I have been drunk since Thursday.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: I have been drunk since Thursday.
(02-01-2013 08:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 04:43 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Everything sounds like bullshit to you, Chas. Drinking Beverage

Everything is bullshit until there is evidence that it isn't. Yes

While I admire the skepticism, there is a point when one is too skeptical. Skepticism is avoiding a conclusion either way, until there is sufficient evidence to make a reasonable decision.

Then there's assuming that everything's bullshit from the outset, without any real reason to draw any conclusion at all.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 09:16 AM
(03-01-2013 09:08 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 08:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  Everything is bullshit until there is evidence that it isn't. Yes

While I admire the skepticism, there is a point when one is too skeptical. Skepticism is avoiding a conclusion either way, until there is sufficient evidence to make a reasonable decision.

Then there's assuming that everything's bullshit from the outset, without any real reason to draw any conclusion at all.

There are different buckets for things. If something sounds reasonable, it goes in the "might not be bullshit" bucket.
If it sounds preposterous, it goes in the "sounds like bullshit" bucket.
Evidence one way or the other moves things to the "probably bullshit", "definitely bullshit", "probably not bullshit", or "knowledge" buckets.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
(03-01-2013 09:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 09:08 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  While I admire the skepticism, there is a point when one is too skeptical. Skepticism is avoiding a conclusion either way, until there is sufficient evidence to make a reasonable decision.

There are different buckets for things. If something sounds reasonable, it goes in the "might not be bullshit" bucket.
Evidence one way or the other moves things to the "probably bullshit", "definitely bullshit", "probably not bullshit", or "knowledge" buckets.
Yes, but in saying "Everything is bullshit until...", you've automatically scooped everything into the "definitely bullshit" bucket just by default. It seems that the most reasonable bucket with which to begin would be the "Could possibly be bullshit" bucket, then go from there. Big Grin

03-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Cricket, hope are are okay.
Put down the drink and get some rest. Let your head clear. Take care of yourself.
A

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-01-2013, 03:19 PM
(03-01-2013 02:50 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 09:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  There are different buckets for things. If something sounds reasonable, it goes in the "might not be bullshit" bucket.
Yes, but in saying "Everything is bullshit until...", you've automatically scooped everything into the "definitely bullshit" bucket just by default. It seems that the most reasonable bucket with which to begin would be the "Could possibly be bullshit" bucket, then go from there. Big Grin

Nah, until it's sorted, it's bullshit. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
(03-01-2013 03:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 02:50 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Yes, but in saying "Everything is bullshit until...", you've automatically scooped everything into the "definitely bullshit" bucket just by default. It seems that the most reasonable bucket with which to begin would be the "Could possibly be bullshit" bucket, then go from there. Big Grin

Nah, until it's sorted, it's bullshit. Dodgy

Consider

Well, alrighty. Sleepy