I have a theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 08:44 AM
I have a theory
Please please, oh please no bashing
i'm a very peaceful friendly person who just wants advice.I haven't learned everything i should on science and i'm a little behind. But i'm trying and my brain sometimes comes up with "Theory's" i want to ask peoples opinions on or see if there is even a slight possibility.

So here was something i was thinking about last night it sounds silly however
I was sitting waiting to go home and i was looking outside the window at the rain
and something popped into my head. A long time back i watched a video it said something about how atoms and other things occasionally pass threw our body's.
And when it rains it always seems like people get down or depressed.
This part is both a question and assumption "Doesn't everything have it's own particles? or something" And if so does what leaves the rain go into our body's giving the effect but not long last effect of depression or sadness? i know this is missing something, or possibly i'm thinking to hard, many people say i'm thinking to hard.
But i'm curious am i on to something?
Or is there something that relates?
<) explainUndecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: I have a theory
You don't have a theory, you have an hypothesis.

Serotonin levels. A drop in serotonin, a brain chemical (neurotransmitter) that affects mood, might play a role in SAD. Reduced sunlight can cause a drop in serotonin that may trigger depression.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-12-2014, 09:03 AM
(12-12-2014 08:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You don't have a theory, you have an hypothesis.

Serotonin levels. A drop in serotonin, a brain chemical (neurotransmitter) that affects mood, might play a role in SAD. Reduced sunlight can cause a drop in that may trigger depression.

Really, that's interesting. and i don't feel ashamed of my "Hypothesis"
:3 i enjoy them v.v i tried to put fact into it but with little knowledge i can't do much.
it's why i wish to join a science class. Then i'll know new things maybe <3
i Have a question though some people enjoy no sunlight - like myself
so how does that trigger it for people who enjoy no sunlight?
or can we just not avoid the drop in serotonin...i'm assuming we can't.
12-12-2014, 09:05 AM
There are dumb questions, but this is not one of them. So many of the amazing facts of the universe are really hard to grasp for us "regular" folks. You try reading theories and you feel like you are so close to grasping them but it often slips away at the last minute. As houseofcantor says it is more likely a lack of sunlight, and vitamin D that are at play. Having grown up in the NorthWest I can say a lot of people there are affected by SAD, and I've often wondered if it is not only the large amount of rain and relative darkness but also an often very low cloud ceiling that makes people feel enclosed and "oppressed". This too, is merely a hypothesis....
[+] 1 user Likes BigD's post
12-12-2014, 09:15 AM
(12-12-2014 09:05 AM)BigD Wrote:  There are dumb questions, but this is not one of them. So many of the amazing facts of the universe are really hard to grasp for us "regular" folks. You try reading theories and you feel like you are so close to grasping them but it often slips away at the last minute. As houseofcantor says it is more likely a lack of sunlight, and vitamin D that are at play. Having grown up in the NorthWest I can say a lot of people there are affected by SAD, and I've often wondered if it is not only the large amount of rain and relative darkness but also an often very low cloud ceiling that makes people feel enclosed and "oppressed". This too, is merely a hypothesis....

Big Grin Iv'e always kinda been the person who just wants to know everything
and i do sometimes i feel like if i only new more of my science and wasn't pulled away from it so young (being it was what i loved) i'd maybe give more logical hypothesis's.
When i get into my class i'm just waiting, to know so much that iv'e missed.
my life would be boring and sad if i couldn't "think"
X3 and why do you think it could be the low cloud ceiling?
12-12-2014, 09:25 AM
(12-12-2014 09:15 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 09:05 AM)BigD Wrote:  There are dumb questions, but this is not one of them. So many of the amazing facts of the universe are really hard to grasp for us "regular" folks. You try reading theories and you feel like you are so close to grasping them but it often slips away at the last minute. As houseofcantor says it is more likely a lack of sunlight, and vitamin D that are at play. Having grown up in the NorthWest I can say a lot of people there are affected by SAD, and I've often wondered if it is not only the large amount of rain and relative darkness but also an often very low cloud ceiling that makes people feel enclosed and "oppressed". This too, is merely a hypothesis....

Big Grin Iv'e always kinda been the person who just wants to know everything
and i do sometimes i feel like if i only new more of my science and wasn't pulled away from it so young (being it was what i loved) i'd maybe give more logical hypothesis's.

Embrace the rain and dance in it with the hopes that the whole world is watching.

Smile

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
12-12-2014, 09:46 AM
(12-12-2014 09:25 AM)Free Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 09:15 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Big Grin Iv'e always kinda been the person who just wants to know everything

Embrace the rain and dance in it with the hopes that the whole world is watching.

Smile

Yeah? Live in Portland Oregon where you don't see the sun for months and it's gray and constantly drippy and cold and dank and then see if you want to dance in the rain. All you'll want to do is find someplace where you can embrace the sun.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-12-2014, 09:50 AM
(12-12-2014 09:25 AM)Free Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 09:15 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  :D Iv'e always kinda been the person who just wants to know everything

:)

Part one I agree with.. part two... not at all. I'd say just don't care if the world or noone is watching either way.

And I was gonna say what HoC already said. It would be smaller particles than the effects of rain that would be passing through and effecting people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I have SAD, always did, we just called it the winter blues or cabin fever.

My husband dying on xmas morning didn't help one bit. Sadcryface

I do have one of those "sun lights" in my office now that claim to help with SAD. Since correlation is not causation, I don't know if it works or not, but I seem to be better this year. So I am erring on the side that it helps.

I am pretty sure it is related to light for me. I start getting better after the days start getting longer again.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Lack of sunlight is no laughing matter. Here's a town in Norway that found a way to capture some extra sunlight and not live in pitch darkness for the whole winter ---