I have a debate idea

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
07-09-2014, 11:30 AM
RE: I have a debate idea
This would require christians to say things they don't understand and for atheists to be moronic disingenuous assholes who are intellectually dishonest.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
09-09-2014, 04:15 AM
(06-09-2014 08:58 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  *Off topic posts that are not relevant to the original post should be against the rules. If enough people report a person for this, that person should be kicked from the thread. By all means I'm happy to hash everything out, but lets not fragment threads. Start a new one! I like to refer back to the threads I participate in and it makes it a lot more difficult when it's cluttered with bullshit (diddo).

If you're referring to the exchange between me and Phil, I have to disagree. I think it's of paramount importance to establish clear definitions about the things we are talking about. A whole thread would be otherwise filled with crap because we'd be running around in circles.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
09-09-2014, 11:35 AM
(09-09-2014 04:15 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 08:58 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  *Off topic posts that are not relevant to the original post should be against the rules. If enough people report a person for this, that person should be kicked from the thread. By all means I'm happy to hash everything out, but lets not fragment threads. Start a new one! I like to refer back to the threads I participate in and it makes it a lot more difficult when it's cluttered with bullshit (diddo).

If you're referring to the exchange between me and Phil, I have to disagree. I think it's of paramount importance to establish clear definitions about the things we are talking about. A whole thread would be otherwise filled with crap because we'd be running around in circles.

No I was talking about diddo trolling, hence why I put diddo's name in parentheses.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
09-09-2014, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 01:20 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
(07-09-2014 11:30 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This would require christians to say things they don't understand and for atheists to be moronic disingenuous assholes who are intellectually dishonest.

This is ridiculously false.

I understand what christians think and why. I could defend the christian's point of view, even though I don't agree with it. A christian should be able to do the same with the atheist's point of view.
Being disingenuous wouldn't be a factor because you would disclaim that each person is playing devil's advocate. It would not require christians to say things they don't understand, IF THEY ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD ATHEISM.

Lets get an atheist who fully understands christianity, and a christian who fully understands atheism, and see how my proposal pans out. It's definitely not an impossible scenario and I don't think there's any need for any disrespect or dishonesty; no need for anyone to be an asshole.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
10-09-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 05:07 PM by Stevil.)
(30-08-2014 11:20 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  How about having 2 opposing sides argue for the opposite side. e.g. an atheist take the christians' side of the debate, and a christian take the atheists' side debate.
I'd be keen to try and take up the argument from a theist's perspective, I promise not to construct strawmen.

I couldn't defend the Christian or Muslim perspective because I can't see past the issues of:
Why pick YHWH or Allah over any other god?
How can human's inventing the concept of right and wrong cause real disease and suffering in creatures unrelated to the actions of humans?
Why speculate about an afterlife?
How can the death of one person atone for the sins of others?
How can it be possible to make sense of a set of books based on allegory, parables, anecdotes..?
How can you justify the requirement of belief?

But I think a purely theistic position is defensible (within limits)