I have decided to worship...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2014, 09:44 PM
RE: I have decided to worship...
(20-06-2014 07:58 PM)natachan Wrote:  Superman.

His gospels might be inconsistent at times, but the message is always good. He never endorses evil actions (except under red kryptonite), he always protects the weak. He serves truth and justice. Much more consistent than the gospels of some other god.

And so what if he's fictional? Doesn't seem to bother Moses or Yahweh.

But don't you see? There's serious issues with the reliability of cannon. Continuity has been revised in several documented instances, by flawed human authors, on several occasions, leading to many inconsistencies regarding his adopted parentage, his age, his powers, whether he adhered to the laws of his era or pursued vigilante justice, his death and resurrection, and his existence across multiple universes.

... don't ask me whether I'm talking about Superman or Jesus. I've got no idea.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
21-06-2014, 06:43 AM
(20-06-2014 07:58 PM)natachan Wrote:  Superman.

His gospels might be inconsistent at times, but the message is always good.
[Snip]
And so what if he's fictional? Doesn't seem to bother Moses or Yahweh.

Oh ye of little faith. You should pray to him more. You are not a true follower of Superman.

His gospels are not inconsistent, they are a mix of metaphor and history, the balance of which is determined by unequivocal evidence.

And he is not fictional. His pictorial history was transcribed through divine sprit drawings communicated to the artists by his father Jor-El, who also happens to be Superman as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
21-06-2014, 10:00 AM
The closest thing I've ever come to worshiping anything.... is my cat, Figaro.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-06-2014, 10:33 AM
(21-06-2014 10:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The closest thing I've ever come to worshiping anything.... is my cat, Figaro.

Great name for a cat Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
21-06-2014, 12:10 PM
[Image: keep-calm-and-praise-the-sun-27.png]

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
21-06-2014, 12:36 PM
(20-06-2014 08:40 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Superman is a tool. Nothing more than a political pawn.

Now Batman. There's a real hero.
They're both bitches. Punisher is where it's at!
21-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Yahweh is a villain by the way.
21-06-2014, 07:48 PM
So I've been watching smallville, man of steel, superman 1 & 2, superman returns, all star superman, superman vs the elites, justice league, superman the animated series, and reading a bunch of comic books. I've also been reading the KJV of the bible (again). I'm going to ignore the superman as Jesus thing that's come up recently because it's irrelivent for the moment.

The KJV shows a god who is capricious and inconsistent. His manner changes from book to book. From child-like and human in the books of the OT, to the slightly more aloof god of the NT. He promotes murder and rape at one moment, and condemns it at another.

While superman moods differ, the temperament of the character is consistent. He is benevolent. He acts as a protector, never initiating violent action. He acts only in justice, killing only once that I have found, and only under great duress.

People create their own gods, and they create gods that fit their values and morals. They make gods that represent the best within themselves and give them something to aspire to. And even those theists who admit deep down that their Jesus is largely a myth still worship him because they see him as a model for them to aspire to.

That's why I worship superman.
21-06-2014, 07:57 PM
(21-06-2014 07:48 PM)natachan Wrote:  So I've been watching smallville, man of steel, superman 1 & 2, superman returns, all star superman, superman vs the elites, justice league, superman the animated series, and reading a bunch of comic books. I've also been reading the KJV of the bible (again). I'm going to ignore the superman as Jesus thing that's come up recently because it's irrelivent for the moment.

The KJV shows a god who is capricious and inconsistent. His manner changes from book to book. From child-like and human in the books of the OT, to the slightly more aloof god of the NT. He promotes murder and rape at one moment, and condemns it at another.

While superman moods differ, the temperament of the character is consistent. He is benevolent. He acts as a protector, never initiating violent action. He acts only in justice, killing only once that I have found, and only under great duress.

People create their own gods, and they create gods that fit their values and morals. They make gods that represent the best within themselves and give them something to aspire to. And even those theists who admit deep down that their Jesus is largely a myth still worship him because they see him as a model for them to aspire to.

That's why I worship superman.

Injustice: Gods among us. Evil Superman.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-06-2014, 08:03 PM
One super hero video game was enough to make me never touch that genre again. That and my xbox going red ring.

Although to be fair it was a MARVEL video game...