I just "came out" to my friends and family. This is what I e-mailed them

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2012, 11:38 AM
RE: I just "came out" to my friends and family. This is what I e-mailed them
(10-11-2012 10:31 PM)Egor Wrote:  Do you really think I give a damn about rep points? For me, it's a badge of honor to be negative in rep points.

Amen!
After all, we know who is giving them...

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
13-11-2012, 11:45 AM
How did this turn into a thread about someone other than the OP?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
13-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Egor always hijacks threads with insensitivity and hate.

But to the original point of this post; coming out is a terrifying experience. I was lucky enough to be born with the bullheadedness and stubbornness of my parents and basically said, "Look, I'm an atheist. Nothing you say will change that, and if you want to make something out of it and cause drama then it's on you. I don't plan to bring it up unless you nag at me." And you know what? My uncle takes me up on it every single time he sees me. HE'S the one that makes a big deal about my atheism, not me, and he's the one that causes the drama by yelling and screaming at me when I don't agree with him. You aren't causing division; if that is how they choose to react to your honesty than it is they who are causing division.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Some of you might remember .. some probrably don't .. but Egor is nothing but a fake, wannabe troll. I called him out on it in his introduction thread long long ago. He's hasn't changed one bit.. He's still rude and insulting towards others. I don't like this person. NEVER will I share a drink with the turd.

And for the OP, Congrats on your freedom. I'm happy for you.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
13-11-2012, 09:25 PM
(09-11-2012 10:08 PM)Egor Wrote:  You should have kept it to yourself. All you've done is shit on everything your family and your husband's family holds to be the most important thing there is in life. I think you just want attention. You don't know if God exists or doesn't exist, so for you to "come out" means nothing. All it was was hate you wanted to inflict on your family for whatever your twisted reason's are.

That's my opinion, and you asked for it.

You're a loud mouthed tosser and a disgrace to your profession.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
13-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Hey Egor, listen to this hypothetical situation... Your family is Muslim, all of them and a pretty strong ones, they pray, not eat pork, don't drink and so on... You always had a strange feeling about it all, until one day you discover Christ and become a Christian (or a Veridican, or something similar). Would you keep quiet about your beliefs and pray to Allah with your family every day, thus breaking Gods first command, or would you have the strength and balls to come out and tell your family what you believe (or don't believe anymore)?

It is as simple as that. Religion, or the lack of it, is a strong and a big part of someones life. You can not expect a person to live a Christian life, go to church, pray before dinner and talk about Christ with his/hers family if he/she does not believe in those things. If you do not come out, then you are a liar, a hypocrite, a person that does not respect it's family, a person that does not respect it's own beliefs. Or you can tell the truth, it is the only moral thing to do, although some problems may come out of it, but it up to the rest of the family to show some respect as well. Respect and mutual understanding.

Think about this.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-11-2012, 12:12 AM
I think it is normal for people to feel the urge to let people know who they are, especially to those that matter the most to them. I felt the same urge to "come out" to my family. It isn't about my family, it isn't about how they feel, it was about me. That may sound selfish, but I could quite simply no longer keep quiet and pretend to be something I wasn't.

Of course yes, there have been consequences of doing so, and I have lost friends, and people do see me differently. But at least it is who I am, not who I am not.

So don't sweat the naysayers and those who told you that you're a jerk or an asshole or shitting on people for doing what you feel you need to do. People who are hostile are usually hostile because they are still trying to find themselves and upset when they can't find opinions they can agree with, or because they have their own underlying feelings towards something that brings up bad moments for them.

Either that... or...
Quote:"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed."
14-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Logish, what do you think, who is a better person here? The one that was always the same person, only he was once a Christian, now he stated he is an atheist, but he did not change, he is still the same person, with same interests and same behavior toward his friends and family. Or his friends who are his friends while he is Christian, after he is not a part of their group, they turn their back on him? Where is the moral here, who is a moral person, these Christians that turned their back on their friend, or the person who follows his heart, but does not leave his friends, just because he left his church?

Now, Egor, you try to answer this as well.

Those who abandon you when you say you are an atheist are immoral people who never truly cared about you, in fact their harts are full of resent and evil, their souls (if you believe in it) are black and rotten. To see who your real friends are, we all should come out, those friends that stay with you are true, those that walk away are better off walking away.

This is the most simple of all tests... Test your friends and family, see who they truly are, open yours and theirs eyes.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-11-2012, 06:09 AM
(14-11-2012 05:55 AM)Filox Wrote:  Logish, what do you think, who is a better person here? The one that was always the same person, only he was once a Christian, now he stated he is an atheist, but he did not change, he is still the same person, with same interests and same behavior toward his friends and family. Or his friends who are his friends while he is Christian, after he is not a part of their group, they turn their back on him? Where is the moral here, who is a moral person, these Christians that turned their back on their friend, or the person who follows his heart, but does not leave his friends, just because he left his church?

Now, Egor, you try to answer this as well.

Those who abandon you when you say you are an atheist are immoral people who never truly cared about you, in fact their harts are full of resent and evil, their souls (if you believe in it) are black and rotten. To see who your real friends are, we all should come out, those friends that stay with you are true, those that walk away are better off walking away.

This is the most simple of all tests... Test your friends and family, see who they truly are, open yours and theirs eyes.
That's a difficult question to answer... since I think it could be answer in many ways. A person could say they are true to their morals for sticking to their guns. The believer who stands firm in what they believe who turns their back on someone when they are no longer a part of that group may be "moral" by their standards. Whereas the person who feels turned on may feel it is immoral, or unjustified since they feel betrayed. Perhaps immoral that a person promised to be your friend but turns on you when suddenly the stance on a subject is something they don't agree with.

That's a hard question for me to answer, because mostly, I'm not sure if I have an ultimately awesome answer to it. But I'm open to see what others say Smile

For me... a simple good or bad, right or wrong... it feels wrong that a person would turn their backs on someone like that. I have friends who still are friends with me even though I'm an atheist now, they are still religious. They told me they love me no matter what and that I'm still a good friend, regardless of what I believe or don't believe. To me, that is a good person.

I agree with you that people who resent you or hate you over finding out you don't believe something were probably never true friends to begin with. Or never trustworthy friends to begin with. After all, if your entire friendship can falter at the simple disagreement of whether or not you believe in a supernatural being, you're lacking a huge foundation of friendship.

That's just my opinion.
14-11-2012, 11:25 PM
(13-11-2012 02:22 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Some of you might remember .. some probrably don't .. but Egor is nothing but a fake, wannabe troll. I called him out on it in his introduction thread long long ago. He's hasn't changed one bit.. He's still rude and insulting towards others. I don't like this person. NEVER will I share a drink with the turd.

And for the OP, Congrats on your freedom. I'm happy for you.

I am sure he is not likely to ask you to have a drink. lol