I heard there's two creation versions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Re: RE: I heard there's two creation versions?
(05-08-2014 07:56 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  The look of Superman in comics was different in the 60s and changed over the years. There have been several different Batmans in the movies too.

If Christians think their "creation" story is original or even the first in human history they would be wrong. Science has proven that the earth is 4 billion years old and that the universe is 14 billion years old.

The common story of the flood taught in the children's bible says two by two of every animal, but if you read the different books with multiple accounts there are others that say 7 of each. That still would not, either way, explain how animals on one continent crossed an entire oceans to get to the ark.

Bottom line is that all holy books including the bible are merely reflections of the beliefs of the people of that time. Both creation myths and flood myths existed with different details and different scales all over the world throughout history.

If some here watched the new Cosmos series with Neil Degress Tyson, you know he spent time talking about various superstitions about comets that existed worldwide.

To harp onto this... There's a reason some parts of the early Bible call God EL and others Yaweh.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
RE: I heard there's two creation versions?
(05-08-2014 03:25 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  To harp onto this... There's a reason some parts of the early Bible call God EL and others Yaweh.

Actually, he's never called YHWH in the Bible directly. The abbreviation comes from a term he once calls himself (I am what I am), but you'll never find YHWH, Yahweh, JHVH, or Jehovah explicitly mentioned.

Regarding the whole "El" thing, the authors would randomly switch between singular and plural. I think the apologists try to handwave this away by saying Hebrew was weird with singulars and plurals, but archeology shows that the ancient Canaanites were polytheistic.
05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I think you might be interested in this thread. There are two creation stories. The analysis of the Hebew vocabulary in each was one of the first clues about how the Bible was assembled.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...lid?page=3

Read my post on this page first, then the thread. It's called in academia the "Documentary Hypothesis".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

14-08-2014, 09:31 AM
there are as many creation stories as there are desperate believers
15-08-2014, 01:11 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 01:17 AM by Diogenes of Mayberry.)
1. Genesis 1 was taken from the Sumerian creation epic, Enuma Elish

2. Regarding the contradictions between El and Jehovah/Yahweh: El was the god in northern Israel, Yahweh in southern Judah. After the Assyrians decimated Israel and scattered the population, those who remained and came south had their myths and traditions blended into the southern one. Not only does this explain the 2 names, but also why there are 2 priesthoods (Aaronids and Levites), and why there was a competing altar to Jerusalem at Bethel prior to Josiah's reforms that centered the cult at their family temple. Gee, I wonder why?

Take the time to watch the Bible Unearthed documentary:

US History channel version (in a way, a summary of the Euro version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XK3DcQe9s

European version (4 distinct episodes that go into more detail): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t440bxhn1...RxB4xR4hYk

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
17-08-2014, 07:35 AM
(14-08-2014 09:31 AM)Ace Wrote:  there are as many creation stories as there are desperate believers

Exactly! I suspect smile was only interested in the young/old creationist "debate" but there's a whole raft of them out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_creation_myth