I have a confession

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 12:53 PM
I have a confession
After having watched about ten episodes spread out over the course of the show thus far, I came to a conclusion. I don't like the Atheist Experience. The hosts are all nice and okay, but the callers...I just hit mute as often as not and then if I'm paying attention, un-mute for the replies. How Dillahunty and the others have the patience to listen to many of those people stumble through their questions and commentary is beyond me.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
15-06-2016, 01:02 PM
RE: I have a confession
(15-06-2016 12:53 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  After having watched about ten episodes spread out over the course of the show thus far, I came to a conclusion. I don't like the Atheist Experience. The hosts are all nice and okay, but the callers...I just hit mute as often as not and then if I'm paying attention, un-mute for the replies. How Dillahunty and the others have the patience to listen to many of those people stumble through their questions and commentary is beyond me.

That's it. You're out. Being a theist is one thing, but insulting our religion???

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like morondog's post
15-06-2016, 01:09 PM
(15-06-2016 01:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 12:53 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  After having watched about ten episodes spread out over the course of the show thus far, I came to a conclusion. I don't like the Atheist Experience. The hosts are all nice and okay, but the callers...I just hit mute as often as not and then if I'm paying attention, un-mute for the replies. How Dillahunty and the others have the patience to listen to many of those people stumble through their questions and commentary is beyond me.

That's it. You're out. Being a theist is one thing, but insulting our religion???

Tongue

I'm sorry I came between you all and the whole "personal relationship with reality" as the tee shirt says. Tongue

In all seriousness, really...I'd not have half the patience those hosts do.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
15-06-2016, 01:19 PM
I listen to about half of what the callers say because most of them keep repeating themselves. I like to hear what Matt has to say. He's so bright and succinct in his replies. I wish I could borrow his brain for a few hours.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-06-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm with you. I don't spend a lot of time in the Atheist Vs Theist area due to the lack of ability of the religious posters (in general- you are certainly an exception!) to put together logical sentences. It's just painful for me to see.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
15-06-2016, 01:22 PM
It is painful sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-06-2016, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 04:14 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Skyking, glad it's not just me...heh.

Fireball, part of me mostly avoids that board due to "What if it raises a question I can't answer to my own satisfaction" and then part of me avoids it for the exact same reason at times. Especially the Conspiratheists. (And thanks for the exception comment!)

Dancefortwo, totally agreed. He's really brilliant, and the intellectual honesty is so very much appreciated. I enjoyed his wife's de-conversion story too, not necessarily because I want people to abandon our shared faith, but because it was well thought out, and pretty much the whole thing was like walking back into my own Baptist days and what it was like to come out as a Catholic to (now) former Baptist friends.

I have to admit too, to laughing really hard in one episode when one caller asked about a video AaronRa did and how to find it. And then they were like, "Well let's see, finding AaronRa...finding AaronRa..." and then he walks on to camera from the audience to answer the question.

15-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I find listener-based shows most all suffer the same problem -- callers who are more often inarticulate. A big part of that, no doubt, is the nervousness that comes with knowing one's words are being broadcast. But it's true that there are plenty of atheists who cannot succinctly describe their positions ... just like any other group, I imagine.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 02:28 PM
My confession: I've never watched and probably never will. But I always dislike the call-in parts of any show because I get so impatient with the callers.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-06-2016, 02:34 PM
No matter how many times the callers are told, at least one will not turn the delayed feed down when it's their turn.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post