I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 09:09 AM
RE: I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.
GT, that's a beautiful looking dog.

Dom, I was hoping you'd chime in. Good points to consider. I do live alone, but I often work from home or am only gone for part of the day to see clients, so I'm not overly concerned about leaving a dog alone...unless it's in the puppy stage. I kind of want to get a puppy for two reasons that come to mind: I think want to be able to train the dog, and I'm sentimental so I don't want to get an older dog that's going to die off in a few years and break my poor little heart.

The shedding pug is indeed a drawback...as are the health issues you pointed out and I see in my mom's dog.
Here's Dolly from a couple of Christmases ago: [Image: 2qmf788.jpg]

Thanks for the Petfinder link. That's the sort of thing I was hoping to find.

Sorry, Bucky...there will be plenty of other things for you do do surgery on me later...

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Get a beagle. Everyone knows that beagles are the coolest dogs around.

Plus you'll probably get a yellow bird thing that hangs around the beagle that you can enjoy. And if any other countries invade (pretty much a sure thing the way the states conduct international business) you'll have a flying ace on your side.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 09:49 AM
(16-04-2012 09:29 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Get a beagle. Everyone knows that beagles are the coolest dogs around.

Plus you'll probably get a yellow bird thing that hangs around the beagle that you can enjoy. And if any other countries invade (pretty much a sure thing the way the states conduct international business) you'll have a flying ace on your side.
Actually, that's a great idea. Beagles are pretty cool. And I wouldn't have to worry about picking a name, but I'm not really into the twittering yellow bird thing.

Oh, that reminds me...I also am interested in what cool names people have for dogs.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Maybe if you eat a dog then you will fill that dog sized hole inside you.

[Image: opforum1.png]
16-04-2012, 10:02 AM
(16-04-2012 09:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  GT, that's a beautiful looking dog.

Dom, I was hoping you'd chime in. Good points to consider. I do live alone, but I often work from home or am only gone for part of the day to see clients, so I'm not overly concerned about leaving a dog alone...unless it's in the puppy stage. I kind of want to get a puppy for two reasons that come to mind: I think want to be able to train the dog, and I'm sentimental so I don't want to get an older dog that's going to die off in a few years and break my poor little heart.

The shedding pug is indeed a drawback...as are the health issues you pointed out and I see in my mom's dog.
Here's Dolly from a couple of Christmases ago: [Image: 2qmf788.jpg]

Thanks for the Petfinder link. That's the sort of thing I was hoping to find.

Sorry, Bucky...there will be plenty of other things for you do do surgery on me later...

For a dog with the same funny nose and huge eyes, minus the skin folds and shedding, you can consider a Pekinese and keep it in a puppy clip (short hair).

Pekinese are accutally courageous and good watch dogs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekingese

Also, Lhasa Apsos (even better watch dogs and no nose issues) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa_Apso and Shi Tzus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shih_Tzu are big eyed, short nosed, non shedding dogs.

When you see the pics of these, please ignore the show hair, IMO it looks horrible. They are all a lot cuter in puppy clips IMO. I have a Lhasa Apso and I don't brush much except occasionally the ears and tail, if you choose to leave these long. He gets clipped every 3 months or so.

These are the small non-shedding breeds that share a lot of the pug characteristics in looks and personality, but have less health issues and don't shed.

You will likely come across crosses of the above when looking around and that's often a good bet, as well as crosses with mini poodles. The mini poodle crosses usually don't shed either, and they lose the nose issues entirely. They also tend to be very smart.

Share your thoughts and I'll narrow it down.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Snoopy....

I used to have a beagle named cujo.

I think it's funny when animals have really bland people names like Bob or frank. How unimaginative.

When you get the dog say a bunch of names and ask the dog which one they like. It will tell you.
Do the dog the favor you yourself were never given.

I know I wouldn't have picked my name.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
16-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Dogs are cool.

My neighbors have three pugs, I think, two for sure, they are so ugly they are cute.

I have had over the years a Golden Retriever (the best dog ever!), German Shepherds, a Doberman, some mutts of dubious pedigree, and now have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

We also have a dog that was a rescue...Rat Terrier and Chihuahua as best as anyone can tell. We had a struggle with her at first with housebreaking and she is a little twitchy. She's a quiet dog and her fears now rest with loud noises. But she is lovable and sweet. We refer to her as a tongue with a dog attached, she is quite licky.

The two Cavaliers are as different as night and day. One is fairly quiet and lovable and isn't a pest. The other talks a lot, is a little spastic but also loves my lap...she is young and some of the craziness may subside. I didn't think I would like little dogs but I like the three we have and our fenced in corner lot gives them plenty of running room.

Check out a shelter or an adoption day at a Petsmart or similar store. That's where we got Lady, she was up to date on shots and already spayed. I am sucked in by those dogs but really don't need any more right now.

I like dogs much better than most people.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-04-2012, 11:05 AM
(16-04-2012 10:04 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I think it's funny when animals have really bland people names like Bob or frank. How unimaginative.

George will eat you, clown. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
16-04-2012, 12:01 PM
(16-04-2012 10:04 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Snoopy....

I used to have a beagle named cujo.

I think it's funny when animals have really bland people names like Bob or frank. How unimaginative.

When you get the dog say a bunch of names and ask the dog which one they like. It will tell you.
Do the dog the favor you yourself were never given.

I know I wouldn't have picked my name.
I wouldn't pick your name either. Unless it was your Screen name.
I'd go with Gwynnies because it's a super cool name, but I would worry that HoC would think I was taking his God's name in vain even though I would mean it only in the most respectful sense.
Spaniels are pretty cool dogs, Anj. I think I like dogs better than people too. Smile
Mmmmm....now I'm kind of craving a hot dog...

~Izel
16-04-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 12:53 PM by Stark Raving.)
Well you had to expect me to chime in. Lol

First, not to be argumentative, but I gotta address the mix vs purebred thing.

Mutts and mixes DO have lowered health risks and a tendency to be smarter. This is due to hybrid vigor. Speaking as someone who has trained a whole lotta dogs (basics, search and rescue, sniffers, and seeing eye) you can trust me when I say, my experience is pretty good evidence.

That said, looking for retain breed characteristics is still possible when looking for a shelter dog. When a dog expresses breed characteristics strongly in appearance, they will likely do the same for personality. So a mutt that shows a lot of lab in it's looks is probably going to be pretty mellow as an adult. And that bichon x Maltese is still not going to shed so you better get some clippers.

If you are looking for a show dog, get a pug. If you are looking for a companion, stop worrying about looks and try to decide what dog will fill that hole in your heart. Also, consider two dogs. They are pack animals, and training is just as easy with two, and sometimes easier. It will ensure they have companionship at all times (most smal breeds are bred as companionship animals, so the instinct is strong in them and they will benefit from having another dog around in many ways that I can go deeper into if you like).

I have three dogs of my own at the moment, and they are all very different, but compliment each other nicely. My border collie mutt is the ultimate farm dog. Super smart, always by my side, and never underfoot. She is submissive, gentle (she will even here rabbits without exciting them), sometimes I think she even reads my mind.

My staffie (a purebred that I rescued from a pit bull ban that the breed sometimes falls under...don't get me started) is the goofball. Always ready to play, and an alert and accurate doorbell. When my kids are around, she will follow them to the ends of the earth. There is a reason that in some places these are called "nanny dogs". Their preference for the company of children is obvious. These dogs can be (like already, mentioned) the type that will stubbornly vie for dominance, but a good trainer will instill a sense of submission early, and once they accept their role, they settle in nicely as a content and eager to please dog that won't constantly bug you for attention (but they WILL always be ready for some!)

My maltichon (bichon x Maltese) was originally intended as a pet for my wife. He had other plans, and since we always allow the dogs to settle into whatever role works for them within the pack and under us, we rolled with hhis choice to believe he is a big farm dog. The bonus is, he turns into a lap dog as soon as you offer him a lap. He goes on several hour treks in the woods with me and the other dogs, and the little bugger even manages to keep up most of the time. He,s also a great hunting dog. Flushes partridge better than any "hunter" I've ever seen, and because he's so small, he can actually get in close enough to bark them out sometimes. Gives me an audible heads up that the birds are on their way out, which makes a huge difference.

Reason I'm telling you all this (aside from taking a chance to talk about my mutts, which is a chance I'll always take!) is that you have to consider what role your dog/s will play in your life, and let that be your guide when you choose a companion. Force yourself to meet at least ten dogs. Even when you find "the one" keep looking. It's surprising how often people fall in love with a dog, take it home, and discover that it's not the right dog for them. There's plenty of time to love your dog, but when you choose one, follow your head, not your heart.

Oh, and a little tidbit about names. In a dogs mind you can change it's namein two days. Whatever you call it, the dog won't care. So call itdogfor the first two weeks, then, when you know it better it's name will come to you. In two days, the dog will identify with the new name so long as you use it often. Just remember, never use a dogs name like a command. It should get the dogs attention, soit's ready to take a command. Too often, people accidentally train their dog to come when it hears it's name.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post