I have a certified letter!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2017, 02:00 PM
RE: I have a certified letter!
The Economist: But beyond that it’s OK if the tax plan increases the deficit?
President Trump: It is OK, because it won’t increase it for long. You may have two years where you’ll…you understand the expression “prime the pump”?

Econ.: Yes.
Trump: We have to prime the pump.

Econ.: It’s very Keynesian.
Trump: We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?

Econ.: Priming the pump?
Trump: Yeah, have you heard it?

Trump: Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven’t heard it. I mean, I just…I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It’s what you have to do.

Econ.: It’s…
Trump: Yeah, what you have to do is you have to put something in before you can get something out.

Interview with Donald Trump, in The Economist, May 4, 2017

Next week the President will explore the question, "Who's on first?"

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Dr H's post
12-05-2017, 02:15 PM
I've been thinking about what to do about Trump and I think I have an idea and I really WISH I was bullshitting here but I'm not. Let's do like the Brits and just have a King and Prime Minister. Make him King of the United States of America - let him be on TV and Twitter all he wants but strip him of any and all actual power. Let him address Congress once a year or something like that but put a real grown up in the White House to actually run the country.

He'd get all the attention and adulation and he'd have the weight of any real responsibility off his shoulders. I honestly think he would take that deal.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
12-05-2017, 02:21 PM
(12-05-2017 02:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  The Economist: But beyond that it’s OK if the tax plan increases the deficit?
President Trump: It is OK, because it won’t increase it for long. You may have two years where you’ll…you understand the expression “prime the pump”?

Trump: We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?

Trump: Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven’t heard it. I mean, I just…I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It’s what you have to do.

Trump: Yeah, what you have to do is you have to put something in before you can get something out.

Well, at least the next 3 years & 9 months will be ... kind of like watching a sitcom. A strange yet hilarious sitcom. Blink

Kind of a Twin Peaks meets All The President'sMen. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-05-2017, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 03:32 PM by Rockblossom.)
(12-05-2017 02:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  The Economist: But beyond that it’s OK if the tax plan increases the deficit?

Donald Trump's bio says he got a B.S. in Economics in 1968 from Wharton.
Quote:“I went to the Wharton School of Finance,” he said multiple times in a July 11 speech in Phoenix, Ariz. “I’m, like, a really smart person.”
http://www.thedp.com/article/2015/08/don...classmates

So someone with a degree in economics from a first-class business school doesn't recognize the work of John Maynard Keynes? Facepalm Or he kinda/sorta remembers the idea, but thinks he made it up himself? Seems like he either learned nothing about economics in college, forgot everything he once knew, or is genuinely showing signs of forgetfulness/senility. Or he genuinely thinks writers at The Economist (not to mention the rest of the world) are so stupid that they will believe he thought this up on his own. Or maybe he was just playing to his base voters, who actually will believe that their genius leader originated the idea, and will fiercely defend that belief to the death. Because, of course, if Keynes said it, he must have stolen it from Trump. Yes

Later, the interviewer talks about the possibility of a Value Added Tax, and The President doesn't appear to understand what it is.
Quote:But the VAT is…I like it, I like it a lot, in a lot of ways. I don’t mean because of, you know, getting it back, you don’t get all of it back, but you get a lot of it back. But I like a VAT. I don’t think it can be sold in this country, I think it’s too much of a shock to this system. I can tell you if we had a VAT it would make dealing with Mexico very much easier. Because it could neutralise. And I really mean that.
But a big part of what we get from Mexico is raw produce. No manufacturing = no VAT.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
12-05-2017, 05:47 PM
(12-05-2017 03:10 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  So someone with a degree in economics from a first-class business school doesn't recognize the work of John Maynard Keynes? Facepalm

Considering my experiences with my mother-in-law, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Trump suffering from dementia. She also rationalized all sorts of crazy perceptions and statements.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
12-05-2017, 05:48 PM
(duplicate deleted)
12-05-2017, 06:16 PM
(12-05-2017 03:10 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  

Donald Trump's bio says he got a B.S. in Economics in 1968 from Wharton.
Quote:“I went to the Wharton School of Finance,” he said multiple times in a July 11 speech in Phoenix, Ariz. “I’m, like, a really smart person.”
http://www.thedp.com/article/2015/08/don...classmates

