I have a confession

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 06:33 PM
RE: I have a confession
(15-06-2016 01:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...
Catholic

What's your excuse?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-06-2016, 09:23 PM
I forgot the atheist experience existed.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
15-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Outside of the two atheist forums, I don't hunt out atheist media at all. And I'm not here on the forums to reinforce my (lack of) belief -- I don't often engage in religious convo here either -- but for the people. There's a couple here and a couple at AF I really like.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Further confession: I have now graduated to God's Not Dead villain status. Just spent seven hours outdoors with a group of liberal academics (only theist present there also), discussing things like NPR, politics, zombie films, Marxist themes in film, and indeed, religion and its impact on culture, while we shared bottles of wine (or water in my case) and grilled out. Many an old Baptist from my youth would be horrified and declare my hellboundness. (Note to self in the event of forgetting due to sleepiness, make sure in morning that I'm not tagged in any FB photos with TTA mug, lest nosey minister family member possibly dig up what that symbol means.)

---
CosmicRaven, again I have to go "woot, I'm not alone". Really, I keep seeing it mentioned all over and thought people loved it, but glad to see so many share the same thoughts with it.

Rev, from my lack of Amazonian bodyguards, carefully constructed genetically appealing unknowing seductresses, and Fish Speaker guards, thinking the Pre-Leto II. Wink Just a nice mindless worm, spreading spice for all and eating those who walk with rhythm.

ClydeLee, interesting points there. I've not seen enough to know about format changes overall, though have to admit to enjoying Glasser. But eye to eye with his sister sounds...ridiculously awkward, to agree with you.

Metazoa Zeke, given some of the content, I can see why.

Thump (I am so sorry it's nearly 2am and can't spell well for rest of name). Community is a really important thing to seek out, no matter what one's views or opinions; got to admit I'd probably not be here still if not for liking the folks.

DLJ, because I acknowledge the faults of the Catholic Church, and acknowledge how many things can be problematic belief wise. But despite any cognitive dissonance, I still believe. Tonight as we all waxed on about negative religious experiences around the fire pit, I even said to one woman, "I'm so sorry your grandmother encountered one of those f***ing d-bag career clergy." You know the ones, never have a parish, just always stay on a Bishop's coat tails to become the new Bishop. Don't give a crap about the laity, just out for a career and prestige. This may be a personal thing, but I usually find that one indicator of how well a priest and I will get along is how well he gets along with the chancery; the less a Bishop likes him, the more I probably do. Those ones tend to care about the laity as more than a number and a tithe.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
16-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Religion as a topic outside of politics and insulting large swaves of people with over generalizations is mind numbingly boring, why anyone indulges in the topic goes beyond my comprehension, so shows such as this one or Seths or whatever, atheist or theistic, does my head in how people can listen to them.

I'd much rather watch a science doco on something new than discuss an over disproven book being discussed over and over.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
16-06-2016, 08:47 AM
I enjoy the AE for the most part. I look forward to the crazy callers. Matt is by far the one that I look forward to hearing. But if he's on the show who ever is cohosting with him that day wont get a word in. Tracy is my second most favorite, she's like Matt but with a much softer hand. Russle can be a bit annoying at times, only because it almost feels like he doesn't want to be there, And seems bothered by anyone that calls. What I like most about it is it's the only one of it's kind. A public forum that allows anyone to call in, and get a response. Most of the time when people are on the fence, and looking from the outside in those are the ones that will be deconverted. Not so much the callers.

Other than that I do have a few problems with the show. They need to figure out how to run the audio. I know at times the caller will have the video on in the background (seriously people this is still a thing) and you get the reverb. But a good amount of times their mics cut out. Callers dropped. They've been doing this for how long? With how many supporters? They can't get someone to hook them up with how to set up a proper studio.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
16-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Earmuffs, to each their own. I find the debates to be interesting overall on the topic of religion (or lack there of). But don't mind a good documentary; some of my fonder memories of childhood when it comes to dad was watching the old Nat Geo Explorer stuff on PBS together. Sadly, tried to do Cosmos time before last when I was home, and he turned it to WWE Divas instead.

Commonsensei, to each their own! But fair point on it being a sort of unique show, and in its own way, influencing fence sitters. Ditto on the opinion of Russel, and while I like Matt, I think Tracy is the favorite host overall for me, simply because of the getting a word in edgewise thing. That and in her recent interview with Seth, the attitude of, "Actually I don't really enjoy this, I just do it because it needs done and I'm okay at it." was pretty refreshing.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user