I have a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2018, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 03:31 PM by Injustice223.)
I have a question
Hi, so this is going to be a quick story, but I want to know what you think really happened. This happened when I was still religious, and I am very new to atheism, so I can't bring myself to a conclusion. So a couple years back, my parents were in Vegas , so my grandpa was baby sitting me and my little sister at home. I was just playing some video games in my room with the door closed, when suddenly I heard a knock at my door, I though is was my Grandpa, so I called out "Yes" as in like yes what do you need kind of thing. Noone responded, so I opened up the door to find nothing there. At the time I believed it was ghosts/demons,but now that im thinking critically, It should be easy to figure out, but I still don't know what that knock was, so if any of you could explain that would be great! Also as an Fyi, it didn't sound like the pipes and my little sister was not playing a prank on me.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Knights who say NI!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Injustice223's post
13-06-2018, 02:57 PM
RE: I have a question
It was god trying to test your faith Rolleyes

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Swamp gas from a weather ballon was trapped in a thermal pocket and refracted the light from Venus. - Kay

It's as good as any other explanation.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-06-2018, 03:28 PM
You could have heard something in the next hotel room over which appeared to you to be a knock at your door. Either that or it was God wanting to know if you wanted a turndown service. Tongue
13-06-2018, 03:29 PM
(13-06-2018 03:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You could have heard something in the next hotel room over which appeared to you to be a knock at your door. Either that or it was God wanting to know if you wanted a turndown service. Tongue

I was at home, my parents were away in Vegas

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Knights who say NI!
13-06-2018, 03:30 PM
(13-06-2018 03:29 PM)Injustice223 Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 03:28 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You could have heard something in the next hotel room over which appeared to you to be a knock at your door. Either that or it was God wanting to know if you wanted a turndown service. Tongue

I was at home, my parents were away in Vegas

You still could have heard something the next room over (like something fell etc.) and thought it was a knock.
13-06-2018, 03:30 PM
What, you didn't see the maid walk away? She wanted to put chocolates on your bed...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-06-2018, 03:31 PM
(13-06-2018 03:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 03:29 PM)Injustice223 Wrote:  I was at home, my parents were away in Vegas

You still could have heard something the next room over (like something fell etc.) and thought it was a knock.

It must have been god, ye of little faith.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-06-2018, 03:34 PM
(13-06-2018 03:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-06-2018 03:29 PM)Injustice223 Wrote:  I was at home, my parents were away in Vegas

Nothing fell in the next room over because my grandpa would have known, because he was staying in that room, and my sister was jumping on the bed there

― Christopher Hitchens
Knights who say NI!
13-06-2018, 04:45 PM
(13-06-2018 02:55 PM)Injustice223 Wrote:  Hi, so this is going to be a quick story, but I want to know what you think really happened. This happened when I was still religious, and I am very new to atheism, so I can't bring myself to a conclusion. So a couple years back, my parents were in Vegas , so my grandpa was baby sitting me and my little sister at home. I was just playing some video games in my room with the door closed, when suddenly I heard a knock at my door, I though is was my Grandpa, so I called out "Yes" as in like yes what do you need kind of thing. Noone responded, so I opened up the door to find nothing there. At the time I believed it was ghosts/demons,but now that im thinking critically, It should be easy to figure out, but I still don't know what that knock was, so if any of you could explain that would be great! Also as an Fyi, it didn't sound like the pipes and my little sister was not playing a prank on me.

From my perspective, the most likely explanation is that our brains play tricks on us from time to time. If you are tired enough, or engaged in some repetitious activity, you can enter a semi-hypnotic state and hallucinate odd occurrences. This happens to my wife with some frequency, since she has sleep-related problems. She hears voices or sees things which aren't really there -- that kind of thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post