I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 10:44 AM
RE: I have a DEATHLY fear of Dentists? And I have an appt tomorrow?
(23-11-2015 10:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That person (the spoiler) has gingevitis, (infected gums) ... from whatever, ...... it may not have started with the teeth.
Rude.

I was acquainted with a man who had teeth similar to the spoiler photo. It wasn't quite as bad but it was still pretty horrible. He was such a nice man but he had a deathly fear of dentists and I don't think he had ever been to a dentist in his life. He was about 39 or 40 when he died in his sleep. The coroner couldn't find a reason for his death but I kept thinking his teeth caused an infection that went into his brain or something. I'm not a medical professional so I shouldn't speculate but I still think his early death was caused by his dreadful, rotting gums and teeth.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 11:00 AM
(23-11-2015 10:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 10:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That person (the spoiler) has gingevitis, (infected gums) ... from whatever, ...... it may not have started with the teeth.
Rude.

I was acquainted with a man who had teeth similar to the spoiler photo. It wasn't quite as bad but it was still pretty horrible. He was such a nice man but he had a deathly fear of dentists and I don't think he had ever been to a dentist in his life. He was about 39 or 40 when he died in his sleep. The coroner couldn't find a reason for his death but I kept thinking his teeth caused an infection that went into his brain or something. I'm not a medical professional so I shouldn't speculate but I still think his early death was caused by his dreadful, rotting gums and teeth.

A friend of a friend fell over dead on a Washington DC golf course from a brain abcess that started with a simple infected tooth. That said, usually people get endocarditis (heart valve infections) from bad teeth if it moves around. Infected teeth make me nervous. Lots of people don't get how serious infected teeth can be. Unsure

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-11-2015, 05:53 PM
****UPDATE!
Okay so my appointment was supposed to be on friday, but my dogs vet visit ran over and I had to reschedule. So I went yesterday! And everyone was so nice! There was no shaming, no rude attitude, they were patient and they told me "I'm in good hands". The dentist was very nice, I told him about my experiences with dentists and how they've all been bad and he said he's going to have to change that. So the results, he wants me to get all of my wisdom teeth pulled at once, he gave me a referral. I also have a cavity apparently on my front two teeth (it's not noticeable but he saw it), so he wants to get those taken care of immediately. I am nervous about the procedures, but I definitely feel much better than I was!
[+] 3 users Like xastrogasmx's post
24-11-2015, 05:54 PM
(22-11-2015 12:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How did it go, Xastro?

I hope you fared better than this fella...

Trigger Warning:
[Image: badteeth.jpeg?token=%2FnHeVKehIEKms4EdueBSRU5SiXQ%3D]

ETA: Evidently some members *cough*kimmies*cough* really couldn't handle resisting clicking on the spoiler button. Really...don't click if you might trigger a gag response! Evil_monster
omg that is horrific.
24-11-2015, 05:55 PM
(23-11-2015 11:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 10:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was acquainted with a man who had teeth similar to the spoiler photo. It wasn't quite as bad but it was still pretty horrible. He was such a nice man but he had a deathly fear of dentists and I don't think he had ever been to a dentist in his life. He was about 39 or 40 when he died in his sleep. The coroner couldn't find a reason for his death but I kept thinking his teeth caused an infection that went into his brain or something. I'm not a medical professional so I shouldn't speculate but I still think his early death was caused by his dreadful, rotting gums and teeth.

A friend of a friend fell over dead on a Washington DC golf course from a brain abcess that started with a simple infected tooth. That said, usually people get endocarditis (heart valve infections) from bad teeth if it moves around. Infected teeth make me nervous. Lots of people don't get how serious infected teeth can be. Unsure

yeah I've heard stories like that and that freaks me out really bad. Doesn't help much that I'm a hypochondriac.
24-11-2015, 05:56 PM
(23-11-2015 10:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
Rude.

I would think that his death was related to that too, especially if he had rotting gums.
24-11-2015, 05:57 PM
(20-11-2015 07:20 PM)bemore Wrote:  Your sub-conscious is only looking out for your safety and well being, that's why it is kicking in your fight or flight mechanism based upon past experiences/memories/emotions. Whilst it may seem irrational or get in the way your only trying to protect yourself, its beyond your analytical/conscious control so its not anything to be embarrassed about.

Studies have found that adopting "power poses" can reduce cortisol (the stress hormone) in your body and increase testosterone. Have a read about them here or you can watch the video that its based on here and give them a whirl before you go in.

Also you may also like to try this technique that I teach clients...

1: Think about going to the dentists, imagine going in and sitting in the waiting room, associate as best you can (really imagine/picture/focus/feel, that you are there) rate your anxiety from 1-10 with 1 being the least and 10 being the most.
2: Become aware of your posture, how are you holding your body.. your head, shoulders, hands.(we will refer to this as the negative posture)
3: Shake yourself loose, just relax.
4: Think about how your body was positioned previously when you thought about the dentists, adopt that negative posture again (without thinking about the dentists)
5: Shake yourself loose again, just relax.
6: Think of a time when you felt confident and powerful, notice how your body positioning may change, notice where your shoulders are, your head, your chin. If you cant think of a particular time just imagine how you would look (we will refer to this as the positive posture) or you can adopt one of the "power poses" from above.
7: Shake yourself loose again, just relax.
8: Think of something you enjoy doing, like a hobby, a pastime or something where you just feel relaxed and at ease....in control. Again, just become aware of how your body is positioned, where your head is, shoulders, hands etc (we will refer to this as the Neutral posture)
9: Shake yourself loose again, just relax.
10: Have a think and remind yourself about the three postures you have just gone through.
11: Adopt the negative posture and hold for a few seconds, then adopt the positive posture and hold for a few seconds, then finally adopt the neutral posture and hold for a few seconds.
12: Repeat these in the same order (Negative posture, positive posture, neutral posture) about 5 or six times more, but change between each postures quicker every time you cycle through them.
13: Shake yourself down and relax again.
14: Now put yourself in the situation again associate/imagine/feel the moment (visiting the dentist) Rate your anxiety level from 1-10 with 1 being the least and 10 being the most.

Other than that eveyrbody elses advice has been spot on. Having a fear of the dentist is quite common and im sure your new dentist will have seen many people just like yourself. Do not be embarrassed to let them know that you have had bad experiences previously.

Thank you for this! I'm actually going to try this, I would like to learn more about power poses and things like that. i've heard that they can actually work with anxiety!
24-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Too soon for the Marathon Man, "Is it safe?"

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-11-2015, 06:02 PM
(24-11-2015 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Too soon for the Marathon Man, "Is it safe?"

Way too soon for that marathon man. Stuff is disturbing.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
27-11-2015, 04:34 PM
When a teen my dentist treated teens like we were all troublemakers. The way he'd frozen me it affected a nerve going up to my eye. When he returned, the tears were flowing because of the pain altho I didn't make a sound. When he asked me I told him so he slapped the other cheek "to give me something else to think about". After that a mule couldn't drag me in to any dentist. Finally I had to go. During the preliminary exam the new dentist remarked on how tense I was. He offered to give me a couple of sedatives to be taken prior to the next appt. but no driving. They worked nicely, I was in like slow motion, and relaxed which made his job easier. Easier on both of us.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post