I have a feeling I'm about to be controversial .........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2013, 01:40 PM
RE: I have a feeling I'm about to be controversial .........
(03-02-2013 01:36 PM)Vera Wrote:  It is vile, though. Not only because it belittles (to put it extremely lightly) the suffering and death of millions, but because it is done either as a result of one's being a racist excuse for a human being or of trying to prove one is smarter than the rest of the world and hundreds of historians. While one is just unimaginably dumb.

The one's who are racist deserve every attack they get and more. I'm not sure that the stupid ones are trying to prove they are smart though. I think statistically only 10% of the world are atheists. Our going against the general way of thinking isn't because we believe we are cleverer, it's because we view the world and evidence pertaining to it in a different way, and don't feel we should hide our views.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2013, 01:46 PM
(03-02-2013 01:40 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The one's who are racist deserve every attack they get and more. I'm not sure that the stupid ones are trying to prove they are smart though. I think statistically only 10% of the world are atheists. Our going against the general way of thinking isn't because we believe we are cleverer, it's because we view the world and evidence pertaining to it in a different way, and don't feel we should hide our views.
Yeah, but the evidence for the Holocaust is, as someone already pointed out, incontrovertible. It'd be less stupid to try and deny gravity.

Also, some instances of stupidity are harmful and this is one of them.

As for whether they think they're smarter, while I can't speak for all of them, Nappy certainly thinks he is. Whatever helps him sleep at night, I guess.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-02-2013, 01:48 PM
I have a feeling I'm about to be controversial .........
It's illegal to question or deny the holocaust in germany and many countries in europe, punishable by up to 3 years in prison. I've also learned it's illegal to question or deny the Holodomor in the Ukraine punishable by up to 2 years in prison.
[/quote]

What is your point? While I don't agree with stifling free speech, perhaps those countries are sick and tired of ridiculous people and their anti Semitic vomitus. I can't condone the reaction, but I sure can understand it.
[+] 2 users Like Tanus Barbarus's post
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
(03-02-2013 01:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, but the evidence for the Holocaust is, as someone already pointed out, incontrovertible. It'd be less stupid to try and deny gravity.

So is the evidence for the moon landings, and evolution. But we don't attack people for denying them, we attack the belief but not the person.

(03-02-2013 01:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  Also, some instances of stupidity are harmful and this is one of them.

Like I said above, we should hate the belief, not necessarily the believer. Besides, we'd be more productive if we engaged them rationally and utterly destroyed their arguments, it should be pretty easy considering how well documented the holocaust is. That way we may open their eyes to reality. Also, as I said in the OP, at least we don't make them look legitimate in the eyes of someone who is open-minded on the subject.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
(03-02-2013 01:52 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Like I said above, we should hate the belief, not necessarily the believer. Besides, we'd be more productive if we engaged them rationally and utterly destroyed their arguments, it should be pretty easy considering how well documented the holocaust is. That way we may open their eyes to reality. Also, as I said in the OP, at least we don't make them look legitimate in the eyes of someone who is open-minded on the subject.
If they haven't opened their eyes by now, more than half a century after it all happened and after the millions of pages written about it, well, I think they're permanently blind. Of their own choosing. If they do not want to see, I sure as hell won't waste my time trying to make them.

And once again - the moon-landing didn't kill millions of people nor did it turn hundred of thousands of others into accomplices to the real culprits. Because the Holocaust didn't affect only the victims, but the (often unwilling, or forced into it) perpetrators.

So yeah, I don't give a fuck about a handful of blind idiots. For all I care, they may go on stumbling through life. I much rather we learnt from the Holocaust and made sure it was the right lesson, too.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Sometimes people are just dickheads anyway. I reserve the right to dislike people for any reason or none. And I think Artic/Nappa has given plenty of reason.

edit: Jesus H Fucking Christ. Size tags again Angry
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:Besides,
we'd be more productive if we engaged them rationally and utterly
destroyed their arguments, it should be pretty easy considering how well
documented the holocaust is. That way we may open their eyes to
reality.

Yeah, caused it works so well with Christianity.....

Sometimes the only way to respond to a dickhead is in a dickhead way. Right or wrong, you just can't reason with some people.

You seem naive to this.
[+] 2 users Like kpax's post
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Chas pretty much hit this one on the head, it is almost inevitably linked to anti-semitism since a vast majority of Holocaust deniers are neo-nazis, and have used Holocaust denial as a tool for disseminating hate. Some other lunatics that are already knee deep in conspiracy might also decide to hop on to the bandwagon since conspiracy theorists often suffer from snowballing, for once you give credence to one conspiracy, it becomes easier to start giving credence to others, but nazi sympathizers and anti-semites are the real driving force behind it. The arguments are just as bullshit as any other conspiracy theory, but the underlying intents and motivations are far more insidious.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
03-02-2013, 02:17 PM
(03-02-2013 02:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  edit: Jesus H Fucking Christ. Size tags again Angry
So, yours is bigger after all Dodgy

(Commence derail. Or not. Probably - not.)

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
(03-02-2013 01:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-02-2013 01:23 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, millions of people were not murdered in conjunction with the moon landings.... Consider or do you know something you're not saying, Hughsie ... ?

Well the moon is the ultimate place to hide any bodies, unless you count Pluto of course. Evil_monster

Bullshit Hughs.

The sun is a a better place. Biggest incinerator we well ever know.

All we need is a mass driver in the right place.

----------------------------------------------------

Going on to your question just so that it doesn't look like I came here just to derail:

I am sure that somebody will disagree with me here but, I think people tend to vilify, hate on or dislike people like Holocaust Deniers for emotional reasons. Before anybody jumps on my back, I'm just saying that emotions tend to get in the way on reasonable thinking, not that it is the primary reason. While many hate for the simply irrational refusal of almost literal mountains of evidence, I think a emotional whip-lash is inevitable, even for the most reasonable of people, (baring the particular breed of psychopaths who don't feel emotion). simply to think of death on such a scale should tug a couple of strings in the empathetic part of peoples minds, people who deny events like the Holocaust, the Port Arthur and Columbine Massacres seem unemotional or uncaring of such losses of life. The apparent lack of empathy or care causes the brain to have a mini-freak out; "Shit! This guy could be big trouble for us, best be defensive and ready for anything." (Of course, this is only speculation, mind, I've certainly not the knowledge of the mind to be totally affirmative of this.)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post