I have a cold and feel like shit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 08:23 AM
I have a cold, feel like shit, and have a ton of work to do today. Can anyone make me feel better?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2017, 08:27 AM
RE: I have a cold and feel like shit
Hope you feel better!

[Image: eb66560474e75d362f8959abcf236acd.jpg]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
23-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Nice!
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
23-01-2017, 09:22 AM
It will make you feel better but you won't get any work done: 1/2 oz Nyquil, 1/2 oz good scotch (dark rum will work in a pinch). Tastes awful, you'll sleep like a baby.

With medications and treatment a cold will take about 7 days to go away. With no meds or treatment, it will take about a week.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
23-01-2017, 09:22 AM
[Image: 6d2392fb16f562d1b35393314035fc68d5e939c0...d7c9de.jpg]

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
23-01-2017, 09:31 AM
(23-01-2017 09:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  It will make you feel better but you won't get any work done: 1/2 oz Nyquil, 1/2 oz good scotch (dark rum will work in a pinch). Tastes awful, you'll sleep like a baby.

With medications and treatment a cold will take about 7 days to go away. With no meds or treatment, it will take about a week.

My general experience is that an unmedicated cold lasts 3 or 4 days (although you'll be miserable for those 3 or 4 days). With medication, it can drag on for weeks (because the medication inhibits your body's ability to "purge" the cold -- by sneezing, coughing, noseblowing, etc.).

However, the last two colds I've had did not follow that pattern. Early last year, I had a head cold that lasted a good week, then turned into a chest cold/bronchitis that lasted another couple of weeks. And just recently, I had one that lasted about a week, sort of went away for a week, then came back for a week (or maybe that was two separate colds). My officemate has had deep chest congestion (like I had last year) for at least two weeks. I hope I don't get that one.
23-01-2017, 09:37 AM
(23-01-2017 09:31 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  My officemate has had deep chest congestion (like I had last year) for at least two weeks. I hope I don't get that one.

A number of years ago I contracted bilateral (double) pneumonia as a result of a bad chest cold. Doc wanted to hospitalize me but I refused; I've seen the inner workings of hospitals and want nothing to do with them.

It laid me flat for about six weeks.

About a year later I got it again.

Lungs are permanently scarred now, so when I get a cold I have to be very, very careful. Doc said same thing you mentioned: if you get all medicated up, your body will have a harder time clearing the virus.

So I, too, hope you avoid the chest infection. It can lead to some pretty severe nastiness.
23-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Here's a poem:

Suck it up,
Buttercup!

...but seriously, call in sick (explain you don't want your coworkers to get as sick as you) and try the NyQuil that you have to show your drivers license to buy. It'll help you sleep through your symptoms.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
23-01-2017, 09:58 AM
I use steamers and the liquid Vicks. There's usually a little well to put the liquid Vicks stuff in and I set it near where I'm sitting all miserable and forlorn. Sadcryface Then I take ibuprophen and drink tea all day long.

[Image: vicks%20vaporizer.jpg?itok=WGDCAnws]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-01-2017, 10:07 AM
When I have a bad cold, the first thing I do is increase the amount of clear hot liquids (coffee and tea without milk, chicken or vegetable broth, or even sip plain hot water) and cut out dairy products as much as possible. If necessary I take a decongestant for clogged sinuses, or a cough medicine with guaifenesin if there's a lot of phlegm in the lower respiratory tract. That generally keeps me well enough to function and to sleep at night.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user