I have been atheist for about a year. Here is my story.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2014, 05:58 AM
I first questioned my previously Christian beliefs June 2013 when on a separate forum I the topic of religion come up. The majority of the people there were agnostic or atheist, but a few Christians were debating. I wanted to debate on their behalf, but their points were terrible (1/0 is infinity and infinity proves the supernatural). I debunked their points while still maintaining a god. After a while the fact that they could not defend themselves and neither could I on the subject of god put a chip in my previous confidence, so I did some research, even read the bible (oh no!) and gave up Christianity (calling myself a deist).

I stumbled on the a atheist voice and he made a video on deism some time later (probably a week or two). The fact he wasn't so pushy in his points that it was pointless to shove a god in, made me give up that. I then called myself an agnostic deist (today I do not think this is true. Today I would call that position atheism).

Basically the position I held from that day is there may be a god, but the idea is useless since it makes no confirm able predictions. Through the year, my theological position remained stagnant, but I have since critically analyzed my other positions and found some to be faulty (the idea of absolute morality)
, for example).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adam9812's post
27-07-2014, 05:59 AM
RE: I have been atheist for about a year. Here is my story.
Welcome to our little corner of the web.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
27-07-2014, 06:00 AM
(27-07-2014 05:59 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome to our little corner of the web.

Thank you very much! I am glad to be in a place where I can talk about my atheism without having to worry about offending anyone.
[+] 1 user Likes Adam9812's post
27-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Welcome to TTA. And no matter what you post I am sure someone will find it offensive. Even articles for parents with tips on how to raise nice kids might earn you a "fuck off " like I got this week, Lol. Just post anyway. Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
27-07-2014, 06:17 AM
(27-07-2014 06:10 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Welcome to TTA. And no matter what you post I am sure someone will find it offensive. Even articles for parents with tips on how to raise nice kids might earn you a "fuck off " like I got this week, Lol. Just post anyway. Smile

Well, you know what I mean. Tongue On some wikis I manage I risk losing my trust if I go much beyond saying I'm an atheist.
27-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Good job.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post