I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2012, 10:15 AM
RE: I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.
(24-04-2012 09:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So I went to the local shelter and found my new best friend.

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/zt7uw5.jpg[/mg]

She hasn't told me her name yet.

I think your screen door needs some work. Or is the deck not level?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2012, 10:19 AM
(25-04-2012 10:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

She looks cute !

Her name will jump at you when she relaxes, in a week or two. Right now she is concentrating on figuring out her new life - her personality will bloom in a while and then she will do things that inspire names.

How old is she? Any background info available?
She's 8 months old and was found wandering, so that's about all the shelter knew about her. They spayed her, fixed an umbilical hernia and micro chipped her. They identified her as a terrier/Chihuahua mix. She has this funny streak of longer, almost orange terrier fur that runs along her back. It makes her look like she has a Mohawk. Smile

Luc...it was a good angle, but that wasn't why I was down so low. I couldn't get her to turn toward the camera otherwise. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Our Lady is Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix and she's a good and lovable dog. You are going to enjoy your new pal!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-04-2012, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 11:45 AM by Observer.)
Dogs are cool! You can learn a lot from them.

How about calling him ZEUS

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
25-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Yes, very nice mix. I can see the chi in her face and the terrier in her body. She will be protective of you too once she settles. Nice age too. And it sounds like you picked a good shelter.

BTW if anyone wants to donate to animal welfare, don't do the ASPCA, do the local shelters, they put so much money and time into making sure all their animals are tip top when they are adopted out, they deserve medals.

Make sure you take her out into busy situations (on leash) like in front of your local supermarket. It will show her that you are by her side and there is nothing to fear from groups of people. It strengthens your bond as well as socializes her.

When you buy dogfood, look at the ingredients. Grains are really just fillers, dogs are carnivores and in nature only get traces of grain and vegetable matter from their prey. The only grain they can actually digest is rice, the rest is just a filler they do not need at all. So, a good percentage of the dog food you feed is actually going to waste, they just add it to increase volume. Try to pick food that has meat or fish as primary ingredient. Dogs will live on the grainy stuff, but it's not ideal.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey Dom,
I have been feeding Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice...do you have any input on that brand? The dogs seem to like it and are healthy.

25-04-2012, 12:30 PM
(25-04-2012 12:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Hey Dom,
I have been feeding Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice...do you have any input on that brand? The dogs seem to like it and are healthy.

It's a decent brand. It's the ones with grain other than rice that can be a concern.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks! Good to know.

25-04-2012, 06:55 PM
(25-04-2012 11:41 AM)Observer Wrote:  Dogs are cool! You can learn a lot from them.

How about calling him ZEUS

That thought actually crossed my mind, but he's a she so I'm not sure it's a good match.
I was thinking about calling her Ganja. Big Grin

Angie, does your dog have both kinds of fur? Mine has a strip of orangish curlyish fur running from head to tail looking like a terrier, but the sides and head have the short chihuahua fur.
She definitely has rat terrier habits when she outside. She searches out every little hole that she finds and seems to like digging in the grass for worms and bugs.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Now remember, now is the time to encourage good behavior and cut out bad.

Imagine her digging holes all over your yard for years and making it full of craters - do you think you will be ok with that? If she ever has to go to a new home for some reason, most people will not like this at all. So, a sharp "no" when she digs and calling her to you and then praising is the solution - but now and everytime, not just sometimes. She will quit soon.

Things that are cute or funny when first seen can later be a nuisance. I once got a dog from a shelter who turned out to constantly pounce on your feet and bite your shoes. As a tiny pup, this was probably cute and funny and people laughed at it. So the dog learned to get attention that way. Of course in an adult dog it is a total nuisance and makes you trip and startles you. It was likely what landed her in the shelter. It took a while to break her of it.

So, be on the lookout for what you will always appreciate, and what can turn into a nuisance and fix things. it's very easy now that she is new, this is your chance to nip things in the bud and ensure a smooth future for her.

Ganja looks like a good match to me... Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post