I have survived toughest year. Still in danger, but still alive.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
11-09-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: I have survived toughest year. Still in danger, but still alive.
Banjo, Black Eagle and Anj....hugs to all of you.

[Image: GroupHug.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-09-2015, 12:38 AM
(11-09-2015 07:08 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 06:57 AM)adey67 Wrote:  That's great mate that's why I love it here people want to know you for yourself and not in order to insinuate you into their belief system keep eating and I hope black eagle takes you up on your offer good for both of you Imo.

We shall see. No pressure.

I went on a drum forum and made a few little posts. I think it became obvious that I actually knew what I was talking about. Mostly on forums you get kids or older guys who gave it away when they married. They probably were not that great anyway and it was an easy choice once they married. Then 20 odd years later, after the divorce, they go out and buy a top kit they could never afford when younger. And they talk drums. Rarely does one see a true pro. So I find them quite boring.

I had the same experience on a guitar forum where I post. Don't get me wrong, I'm a complete unknown, but never stopped playing since I picked it up at 13 -- I'm 48 now. I've never made much money at it -- biggest gig, 300 audience -- but played clubs enough and you get to know what works, what matters, and what doesn't.

So there's a lot of divorce geezers who are happy to pontificate about the qualities of Brazilian rosewood fretboards vs Madagascar, who haven't gigged once, and took twenty years off playing before the midlife crisis hit. And a lot of kids who have read the magazines and imbibed attitudes from them that they can't back up, because they've no experience.

It bores (and irritates) me sometimes to see "conventional wisdom" and mother's stories held in such high esteem, but I try to get folks to focus on the important shit. Thread: "What's the most important piece of gear I should get?" My answer: "Ten good fingers, and two good ears, and not in that order".

I'm nowhere near your professional level on my own instrument, but I ain't afraid to go onstage with anyone, because I found my voice on it 25 years ago, and nurtured that.

As a buddy of mine there says, "Long tenon? Short tenon? That shite doesn't matter once the bass and drums kick in." And it's true. The best part of being a musician is once you realize that you carry it with you everywhere, you can get on anything from a pawnshop prize to a vintage collectible and tell it exactly how you want it to sound.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Yeah mate you're right.

I felt pretty crook today so I practiced brushes all day. My yellow practice pad is turning black. Smile

I am happy to have spent my adulthood working playing music. Poor business decisions saw me often choose a lower paying gig with very good music over a higher paying gig playing some boring music. And I always pushed my students instead of myself. For example I'd get called for a session and recommend a student instead, just to help their careers. At the expense of mine. It was always thus.

I am making it a point to gig more as I get better. I play so many styles and types of instruments that I think it a waste I have locked myself into so much teaching. In future I may only teach 3 days a week, instead of 7.

If I'm going to share everything I've learned it needs to happen in a live setting. Otherwise I'm just the best conguero in my flatblock.

I listened to the recording of the jam. The drumming was steady but the drummer hesitant. I think it wont take long to get it all back.

Must stay positive, kick this thing's arse and get on with living amongst people. Not in a dingy practice room constantly practicing. I've done 12 hours and 15 minutes practice today. And I felt sick the whole time. That is not making music. The entire day on a rubber practice pad is no way to live.

And as you said, the forums are all about buying gear. Hardly anyone asks about technique. I have stacks of gear, but the playing always came first. And as I learned a new instrument I'd have to buy it. So ended up with multiple bongos, snare drums, shakers etc etc. Never at the expense of playing, to add to my repertoire. Such as it is. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
12-09-2015, 05:40 AM
(11-09-2015 10:32 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Yeah, thanks to all of you. Your kind thoughts do help.

I don't think I'll start a thread on my issues just yet; I find it very uncomfortable to talk about even with my wife of 46 years. However, a brief history: I've had 14" of my ascending colon removed, then my prostate, then they put me on all kinds of drugs including immuno suppressants because I developed this ulcerative colitis. I learned to enjoy puking and bloody diarrhea. Big Grin The immuno suppressants made me weak and I got pneumonia that sent me to intensive care twice. Today, I wear "Depends" because I drip blood out my butt and I have stomach cramps most of the time. [I have the greatest sympathy for women who have menstrual cycles to deal with.] I am to the point where there is no longer much danger to my life although I have days when I wish somebody would drop a piano on my head. Big Grin [Not really although I do understand completely why some folks just give up.] Those are the days that Banjo's story has helped me face.

