I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.
I've been wanting to get a dog for a while now. I've finally moved into a house with a large fenced in yard, so I'm getting close to making the leap.

I wonder what sorts of tips some of you dog-lovers have. What sorts of breeds are your favorites? What sorts of things should I consider in bringing a dog home?

My favorite breed are pugs. My mom has had one for years and it's just the cutest, sweetest, funniest dog I've ever been around. So I'm partial to pugs, but they're also a bit pricey. We had dogs when I was growing up, but we always just took in strays or were given a dog, so I'm hesitant to shell out the big bucks on an animal. Plus the Vet bills can get high for a pure-bred pug.

So what say ye?

Also, ideas for names are welcome. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 08:20 AM
RE: I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.
Don't be a tool - get a shelter mutt. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-04-2012, 08:32 AM
How much space do you have available. A big dog will *need* space, not just a yard. You can get a big dog if you're OK to go walking with it. Otherwise small dog doesn't need as big an area so not sure but you might get away with just letting it roam in the yard.

Personally big dogs are my favourite - I detest small yappy things Tongue

Coolest breeds IMO:
Rhodesian Ridgeback - hard to get over there I imagine.
Boxer.
Bull Mastiff - these are nice dogs because they shut the fuck up. *But* they can be quite aggro & kill other dogs - they're incredibly strong. Still, wonderful dogs.
Of course Collies are great too - hyper intelligent and playful.
Labradors - especially golden Labs are just the cutest dogs ever. Very sweet tempered.
Oh ja, can't forget Staffies - Staffordshire terriers Big Grin They're great. Completely and utterly without fear or reason. Also very playful. I've heard that they can be very possessive of their owners - they want to be top dog, full stop. Staffies are medium dogs - quite small but very sturdy and energetic. He/She'll need walkies if you get one.

Think Stark is the guy you need to talk to, he'll have the low down Smile I'm just a dog appreciator Tongue
16-04-2012, 08:38 AM
(16-04-2012 08:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  How much space do you have available. A big dog will *need* space, not just a yard. You can get a big dog if you're OK to go walking with it. Otherwise small dog doesn't need as big an area so not sure but you might get away with just letting it roam in the yard.

Coolest breeds IMO:
Boxer.
Bull Mastiff - these are nice dogs because they shut the fuck up. *But* they can be quite aggro & kill other dogs - they're incredibly strong. Still, wonderful dogs.
Labradors - especially golden Labs are just the cutest dogs ever. Very sweet tempered.
Oh ja, can't forget Staffies - Staffordshire terriers Big Grin They're great. Completely and utterly without fear or reason. Also very playful. I've heard that they can be very possessive of their owners - they want to be top dog, full stop. Staffies are medium dogs - quite small but very sturdy and energetic. He/She'll need walkies if you get one.

Think Stark is the guy you need to talk to, he'll have the low down Smile I'm just a dog appreciator Tongue
I know I'm revealing my effeminate side, but I'm not really into larger dogs, and I'm definitely not into macho aggro dogs. I do like the disposition of labs, but again...not into big dogs.

And, I'm relieved that moronDog wasn't offering himself up! Tongue

Oh, and I have a pretty nice sized yard, so not concerned about space issues.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-04-2012, 08:39 AM
A hole in your heart? You should have that checked out, man.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
16-04-2012, 08:41 AM
(16-04-2012 08:39 AM)frankiej Wrote:  A hole in your heart? You should have that checked out, man.
It used to be a God-sized hole. Undecided

~Izel
16-04-2012, 08:44 AM
At least it has healed a little.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
16-04-2012, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 05:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Here I thought you were gonna tell us you had a Formen Ovale, and needed surgery. Name it Bucky.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I highly recommend a Vizsla

[Image: Vizsla-16.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-04-2012, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 09:01 AM by Dom.)
(16-04-2012 08:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 08:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  How much space do you have available. A big dog will *need* space, not just a yard. You can get a big dog if you're OK to go walking with it. Otherwise small dog doesn't need as big an area so not sure but you might get away with just letting it roam in the yard.

Coolest breeds IMO:
Boxer.

I know I'm revealing my effeminate side, but I'm not really into larger dogs, and I'm definitely not into macho aggro dogs. I do like the disposition of labs, but again...not into big dogs.

And, I'm relieved that moronDog wasn't offering himself up! Tongue

Oh, and I have a pretty nice sized yard, so not concerned about space issues.

Ok, small dogs.

There are lots of things to consider. One is shedding hair. You have two options here:

1. get a dog whose hair grows continuously and this dog will need regular clipping.

2. get a dog who doesn't need clipping, but sheds.

Personally I prefer the clipping to the vacuuming. But, different folks, different strokes. Your pug sheds.

Then you have high energy and low energy dogs. Terriers are all high energy. High energy dogs need more of your time to stay out of trouble. Your pug is a low energy dog.

Then you have health maintenance. Dogs with skin folds and "punched in" noses are high health maintenance - they get infections and rashes in the skin folds and breathing issues are common. That's your pug.

Pure bred versus rescue:

Well, the health thing about pure breds is kind of a myth, it's just with pure breds the issues that can arise are known before hand because they are common to the breed. With others you just do not know, genes can combine for better or worse and it is a crap shoot. If you're going to get a dog, "in sickness or in health" is a given. With a pure bred you can demand a health certificate, like have a vet certify that there are no issues with your pug's nose or your Shepherd's hips etc. Since you know the issue that is common to the breed, you can scan for it.

A puppy or an older dog. Puppies are high maintenance if you want to raise a well mannered dog. A lot of people don't have a life style that lends itself to raising a pup (like being at work all day), or they don't have the understanding of doggie logic to do a decent job. Result is a lot of messed up dogs that end up locked in the yard all the time, and then chained because the single dog left alone on a yard will get into trouble. It's unnatural for a dog not to have a pack, people or other dogs will do. So, unless you can make a serious time commitment, get an adult dog. The SPCA will know what dog is suitable for your life style and they know how well trained they are and everything. The pound is a crap shot.

If you have questions, ask me anytime, I am a dog fanatic and I have spent years in dog training. It is very important to find the correct match....it's not like there is a better or worse breed/breed combo/age etc, it's that the dog must match your life style.

Browse though http://www.petfinder.com . It will list adoptable dogs in your area and give lots of details about the individual dogs. It will also help you find local reputable rescues. A good rescue will make sure you and the dog are a perfect match.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post