So someone with a degree in economics from a first-class business school doesn't recognize the work of John Maynard Keynes? Facepalm Or he kinda/sorta remembers the idea, but thinks he made it up himself? Seems like he either learned nothing about economics in college, forgot everything he once knew, or is genuinely showing signs of forgetfulness/senility. Or he genuinely thinks writers at The Economist (not to mention the rest of the world) are so stupid that they will believe he thought this up on his own. Or maybe he was just playing to his base voters, who actually will believe that their genius leader originated the idea, and will fiercely defend that belief to the death. Because, of course, if Keynes said it, he must have stolen it from Trump. Yes

Later, the interviewer talks about the possibility of a Value Added Tax, and The President doesn't appear to understand what it is.
Quote:But the VAT is…I like it, I like it a lot, in a lot of ways. I don’t mean because of, you know, getting it back, you don’t get all of it back, but you get a lot of it back. But I like a VAT. I don’t think it can be sold in this country, I think it’s too much of a shock to this system. I can tell you if we had a VAT it would make dealing with Mexico very much easier. Because it could neutralise. And I really mean that.
But a big part of what we get from Mexico is raw produce. No manufacturing = no VAT.

Do you think puppet has ever written a paper on his own? Most likely he paid--or bullied--the smart kids to do his work for him.

He transferred to Wharton after starting at Fordham because he couldn't get accepted at any Ivy League School despite his dad's money and despite the standards of admission being much, much lower at that time. At Wharton he majored in real estate (where the degree was economics) and was a middle-of-the-pack student at best.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
(12-05-2017 02:15 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I've been thinking about what to do about Trump and I think I have an idea and I really WISH I was bullshitting here but I'm not. Let's do like the Brits and just have a King and Prime Minister. Make him King of the United States of America - let him be on TV and Twitter all he wants but strip him of any and all actual power. Let him address Congress once a year or something like that but put a real grown up in the White House to actually run the country.

He'd get all the attention and adulation and he'd have the weight of any real responsibility off his shoulders. I honestly think he would take that deal.

> I have a better idea. Let's do like they did in an episode of South Park: Put him on an ice floe and set him adrift. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
12-05-2017, 06:50 PM
(12-05-2017 06:16 PM)julep Wrote:  Do you think puppet has ever written a paper on his own? Most likely he paid--or bullied--the smart kids to do his work for him.

He transferred to Wharton after starting at Fordham because he couldn't get accepted at any Ivy League School despite his dad's money and despite the standards of admission being much, much lower at that time. At Wharton he majored in real estate (where the degree was economics) and was a middle-of-the-pack student at best.

Oh, I have long held the opinion that he paid others to do most of the work for him. Of course, I can't prove that. He was running his own little real estate business while in college - buying up houses, fixing them, them flipping them for a profit. Of course, the "fixing" part was done by other students he hired cheaply because they needed the money. There were some rumors floating around that some of them did other things for him covered by the "salary" they got for cleaning and painting houses - like writing term papers. Of course, none of them would admit to doing that, because it could get them kicked out of school. True or just rumors? I don't know. (A few years younger than Trump, I used to type term papers for other students. A couple of times, I was offered a lot more money to "type" a 10-page term paper from a 1-page outline, but I declined. Being a cynic, I'm sure some other student accepted.)

The faculties and alumni associations at Fordham and Wharton are oddly silent when his name comes up. They don't seem eager to claim him as a famous alumnus. All of his books were ghostwritten, even though he claims that he wrote them. I've seem no evidence the he ever wrote anything longer than a tweet or a 1-page talking points page, though his letter to Comey sound like authentic stream-of-consciousness Trump. He also doesn't read anything longer than one page, though that may be because he needs reading glasses but is too vain to be seen wearing them.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
12-05-2017, 07:49 PM
(12-05-2017 06:25 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 02:15 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I've been thinking about what to do about Trump and I think I have an idea and I really WISH I was bullshitting here but I'm not. Let's do like the Brits and just have a King and Prime Minister. Make him King of the United States of America - let him be on TV and Twitter all he wants but strip him of any and all actual power. Let him address Congress once a year or something like that but put a real grown up in the White House to actually run the country.

> I have a better idea. Let's do like they did in an episode of South Park: Put him on an ice floe and set him adrift. Yes

...with a polar bear.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post