Banjo's leukemia is much more serious than what I face and his only treatment option is miserable chemo. I can tell you from my experience with drugs that everyday that Banjo gets up with a smile on his face is a lesson in guts to the rest of us and I have really learned to respect him. He's a damned good man and his niece is very lucky to have him although he feels like the lucky one. [My wife and I have a 10 year old grandson who is the light of our lives.]

My wife had breast cancer almost 6 years ago. She declined to do radiation and chemo therapy, just like Angele, and she is now 6 years cancer free.

Thanks again for your kind support but right now, Banjo ought to be the focus of our attention.

By the way, Banjo, I've been at this war for 3 years now and can finally believe there is an end to it. I am 68 years old and, from your picture, you look much younger than that. Hang in there, buddy, you're obviously tough enough to beat this and you've got a lot of drums to beat in your future.

Well the thing is my friend, it is not just me. Others are sick. You and I see it all the time. I had people dying around me all the time during the many months I had in hospital. It was awful. Especially those who were not strong enough to handle it and would spend time crying.

I am younger, 51, and I dream of 68. If I can get there and then beyond it I shall be a happy man.

I do worry from time to time. Today was a bad day. Sick as a dog but I spent my time working on technique for my hands. This was in an effort to take my mind off myself. I still feel bad, but at least my hands have improved. Smile

I think you should start a thread. Just use your screen name. Nobody has to know your personal details. And you can talk about what ever you like.

And you can call me. We can chat and you can talk to me about everything. When spending so many months on the cancer ward I made it a point to talk to people. Especially those who were very ill or worried. Tell some jokes and stories and cheer them up a bit.

All the best mate, to yourself and your family. Including your grandson. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
12-09-2015, 06:27 AM
Absolutely you can disclose as much or as little as you feel comfy with I hope you guys start to feel better soon hang tough fellas
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
12-09-2015, 10:39 AM
I think I will start a thread here and call it "The illness thread" where everybody can talk about whatever ails them no matter how serious or how minor. Thanks.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
12-09-2015, 11:09 AM
(12-09-2015 05:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  And as you said, the forums are all about buying gear. Hardly anyone asks about technique. I have stacks of gear, but the playing always came first. And as I learned a new instrument I'd have to buy it. So ended up with multiple bongos, snare drums, shakers etc etc. Never at the expense of playing, to add to my repertoire. Such as it is. Smile

The most I've ever owned at one time is five guitars and four amps -- different tools for different sounds -- but I always reckoned that money is better spent on lessons or a good woman or a vacation.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
12-09-2015, 07:41 PM
(12-09-2015 11:09 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 05:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  And as you said, the forums are all about buying gear. Hardly anyone asks about technique. I have stacks of gear, but the playing always came first. And as I learned a new instrument I'd have to buy it. So ended up with multiple bongos, snare drums, shakers etc etc. Never at the expense of playing, to add to my repertoire. Such as it is. Smile

The most I've ever owned at one time is five guitars and four amps -- different tools for different sounds -- but I always reckoned that money is better spent on lessons or a good woman or a vacation.

With me the music always came first. I toured so much I hate going on holidays and staying in hotels. Feels like work.

And any woman interested in me, I'd just wonder "why" these days. Big Grin

Banjo.
13-09-2015, 12:14 AM
(12-09-2015 07:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 11:09 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The most I've ever owned at one time is five guitars and four amps -- different tools for different sounds -- but I always reckoned that money is better spent on lessons or a good woman or a vacation.

With me the music always came first. I toured so much I hate going on holidays and staying in hotels. Feels like work.

I wouldn't, bud. Might take a special one to see past her own nose and your illness, but they are out there.

I've lived and breathed music for over three decades, and while I need -- not want, need -- to play my guitar (it's my therapist, after all), I also need sometimes to take time away from it, both to get the life experiences that fuel my songwriting as well as recharge the creative batteries, because I can be prone to ruts at times. Living in Spain gave me many, many songs, what with the music culture there, and the experiences wandering around Andalucia, and being in Saudi Arabia, too.

Music is still premier in my life, but over the years I've learnt that living a well-rounded life works for me.

You, I hope to hear you're back on the throne regularly soon.

No, not the porcelain throne.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-09-2015, 12:23 AM
(12-09-2015 07:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 11:09 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The most I've ever owned at one time is five guitars and four amps -- different tools for different sounds -- but I always reckoned that money is better spent on lessons or a good woman or a vacation.

Banjo, you are an amazing, wonderful man. There's no "why" to it. Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post