I have a moral dilemma with regards to an IT certification program

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2016, 02:15 AM
I have a moral dilemma with regards to an IT certification program
I've been thinking of taking some classes sponsored by CISCO for getting into IT work, however I read up a bit on them and apparently they've been doing some shady stuff with user privacy, one example being remotely monitoring users' connections, and forcing them to register to a cloud service. Apparently there is also a firewall backdoor that was developed by the NSA, and CISCO's Chief Security Officer naturally denies CISCO was in any way involved with it. So, my problem is whether to stay away from them or just to try to make the best of what it is. I am interested in IT work, but this situation is fairly off-putting.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2016, 02:40 AM
RE: I have a moral dilemma with regards to an IT certification program
(31-05-2016 02:15 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I've been thinking of taking some classes sponsored by CISCO for getting into IT work, however I read up a bit on them and apparently they've been doing some shady stuff with user privacy, one example being remotely monitoring users' connections, and forcing them to register to a cloud service. Apparently there is also a firewall backdoor that was developed by the NSA, and CISCO's Chief Security Officer naturally denies CISCO was in any way involved with it. So, my problem is whether to stay away from them or just to try to make the best of what it is. I am interested in IT work, but this situation is fairly off-putting.

Having spent 20 years in IT Sec and Information Risk, most IT network products will allow some element of this. You won't be partaking in those activities but learning some skills, are they the skills you are interested in? If they are go ahead.
[+] 3 users Like Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
31-05-2016, 03:04 AM
Make the best of it.

The classes will provide you with 'thinking tools'. It's up to you how you use those tools.

If you want to delve into the ethics relating to IT, you need to look at ISO38500 (standard) and COBIT5 (framework).

I know a guy who have been teaching it since COBIT5 was published in 2012 with a 100% pass rate.

Girl_nails

3-day courses available on request.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
31-05-2016, 05:51 AM
I'd just take the course if it helps the career.

To help the moral dilemma a little bit.
The thing with the firewall and so on sounds a bit like an urban myth to me. Cisco is a big and valued company with huge companies as their customers. They cannot afford to do anything that will get them sued (because if there is something you can sue over, you know you will be sued over it.)

Additionally some thoughts on privacy:
Pretty much any service you use nowadays, if it includes software you will have to register it somewhere and the host / seller / manufacturer will have visibility of some or all user data and will be able to interfere. This is important in regards to compliance and such things.
Having worked in a software company that offers cloud service on some products, I can say a little bit about cloud. Of course it depends on what the service is. I would not use cloud service for sharing personal things etc. But to run softwares etc I see no issues. Because all that your server does (and this would probably include CISCO) is to request some software packages from the cloud but everything still runs on your physical server. This makes things like updates and upgrades much more comfortable and customer friendly. I used to be in customer care for such and other products, and I have NEVER heard anybody complain about the products that were migrated to the cloud. The only thing I met in regards with this was a bit of confusion as to how to set it up. I know that other models, from what I explained, exist and I cannot know about CISCO as I haven't worked there so it is just a half educated guess. But still, cloud services for a business aren't as evil as they sound.

So yea, just don't worry too much about it. If you are interested in the course, take the course. You will surely learn some new cool stuff. Smile

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
31-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Morals are overrated. Cause/effect as it pertains to your end goal is more practical Tongue

'Murican Canadian
31-05-2016, 07:48 AM
(31-05-2016 06:47 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Morals are overrated. Cause/effect as it pertains to your end goal is more practical Tongue

Laugh out load Is your middle name "Machiavelli"?
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
31-05-2016, 08:58 AM
(31-05-2016 07:48 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 06:47 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Morals are overrated. Cause/effect as it pertains to your end goal is more practical Tongue

Laugh out load Is your middle name "Machiavelli"?

Nah, but not too far off. I also believe in applying the same principals towards social responsibility which, though it might have similarities with cultural morals in the way it is applied, is not quite the same.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
31-05-2016, 10:02 AM

I don't think so but I appreciate the input, I suppose. Tongue

31-05-2016, 10:11 AM
(31-05-2016 02:40 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 02:15 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I've been thinking of taking some classes sponsored by CISCO for getting into IT work, however I read up a bit on them and apparently they've been doing some shady stuff with user privacy, one example being remotely monitoring users' connections, and forcing them to register to a cloud service. Apparently there is also a firewall backdoor that was developed by the NSA, and CISCO's Chief Security Officer naturally denies CISCO was in any way involved with it. So, my problem is whether to stay away from them or just to try to make the best of what it is. I am interested in IT work, but this situation is fairly off-putting.

Having spent 20 years in IT Sec and Information Risk, most IT network products will allow some element of this. You won't be partaking in those activities but learning some skills, are they the skills you are interested in? If they are go ahead.

Yup, I'm mainly looking towards the skills.

31-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I work in IT and we use a Cisco product to remotely access computers to work on technical issues but the computers are owned by us and leased by us, the clients don't actually own them so it's all good but we do sometimes access their personal computers but in those cases we have to get permission.

I'm not sure how other companies operate but I know mine at least try to be by the book and even though it would be very easy for us to maybe spy on people and mess up their computers there would be absolutely no benefit and we would get in a lot of trouble for it so it's just not worth it. I honestly wouldn't even know what to do or what to "steal" if I just had full access to someone's laptop for example without their knowledge, plus I'd be racked with guilt but fact is many Cisco products may give you the ability or the access to do some shady things but they are insistent that you don't actually do those things.

It's like all those apps that require access to your email and photos, they need access for minor functional reasons but they're not just going to steal your photos or read your emails, even if they could so I'd take the training they are offering and good luck with learning more. Pretty much every major corporation has some questionable business practices anyway, if you refused to deal with them you'll never get ahead.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post