I have a feeling I'm about to be controversial .........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
RE: I have a feeling I'm about to be controversial .........
(04-02-2013 02:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 02:50 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  People need to have empathy but they also need to be able to detach it. Think of an American police officer investigating the murder of a child. He's gotta keep control and carry out his investigation, you don't want him just shooting any remotely viable suspect because he can't control his emotional side. Think of me at work yesterday, one of my co-workers deserved to have my foot so far up their ass they could taste my shoe, but I had to detach myself from the situation.

That's not empathy, that's revenge.
Hughsie?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 03:12 PM
(04-02-2013 03:09 PM)Nappa Wrote:  Jeez Hughsie I was just trying to help! GOSH!

Besides I'm not using eye-witness testimony to prove the holocaust, I was simply showing the contradiction to physics.

I was talking about people's inconsistent attitudes to eye-witness testimony. You gotta admit, you were guilty of it yourself at the perfect moment to illustrate my point. Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
04-02-2013, 03:13 PM
(04-02-2013 02:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's not empathy, that's revenge.

Sorry, I totally missed this reply.

It's revenge but it's motivated by our emotions, by our empathy.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
(04-02-2013 03:12 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 03:09 PM)Nappa Wrote:  Jeez Hughsie I was just trying to help! GOSH!

Besides I'm not using eye-witness testimony to prove the holocaust, I was simply showing the contradiction to physics.

I was talking about people's inconsistent attitudes to eye-witness testimony. You gotta admit, you were guilty of it yourself at the perfect moment to illustrate my point. Big Grin
Because I don't agree with you.
Eyewitness testimony that deals with fleeting moments of seeing someone or something are faulty, our brain fills in the blanks, that which didn't get recorded is filled in.
Seeing a heap of emaciated bodies will be engraved deeply in your brain, no need to fill in blanks.
There was a heap of humans, and they were dead.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
(04-02-2013 03:12 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

I try to stay away from eye-witness testimony as much as possible, but I am guilty of it from time to time.

But take it from my view hughsie, since there are a lot of eye-witness testimony for the holocaust and since it is the reason for one of the primary beliefs in the holocaust there is almost no way that I can try to disprove the holocaust without first trying to disprove eye-witness testimonies.
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
(04-02-2013 03:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 02:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's not empathy, that's revenge.

Sorry, I totally missed this reply.

Doesn't count, since none of our members has gone after Nappa in person. We are still at the empathic stage here, and I trust it will stay that way.

04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
(04-02-2013 03:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Because I don't agree with you.
Eyewitness testimony that deals with fleeting moments of seeing someone or something are faulty, our brain fills in the blanks, that which didn't get recorded is filled in.
Seeing a heap of emaciated bodies will be engraved deeply in your brain, no need to fill in blanks.
There was a heap of humans, and they were dead.

Huh You do know that post was directed at Nappa right?

I may as well point out that the brain isn't just unreliable because it will fill in that blanks. It can easily distort or even falsify memories without us being at all aware. It's kinda scary really.

Best
Worst
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
(04-02-2013 03:16 PM)Nappa Wrote:  I try to stay away from eye-witness testimony as much as possible, but I am guilty of it from time to time.

But take it from my view hughsie, since there are a lot of eye-witness testimony for the holocaust and since it is the reason for one of the primary beliefs in the holocaust there is almost no way that I can try to disprove the holocaust without first trying to disprove eye-witness testimonies.

Burden of proof is not on you, it's on the believer. However, I think there is more than enough reliable evidence for the holocaust to have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Best
Worst
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
(04-02-2013 03:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 03:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Sorry, I totally missed this reply.

Doesn't count, since none of our members has gone after Nappa in person. We are still at the empathic stage here, and I trust it will stay that way.
That's because The Poe Master has been disinclined to engage them in debate The Poe Master still being targeted on though. The Poe Master is very sad, The Poe Master also loves country music.
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
My bad. Blink But just as well.
"The sky Is falling" is mass hysteria caused by fear.
"I saw the sun falling" is a religious delusion, caused by indoctrination.
"I saw a heap of dead bodies" - what exactly is that then?