I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2012, 08:30 PM
RE: I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.
(25-04-2012 10:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 09:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So I went to the local shelter and found my new best friend.

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/zt7uw5.jpg[/mg]

She hasn't told me her name yet.

I think your screen door needs some work. Or is the deck not level?
The deck is horribly not level...But it is cool because I can open the screen door and not have to prop it open since it props itself on the deck.

Nor is the dining room...you can put a ball on the floor and it will roll by itself to the other side of the room. I pointed this out to the owners (they bought it mostly unseen in a short sale), and they said, "Well, get what you pay for." I only pay $400 a month for a two bedroom house and huge yard. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2012, 08:49 PM
(25-04-2012 07:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  Now remember, now is the time to encourage good behavior and cut out bad.

Imagine her digging holes all over your yard for years and making it full of craters - do you think you will be ok with that? If she ever has to go to a new home for some reason, most people will not like this at all. So, a sharp "no" when she digs and calling her to you and then praising is the solution - but now and everytime, not just sometimes. She will quit soon.

Things that are cute or funny when first seen can later be a nuisance. I once got a dog from a shelter who turned out to constantly pounce on your feet and bite your shoes. As a tiny pup, this was probably cute and funny and people laughed at it. So the dog learned to get attention that way. Of course in an adult dog it is a total nuisance and makes you trip and startles you. It was likely what landed her in the shelter. It took a while to break her of it.

So, be on the lookout for what you will always appreciate, and what can turn into a nuisance and fix things. it's very easy now that she is new, this is your chance to nip things in the bud and ensure a smooth future for her.

Ganja looks like a good match to me... Smile
Excellent advice. I second this.

Ganga? Fuck yes! Especially with the cool "orange hairs" on her back!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-04-2012, 09:06 PM
(25-04-2012 08:49 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ganga? Fuck yes! Especially with the cool "orange hairs" on her back!
That just very well may have sealed the deal, although another friend suggested, Nug. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-04-2012, 10:02 PM
(25-04-2012 06:55 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-04-2012 11:41 AM)Observer Wrote:  Dogs are cool! You can learn a lot from them.

How about calling him ZEUS

That thought actually crossed my mind, but he's a she so I'm not sure it's a good match.
I was thinking about calling her Ganja. Big Grin

Angie, does your dog have both kinds of fur? Mine has a strip of orangish curlyish fur running from head to tail looking like a terrier, but the sides and head have the short chihuahua fur.
She definitely has rat terrier habits when she outside. She searches out every little hole that she finds and seems to like digging in the grass for worms and bugs.
Lady's fur is pretty much the same all over, short and light brown with a couple lighter spots. And she's apparently water repellent...it's like trying to bathe a duck. It takes forever to get enough water on her to make any lather.

My older Cavalier's fur sucks up water like a sponge.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-04-2012, 11:38 PM
What a sweetie! Rather than Zeus, she looks like an Isis to me... but if you insist on pricking up the ears of the nearest constable, I suppose I would prefer Nug (Nuggy) over Ganja.
How about good old Doobie; kind of a unisex name with the preferred double entendre. Thumbsup

She has that look ... she's been lost and she's afraid she might get lost again. You need to hug her at least twice a day... lots. Yes

Go to the meat section at the grocery and talk to the butcher and ask if you can make arrangements to buy at least once a week, stuff like tripe(very important) and trimmings of beef, lamb, pork, whatever is fresh. Often, trimmings will be lumped in a bag to be discarded or sold to the nearest pig farmer. You do want this for free, but offering to pay would put you on top of the list for the best of the trimmings. Tails are good cartilage but don't be afraid to include some bones. This stuff can be refrigerated and even frozen for a time, but do try to include fresh raw meat whenever you can. Many dogs can have skin issues and even weight issues because they lack raw meat in their diets. She's small but don't let her size fool you; she's a wild beast - do not deprive her of her true nature... a big old soup bone now and then would be a yummy treat.
Drooling
About the collar... I would suggest a body harness rather than a neck collar. My dog broke some bones in his neck when he darted after a squirrel while tethered to a line on his neck collar. After he healed, I got him a harness and he loved it... and I found I could pick him up like a little dog suitcase - way cool.

She is lovely. I'm glad you found her... make sure she doesn't get lost again. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
25-04-2012, 11:48 PM
She's gorgeous, Erx! Yes

Yes, hug her heaps Heart

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
28-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I thought this thread needed some visual aids:

[Image: 4014923_700b.jpg]

I think 9gag has stolen my soul.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 7 users Like Smooshmonster's post
28-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Smoosh, that's a nice post, but I'm pretty sure I'll die alone in my house and Snuffy will eat me starting with my eyes.

~Izel
30-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Good thing you didn't have a George-sized hole in your heart...

[Image: th_IMAG0060.jpg]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a George-sized gut.

Big Grin

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post