I have survived toughest year. Still in danger, but still alive.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
06-12-2015, 02:31 PM
RE: I have survived toughest year. Still in danger, but still alive.
(06-12-2015 10:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 09:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  There's more to the story.

Chas, I read that article. What a sad life. Religious guilt and the resulting self loathing is such a killer.

Son of a Preacher Man has withstood the test of time. Still sounds great.

Banjo, I'm not derailing your thread. I'm sorry for the side discussion.

How are you feeling today. I saw your photos of your student in the other thread and the photo of your niece is so wonderful too. It looks like she can't stand still for one second....she's a blur of activity!

No problem.

Jenny thanks.

Dances, she is! Very social, engaging the staff in conversation herself...

Chas will read more on that story later when I return from hospital.

Thanks guys.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-12-2015, 07:27 PM

I read the story. I thought Bill "Superfoot" Wallace taught Elvis Karate!

The story regarding the Buddy engagement, spoken about among professional drummers is quite different.

Dusty arrived at the club to discover she was sharing the stage with "Just a drummer!!!" Dusty thought she was too good for that and when Buddy's band arrived she very nearly refused to perform. Her manager forced her into it due to contractual obligations. She said some hurtful things, Buddy responded in kind, as only Buddy could. After all he had played his first show at 18 months old, became Trap's the drum wonder before the age of ten, and was the second highest paid child star in the world. He then went on to become drum god and a master jazz musician and band leader who'd worked with the world's greatest players.

And he knew it. Buddy had an ego! So as far as I recall the engagement lasted a few weeks and during his set, Buddy would make remarks about Dusty's talent so cutting, it drew in and packed out the club for entire gig with the who's who of showbiz.

No wonder she cracked. Frank Sinatra once threw a large glass water container at Buddy's head and had him beaten up by his mafia pals while both worked with Dorsey. Buddy was so bored playing the slow ballads he'd pull faces while Frank sang. Amusing the crowd to Frank's displeasure.

Performers eh? Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-12-2015, 10:01 AM
(06-12-2015 07:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

I read the story. I thought Bill "Superfoot" Wallace taught Elvis Karate!

The story regarding the Buddy engagement, spoken about among professional drummers is quite different.

Dusty arrived at the club to discover she was sharing the stage with "Just a drummer!!!" Dusty thought she was too good for that and when Buddy's band arrived she very nearly refused to perform. Her manager forced her into it due to contractual obligations. She said some hurtful things, Buddy responded in kind, as only Buddy could. After all he had played his first show at 18 months old, became Trap's the drum wonder before the age of ten, and was the second highest paid child star in the world. He then went on to become drum god and a master jazz musician and band leader who'd worked with the world's greatest players.

And he knew it. Buddy had an ego! So as far as I recall the engagement lasted a few weeks and during his set, Buddy would make remarks about Dusty's talent so cutting, it drew in and packed out the club for entire gig with the who's who of showbiz.

No wonder she cracked. Frank Sinatra once threw a large glass water container at Buddy's head and had him beaten up by his mafia pals while both worked with Dorsey. Buddy was so bored playing the slow ballads he'd pull faces while Frank sang. Amusing the crowd to Frank's displeasure.

Performers eh? Big Grin

Nothing about entertainers surprises me at all. A friend of mine was a usher for the old Johnny Carson show. Bob Hope was a guest one night and my friend, the usher, was in the employees basement parking lot putting on his shoes and shining them before the show and looked over and saw Bob Hope in a dark corner of the building having sex with one of the ditzy girls that used to be in some of Johnny Carson sketches.

My friend had stories....lots of stories. Tongue

It's 3:00 AM in Australia as I write this and you're probably asleep but when you wake up later, how are you feeling.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Banjo, here is a little something for your day and hoping this finds you well. This is one of my favorite things ever. Now I know Fred Astaire wasn't a real drummer and he probably wouldn't do well as the drummer in a band but he used to drum out his tap rhythms over and over again to get it right and it helped him stay on the beat when he danced.

He was also quite a good piano player...boogie-woogie and ragtime type piano playing. Sigh. Some people are just super talented.

08-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks Dances. Have awoken to heavy chemo brain. Have been on chemo for 14 months solid now. Trying to wake up.

I'll watch those videos a little later.

All the Fred stories I ever heard were good. Apparently he was a wonderful guy. Much like Louie Bellson, who was very kind to me one day.

Thanks. D.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
09-12-2015, 04:56 AM
Just got to watch those videos Dances. What a talent he was. Check out those "low boy" hi hats! I think the snare top right, I own one and it is on my instrument thread. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I just read the op. Banjo, you have a strength and courage that few possess. You have my respect.
[+] 3 users Like jason_delisle's post
09-12-2015, 01:11 PM
(09-12-2015 01:03 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I just read the op. Banjo, you have a strength and courage that few possess. You have my respect.

Banjo is an amazing person in many ways. Someone who's really lived their dream of following their true passion in life. It motivates me every day to follow my passion as well and not continue along with a career I don't really want to be in.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
09-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi Banjo,
My son sent me this satirical article; thought you might like a chuckle.

Best wishes from the Great (not so White) North.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
09-12-2015, 02:29 PM
(09-12-2015 04:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Just got to watch those videos Dances. What a talent he was. Check out those "low boy" hi hats! I think the snare top right, I own one and it is on my instrument thread. Smile

I just realized that those drums Astaire is hitting with his shoes needed to be strongly anchored to the floor somehow since they're turned sideways. I would imagine that would change the sound slightly, not that it mattered too much with this dance piece. He was known to practice his dance numbers 14 - 16 hours a day which drove some of his dance partners to tears. Practice makes perfect though.

Another interesting thing about drums that I read recently. During the state funeral of John Kennedy there was a military drum corp that played the drums at the funeral. The drums were described as "muffled" and they repeated a drum beat over and over throughout much of the funeral parade.

I stumbled onto a thread discussing one of the men in the corp who played at the funeral. I find it amazing that this drum beat and the men in the drum corp is being discussed decades later.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/in...v-24-1963/

Edit: Dammit! I should have put this over in your drum thread. Now that I've posted it here I don't know how to move it there.