I have / can do this at my place. And you ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 05:40 PM
RE: I have / can do this at my place. And you ?
I'm too lazy to read the thread. But why let that stop me from posting, right?

Have you, by any chance, heard the old joke, Hu?

American: In America, we have freedom of speech!
Soviet: Oh yeah? What kind of things can you say?
American: I can stand in front of the White House and shout, "Down with Reagan", and I won't be arrested.
Soviet: We have freedom of speech in the USSR too, then! I can go to Red Square, and start shouting "Down with Reagan", and I won't be arrested either!

So, I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread was. If it's to try to play a thirty year old joke argument with a straight face, then, just maybe, you oughta try harder.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
18-06-2013, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2013 06:53 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(18-06-2013 05:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I'm too lazy to read the thread. But why let that stop me from posting, right?

Have you, by any chance, heard the old joke, Hu?

American: In America, we have freedom of speech!
Soviet: Oh yeah? What kind of things can you say?
American: I can stand in front of the White House and shout, "Down with Reagan", and I won't be arrested.
Soviet: We have freedom of speech in the USSR too, then! I can go to Red Square, and start shouting "Down with Reagan", and I won't be arrested either!

So, I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread was. If it's to try to play a thirty year old joke argument with a straight face, then, just maybe, you oughta try harder.

It's too really lazy to treat a joke as one's favorite for 30 years. But anyway, that joke is funny.[Image: em80.gif]

Want something? Then do something.
18-06-2013, 07:03 PM
(18-06-2013 06:47 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  ... one's favorite ...

Well - no... I didn't say that. And I wasn't so much as a gleam in my parents' eyes 30 years ago.

But, uh, I'm... glad you liked it?
18-06-2013, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2013 07:59 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(18-06-2013 07:03 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 06:47 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  ... one's favorite ...

Well - no... I didn't say that. And I wasn't so much as a gleam in my parents' eyes 30 years ago.

But, uh, I'm... glad you liked it?

I didn't say that it was you either. I merely implied it. [Image: em63.gif]

================

And why not ?

If my country is very different from the former USSR, that joke is a compliment for her accomplishments.

If my country is exactly the same as the former USSR, that joke somewhat is able to complement those efforts made by her people to make her a better place.

If you are of the Russian descent, I will find the joke more friendly. But even if it is not, in reality, it does little harm.

[Image: em104.gif]

18-06-2013, 08:01 PM
The people who have never been to China are pretending to know more about China than someone from China living in China.

Reason number 2,937,827,000 of why people don't like americans, trying to tell other people about what their country "really is like" even when never going there before.
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
18-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Too bad we can't stick on topic. *shrug* I was hoping to see more comments about interesting things from where you people live.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
18-06-2013, 08:33 PM
(18-06-2013 08:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Too bad we can't stick on topic. *shrug* I was hoping to see more comments about interesting things from where you people live.

Don't worry. I am installing TRADOS right now. This will help me translate more stuff.

BTW, what aspect are you particularly interested in ?

18-06-2013, 08:42 PM
(18-06-2013 08:33 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 08:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Too bad we can't stick on topic. *shrug* I was hoping to see more comments about interesting things from where you people live.

Don't worry. I am installing TRADOS right now. This will help me translate more stuff.

BTW, what aspect are you particularly interested in ?

Just unique things. From everywhere. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
18-06-2013, 08:47 PM
(18-06-2013 07:39 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I didn't say that it was you either. I merely implied it.

Right. And I issued a mild denial.
Thumbsup

(18-06-2013 07:39 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  If my country is very different from the former USSR, that joke is a compliment for her accomplishments.

If my country is exactly the same as the former USSR, that joke somewhat is able to complement those efforts made by her people to make her a better place.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second one there...
18-06-2013, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2013 09:30 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
(18-06-2013 08:47 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 07:39 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I didn't say that it was you either. I merely implied it.

Right. And I issued a mild denial.
Thumbsup

(18-06-2013 07:39 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  If my country is very different from the former USSR, that joke is a compliment for her accomplishments.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second one there...

Denial recognized.[Image: em74.gif]

Er, you seemed surprised at my liking the joke, hence why I liked it. [Image: em72.gif] Anything wrong ?

Oh, I mean, my country is very different. And it is an ancient saga's teaching that we Chinese should learn from past and others' mistakes; we should also do so even if the mistake is not made by us. So, the joke is funny and did little harm.