I have a theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 11:30 PM
RE: I have a theory
Contrary to V for Vendetta, god is NOT in the rain. :-)

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2014, 09:01 PM
(12-12-2014 10:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have SAD, always did, we just called it the winter blues or cabin fever.

My husband dying on xmas morning didn't help one bit. Sadcryface

I do have one of those "sun lights" in my office now that claim to help with SAD. Since correlation is not causation, I don't know if it works or not, but I seem to be better this year. So I am erring on the side that it helps.

I am pretty sure it is related to light for me. I start getting better after the days start getting longer again.

Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2014, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 09:46 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
(12-12-2014 08:44 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Please please, oh please no bashing
i'm a very peaceful friendly person who just wants advice.I haven't learned everything i should on science and i'm a little behind. But i'm trying and my brain sometimes comes up with "Theory's" i want to ask peoples opinions on or see if there is even a slight possibility.

So here was something i was thinking about last night it sounds silly however
I was sitting waiting to go home and i was looking outside the window at the rain
and something popped into my head. A long time back i watched a video it said something about how atoms and other things occasionally pass threw our body's.
And when it rains it always seems like people get down or depressed.
This part is both a question and assumption "Doesn't everything have it's own particles? or something" And if so does what leaves the rain go into our body's giving the effect but not long last effect of depression or sadness? i know this is missing something, or possibly i'm thinking to hard, many people say i'm thinking to hard.
But i'm curious am i on to something?
Or is there something that relates?
<) explainUndecided

Not a silly question at all actually. I have to dig deep into my bag of Statistical Thermodynamics in grad school and I hope I remember.

Not atoms, neutrinos. Atoms can't do that in the way you are thinking because of the electrostatic forces associated with protons and electrons (mainly electrons) prevent them from pasing through. These are the same forces that keep your finger from going through the keyboard or your foot from going through the floor. As far as the brain chemistry is concerned, it doesn't do anything we know of and it is so unlikely as to safely say that it will not have any effect. There are billions of neutrinos flowing through your body at any given second and the most they will do in the extremely rare occurrence of an impact is release a positron or neutron which will be very short lived. In fact the positron will annihilate almost immediately with an electron (this is actually how PET scans work). Neither will do much if only one or two parts in billions of atoms that surround them. Even if you had an incredible amount of impacts, the result is radiation and that will not cause any kind of neurochemistry since the radiation is either gamma or X-ray (I forget which) which cannot do any chemistry which would have a negative change in your emotions.

The depression of rainy days I think can be affected by a vitamin D deficiency (Nurse would probably know) which your body naturally makes upon exposure to the sun which is obviously not out when it rains. Also, if it triggers bad memories, that can make it not fun. As for the rain soaking into your skin and causing depression, I highly doubt it. A drop of rain is about 50 microliters. By comparison, Sarin (which is EXTREMELY potent) carries an LD50 for human epidermal exposure of about 28 mg/kg (figures from the Army). I weigh 77 kg, so it would take over 2 mL of sarin to kill me if on my skin, way more than 50 uL/drop of water (it would take 50 drops of rain to get about 2 mL water). And that is not even taking into it getting through your skin, into the bloodstream, through the liver, past the BBB, and THEN targeting something in your brain. I can pretty much tell you that there is nothing in the water that would be causing you problems. Nothing to worry about

There is no such thing as thinking too hard. Ask and ye shall receive!!! Smile

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
13-12-2014, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 09:39 PM by kim.)
Mushrooms. They have B-1,2,3,6,12, C, and most of all D. Other than the sun, only mushrooms naturally metabolize vitamin D in the human body the same way the sun does. They have been known to help with mood.

Science tip I recently read about - mushrooms exposed to the sun after harvesting will continue to absorb vitamin D.

I just had a pile of them on a pizza and I'm pretty fucking happy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-12-2014, 09:51 PM
(13-12-2014 09:36 PM)kim Wrote:  Mushrooms. They have B-1,2,3,6,12, C, and most of all D. Other than the sun, only mushrooms naturally metabolize vitamin D in the human body the same way the sun does. They have been known to help with mood.

Science tip I recently read about - mushrooms exposed to the sun after harvesting will continue to absorb vitamin D.

You forgot about psilocybin!!!!! All the fun of acid without the headache!!!

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-12-2014, 09:59 PM
(13-12-2014 09:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 09:36 PM)kim Wrote:  Mushrooms. They have B-1,2,3,6,12, C, and most of all D. Other than the sun, only mushrooms naturally metabolize vitamin D in the human body the same way the sun does. They have been known to help with mood.

You forgot about psilocybin!!!!! All the fun of acid without the headache!!!

Well, there is that. Shy

However, I do refer above to .. uh... non-fortified mushrooms. Dodgy

I know, total drag.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein