I heard there's two creation versions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2014, 11:42 PM
I heard there's two creation versions?
Can someone point me in the right direction? I heard there's two versions of creationism. I'd like to learn about each and the differences, or if your up to it I appreciate the summary in layman's terms. Thanks!

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2014, 12:08 AM
RE: I heard there's two creation versions?
I know there's young and old Earth creationism. Young Earth is the ole 6,000 year old BS you always hear about and they believe Genesis should be taken literal and Old Earth Creationism is God created everything but the age of the Earth as described by scientists is correct and Genesis should not be taken literal. I'm sure there's more to each of them than that but that's the gist.

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious." - Sam Harris

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank." - Woody Allen
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
28-07-2014, 05:51 AM
(27-07-2014 11:42 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Can someone point me in the right direction? I heard there's two versions of creationism. I'd like to learn about each and the differences, or if your up to it I appreciate the summary in layman's terms. Thanks!

What you're probably talking about is the two different stories you get in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2.

They're the same or very similar in many regards. They both feature God creating the world from nothing. Each version goes into more details on some events than the other version. For example: Genesis 1 talks about what happened on each of the six days of creation. Genesis 2 glosses over that, mostly, and talks more about God making Adam from clay, Eve from his rib, and all the stuff Adam did early on.

There are some things that appear contradictory (although, this won't stop apologists from telling you there are no contradictions). For example, Genesis 1:11 says that God created all of the plants on the third day, and Genesis 1:26 says that man was create on the sixth day. Genesis 2:5-7 says that God made Adam first, notes that no plants had yet sprung up, then mentions the Garden of Eden.

Typically, what you get as a Christian is an explanation that this is one, consistent narrative. I've heard that these two were merged together when the Israelites and Judeans merged (or something along those lines), but I don't have anything directly to give a source for that. At a minimum, Genesis 1 and 2 read rather stilted if you read them back to back and pay close attention.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-07-2014, 01:37 PM
(27-07-2014 11:42 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Can someone point me in the right direction? I heard there's two versions of creationism. I'd like to learn about each and the differences, or if your up to it I appreciate the summary in layman's terms. Thanks!

Yes there some seeming contradictions between Genesis one and two but they always are able to explain them away. Genesis is full of contradictions like cattle being created before women were and the earth being created before the sun. The whole notion of a consciousness creating everything means that existence is subjective.

Just tell them that Genesis is true for them but not for you. They should have absolutely no problem with this since they hold a subjective view of the world. Then watch them contradict themselves by arguing with you that the truth of the Bible is Objective.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.
29-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah I'm guessing Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 was what was being referenced when I heard this. Interesting, thanks dude.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
02-08-2014, 09:04 PM
All bullshit is broadly the same really.

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits... - George Carlin.
04-08-2014, 04:24 AM
Basic creationism theory is based on idea that no life can emerge from non living and therefore all life has been created by an intelligent being namely THE GOD. The Young earth creationist believe the earth and all universe being created very recently and they reject the idea of evolution of life, earth etc. The Old earth creationist on the other hand believe that evolutionary processes is truth but the whole process is guided by THE GOD. So Old earth creationist do not take into literal meaning of the Genesis myth.
04-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Genesis 1 tells how God created the world. It includes the statement that on the sixth day he created man. Genesis 2 then gives a detailed description of the creation of man.

https://answersingenesis.org/contradicti...ach-other/

https://answersingenesis.org/contradicti...-accounts/

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2014, 07:15 AM
(04-08-2014 10:44 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Genesis 1 tells how God created the world. It includes the statement that on the sixth day he created man. Genesis 2 then gives a detailed description of the creation of man.

https://answersingenesis.org/contradicti...ach-other/

https://answersingenesis.org/contradicti...-accounts/

You're always going to have a problem being taken seriously when you cite a source that straight-faced tells us that dinosaurs and humans coexisted.

AiG "solves" the contradictions in the two stories by relying on verb tense in the original Hebrew translation to try and reorder what seems apparent on a first reading. Of course, they will totally downplay the importance of ancient Hebrew when talking about things like the satan and the differences between Sheol, Gehenna, Hinnom, Hades, and Hell.

You get -1 just for using that site.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-08-2014, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 08:07 AM by Brian37.)
The look of Superman in comics was different in the 60s and changed over the years. There have been several different Batmans in the movies too.

If Christians think their "creation" story is original or even the first in human history they would be wrong. Science has proven that the earth is 4 billion years old and that the universe is 14 billion years old.

The common story of the flood taught in the children's bible says two by two of every animal, but if you read the different books with multiple accounts there are others that say 7 of each. That still would not, either way, explain how animals on one continent crossed an entire oceans to get to the ark.

Bottom line is that all holy books including the bible are merely reflections of the beliefs of the people of that time. Both creation myths and flood myths existed with different details and different scales all over the world throughout history.

If some here watched the new Cosmos series with Neil Degress Tyson, you know he spent time talking about various superstitions about comets that existed worldwide.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post