I have a question for Christians.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2016, 07:00 AM
I have a question for Christians.
If God confused people's languages at the Tower of Babel, did he know that he would mess up his bible. I ask Christians all the time about errors in the bible, they always tell me it's a mistranslation. Who was the one who confused their languages in the first place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MatureMcLeod95's post
01-05-2016, 07:40 AM
RE: I have a question for Christians.
Meh, what's a few thousand fatal flaws among friends?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2016, 07:48 AM
(01-05-2016 07:00 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  If God confused people's languages at the Tower of Babel, did he know that he would mess up his bible. I ask Christians all the time about errors in the bible, they always tell me it's a mistranslation. Who was the one who confused their languages in the first place.

I'm not familiar with this argument. Can you explain it to me?
02-05-2016, 11:06 AM
(01-05-2016 07:48 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm not familiar with this argument. Can you explain it to me?

The Tower of Babel was when man supposedly wanted to create a tower towards heaven. God came down and confused their languages in order to stop them. Whenever I ask someone about a mistake in the bible, they always tell me since the bible has been translated so many times that they are conflicts within the pages. For example; Job 39:9-12 in the KIng James Version says that unicorns exists, but theists say these are oxen. Theist also believe that the bible is perfect, which is kinda silly when even they admit they are translation errors. And according to the bible, God was the one that confused their languages in the first place. So an omnipotent, omniscient being should have known he would have messed up his bible. Does this make it clear? Also, if you want to prove to yourself that God is NOT omnipotent read Judges 1:19. If you want to prove to yourself that God is NOT omniscient, read 1 Kings 7:23 of the King James Version.
02-05-2016, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 11:37 AM by TheInquisition.)
(01-05-2016 07:00 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  If God confused people's languages at the Tower of Babel, did he know that he would mess up his bible. I ask Christians all the time about errors in the bible, they always tell me it's a mistranslation. Who was the one who confused their languages in the first place.

There's a lot of that in the bible. God loves you, but will burn you in hell forever.

God made us, but is really surprised, regretful, angry at how we behave.

God sees us building a tower with materials that will cause it to collapse before it gets to a few hundred meters in height, so he has to stop us.

Heaven was apparently close enough to merit god feeling threatened by this little building.

The Tower of Babel story is one of the most laughable of the 3 global-effect myths in Genesis. It is so blatantly contradicted by evidence, all but the the most credulous could possibly give this tale anything but a laugh at it's ridiculous nature.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
02-05-2016, 11:42 AM
As with everything else in Genesis, there is a Sumerian myth that the Hebrew myth borrows from:

Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta
this tale was composed around 2100-2000 BC.

Who's you daddy Yhwh? Babylon and Sumeria, that's who.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Some errors in the bible are just errors in the bible, and some are perhaps mistranslations. I am doubtful as to whether the ancient hebrews were familiar with the concept of a unicorn, I could be wrong, if they weren't it's likely that the KJV translation of the hebrew term was not accurate.

1 for 1 translation from one language to another is not always easily, certain words in my own mother tongue, are difficult to find a direct english equivalent, that encapsulates the full meaning of it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-05-2016, 12:22 PM
(02-05-2016 11:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Some errors in the bible are just errors in the bible, and some are perhaps mistranslations. I am doubtful as to whether the ancient hebrews were familiar with the concept of a unicorn, I could be wrong, if they weren't it's likely that the KJV translation of the hebrew term was not accurate.

1 for 1 translation from one language to another is not always easily, certain words in my own mother tongue, are difficult to find a direct english equivalent, that encapsulates the full meaning of it.

I can't argue with any of that, but it doesn't really address the issue. If the eternal fate of our souls depends on reading, understanding, and believing in the Bible, how could God have allowed it to become corrupted by mistranslation, etc.? Surely if his message was that important for us, he could have made sure it didn't get corrupted.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-05-2016, 12:24 PM
(02-05-2016 11:34 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

There's a lot of that in the bible. God loves you, but will burn you in hell forever.

God made us, but is really surprised, regretful, angry at how we behave.

God sees us building a tower with materials that will cause it to collapse before it gets to a few hundred meters in height, so he has to stop us.

Heaven was apparently close enough to merit god feeling threatened by this little building.

The Tower of Babel story is one of the most laughable of the 3 global-effect myths in Genesis. It is so blatantly contradicted by evidence, all but the the most credulous could possibly give this tale anything but a laugh at it's ridiculous nature.

What's even funnier to me is that they intend this to be a great tower that reaches all the way to Heaven, but from God's point of view, it's so puny that he has to come down to see what it is they're building. This also says something about God's supposed omniscience.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-05-2016, 12:37 PM

I am Christian. I have studied a lot of the things mentioned in the comments. First, yes God knew that it would cause complications in communication, that was the point, and he did know the consequences that would arise from it. I have read many serious contradictions in the Bible. However, I take it as there are different solutions for different situations. I don't see the Bible as straight up black and white. I think it also includes the gray areas that are not as easy to address. Much of the belief in Christianity is that we have free will, the choice to follow God or not. That causes a lot of complications since people can choose to create bad situations like child abuse, rape, terrorism. I unfortunately was raised in a more black and white church and thought I'd go to hell for being raped as a child (premarital sex), I spent a lot of time questioning God over that. But, no one knew what had happened and so no one knew I needed to see the parts of the Bible that say it isn't what you do that gets you saved, but faith (accepting that someone, Jesus, stood in for your sin). So for me, a lot of it is not a mistranslation but a lesson about a different context or different choice. I also believe that if God can create the whole earth and all the things on it, including us, and scramble languages, that he can make things happen to keep the Bible in tact no matter who translates it. I mean, if he wants it to happen he can make it happen if he can do all that other stuff. And there are parts that are very confusing if you don't study the full history of the setting and circumstances. Some of it sounds more fantastic because it wasn't known like we know now and therefore difficult to explain. Like the guy who got instantly eaten up by worms, that refers to a parasitic worm sac that ruptures and causes all of the worms to feed on the intestines at once, killing the person within as little as 45 minutes. It still happens in impoverished countries. As far as the unicorn, I really have no clue what they are referring to. It could have been a species that died out. I don't have all the answers.