I haz a baby birds...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I haz a baby birds...
On my shelf, in my shop, right above my workbench.

From May 17th...

[Image: 2013-05-17_20-59-45_648_zps75bf7bcc.jpg]

And this morning, June 5th...

[Image: 2013-06-05_13-01-09_975_zps2a4bb4c5.jpg]

I don't know what I'm gonna do now. I reckon I'll have to relocate my workbench until the little buggers fly the coop cause I'm scared to death I'll frighten the mother too much... or maybe even get scalped. Sadcryface

They're Bachmans sparrows and I have tons of them around my house, along with pigeons, doves, woodpeckers, blue jays, cardinals, robins, various other sparrows and the occasional red winged black bird. I have two running water features (one heated), three different feeders + hummingbird feeders and, of course squirrel feeders. I've had a few injured birds that I've cared for before but I've never had a nest so close that I could see it on a day to say basis... how cool is that?.

Nature kicks ass. Cool

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
RE: I haz a baby birds...
burn them Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2013, 09:43 PM
We have had a pair of birds working hard on moving into the birdhouse that's been mostly ignored since we put it up a few years ago.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Awww!! Would a container of fishing worms nearby be an appropriate baby gift for the new mom?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-06-2013, 10:23 PM
(05-06-2013 09:55 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Awww!! Would a container of fishing worms nearby be an appropriate baby gift for the new mom?

I don't think she's a fisherman...

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
05-06-2013, 10:35 PM
can birds smell worms? how do they find them? The kids find them by turning rocks over-but I don't see the robins in my yard turning over rocks.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-06-2013, 10:42 PM
(05-06-2013 10:35 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  can birds smell worms? how do they find them? The kids find them by turning rocks over-but I don't see the robins in my yard turning over rocks.

I think for the most part they find them through sight. Although I would imagine they can also smell them as well.

My little new mother wouldn't care for worms cause she eats seeds, plant matter and spiders.

I have a lot of worms in the yard and when I'm watching the robins, they're usually on the ground doing their hunting and it looks to me like they're using their eyes more than anything.

But then... I'm just a stupid human who has no idea what's actually going on in their minds so that's purely conjecture.

In any event, I don't much care how they do just as long as they do it within eyesight of me. Watching the critters in my yard is one of my favorite pastimes.

[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
06-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I have been kicked out of my gazebo and this is the time of year when it is the most fun to use... Went in a few days ago to straighten up a chair that the wind blew over and got attacked by blackbirds, with babies screaming in the background.

The gazebo is covered in climbing roses, and because we had a cool start into the year, they bloomed in the inside before the outer ones opened. So it would have been nice to sit in there and enjoy the beauty of it - but no such luck. I have been successfully evicted. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-06-2013, 10:46 AM
awww! They are too cute.

I no longer watch the baby birds that nest under our deck. (we get robins)

When they begin to fledge our dog, invariably catches and kills them. It's horrifying. We had some that we became very attached to years ago....

Never again. Sadcryface

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-06-2013, 10:53 AM
(06-06-2013 10:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  awww! They are too cute.

I no longer watch the baby birds that nest under our deck. (we get robins)

When they begin to fledge our dog, invariably catches and kills them. It's horrifying. We had some that we became very attached to years ago....

Never again. Sadcryface

Yeah, one of my dachshunds fancies herself a ferocious killer and once in a while she catches a sick or adolescent bird. I can't bear to watch it.

That's the uncool part of nature...

[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post