I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 02:50 AM
RE: I have a Dog-sized hole in my heart.
(16-04-2012 08:12 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've been wanting to get a dog for a while now. I've finally moved into a house with a large fenced in yard, so I'm getting close to making the leap.

I wonder what sorts of tips some of you dog-lovers have. What sorts of breeds are your favorites? What sorts of things should I consider in bringing a dog home?

My favorite breed are pugs. My mom has had one for years and it's just the cutest, sweetest, funniest dog I've ever been around. So I'm partial to pugs, but they're also a bit pricey. We had dogs when I was growing up, but we always just took in strays or were given a dog, so I'm hesitant to shell out the big bucks on an animal. Plus the Vet bills can get high for a pure-bred pug.

So what say ye?

Also, ideas for names are welcome. Big Grin

My wife and I adopted a mut. We absolutely love her very much, but there are downsides. I have to get up in the morning even if I have off to walk her. Even in the dead of winter. I highly recommend adopting one. That being said, I really love birds as pets. The most you can hope for out of a dog is maybe 16 years with a small breed. There are birds of every type possible. For less than 300 dollars, you can get one that will live about 35 years. My grey watches tv. Her favorite show is the one where the chefs compete on the food network. She is about 30 years old, and I can expect to get at least another 30 years if not more out of her. I got her for free and so far she has only cost my 100 dollars in vet bills and that was by choice. Birds are smart enough to understand many things that dogs either don't or take forever to get. I also have a housecat and there is more danger of my grey biting the cat than the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Birdguy1979's post
09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
The resurrection of this thread calls for a Snuffy picture update.

The rag toy at her feet means it's time to play fetch!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Erx, she is cute as she can be! So glad you two found each other.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-08-2012, 11:58 AM
(09-08-2012 09:46 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The resurrection of this thread calls for a Snuffy picture update.

Awwwwww, widdle puppy dog.Hug

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Gonna do some food coloring for Halloween? Her light hair will probably take it pretty well. She has kind of a little faux-hawk thing going on doesn't she? She could really punk out! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-08-2012, 12:37 PM
(09-08-2012 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 09:46 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The resurrection of this thread calls for a Snuffy picture update.

Awwwwww, widdle puppy dog.Hug

Hey, Erx, that was sincere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2012, 12:46 PM
(09-08-2012 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Awwwwww, widdle puppy dog.Hug

She does have such a sweet little face, doesn't she? She's got personality! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-08-2012, 12:50 PM
(09-08-2012 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  Awwwwww, widdle puppy dog.Hug

Haha...Chas, I know puppies are your kryptonite!

Kim, I like the idea of having her go punk for the Devil's Holiday. She does have a funny Mohawk. I can see pink hair and a big spiked collar. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Kool aid works great if you wanna dye snuffs hair. Our small white dog will be purple this Halloween if my kids have any say in the matter.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-08-2012, 03:34 PM
(09-08-2012 02:50 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 08:12 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've been wanting to get a dog for a while now. I've finally moved into a house with a large fenced in yard, so I'm getting close to making the leap.

I wonder what sorts of tips some of you dog-lovers have. What sorts of breeds are your favorites? What sorts of things should I consider in bringing a dog home?

My favorite breed are pugs. My mom has had one for years and it's just the cutest, sweetest, funniest dog I've ever been around. So I'm partial to pugs, but they're also a bit pricey. We had dogs when I was growing up, but we always just took in strays or were given a dog, so I'm hesitant to shell out the big bucks on an animal. Plus the Vet bills can get high for a pure-bred pug.

So what say ye?

Also, ideas for names are welcome. Big Grin

My wife and I adopted a mut. We absolutely love her very much, but there are downsides. I have to get up in the morning even if I have off to walk her. Even in the dead of winter. I highly recommend adopting one. That being said, I really love birds as pets. The most you can hope for out of a dog is maybe 16 years with a small breed. There are birds of every type possible. For less than 300 dollars, you can get one that will live about 35 years. My grey watches tv. Her favorite show is the one where the chefs compete on the food network. She is about 30 years old, and I can expect to get at least another 30 years if not more out of her. I got her for free and so far she has only cost my 100 dollars in vet bills and that was by choice. Birds are smart enough to understand many things that dogs either don't or take forever to get. I also have a housecat and there is more danger of my grey biting the cat than the other way around.

African greys in particular are very smart.

Have you read about Alex? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_(parrot) Youtube also has videos of him.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post