I just came out to my mother.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I just came out to my mother.
After listening to the podcast for the past week and gathering things to explain to my mom why I am an atheist I came out to her today. It was very hard to watch my mom crying as she told me she still loved me. Then watching her coming up with the same arguments I have seen so many other theists say on the show and in arguments with Christopher Hitchens. I explained to her all the things I couldn't explain and the things that turned me to giving up on religion.

Long story short, after an hour of talking to her I was very relieved to hear her say that she still loved me and would pray for me.

Also I think what really helped her was something I took something right from Seth's words and told her that if religion ever did start making more sense I would be right back on the religious band wagon.

I just wanted to share this with yall, many stories from the podcasts and the forums gave me the strength to come out to her.

Now lets see what my father has to say >.>
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like hollowpointm16's post
07-03-2012, 06:53 PM
RE: I just came out to my mother.
I'm glad to hear that, congradulations!

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Well done Smile
There's nothing worse than being in the closet.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Congradumalations! It's a bit sad that anyone would feel the need to cry over it but I guess if you take eternal damnation seriously it would really bug you.
Good luck with your dad.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone Smile
I don't think my dad will be that bad off. He seems more down to earth...but also quicker to anger. I just hope I don't come to regret it lol.
07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
That good news... But, you made it seem as if it was a big deal. That was the problem. The best way to do it, in my honest opinion, is tell everyone but your family. Let the word spread and make it to where it has to end up getting to them. When they ask, just shrug it off, as yeah I am. And don't make a big deal about it. But hey, that's just me.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
07-03-2012, 07:15 PM
(07-03-2012 07:03 PM)hollowpointm16 Wrote:  Thanks everyone Smile
I don't think my dad will be that bad off. He seems more down to earth...but also quicker to anger. I just hope I don't come to regret it lol.

I thought my father was more down to Earth until I told him I was an atheist. My mother took it better than he did. He started in with something about me insulting him and did what he could to hurt me (at least it seemed), but it wasn't what he said, but that he was seemingly trying to hurt me with his words that really hurt. We are OK now, but there are things they won't talk about anymore. It's sad. Good thing they don't know my brother is an atheist yet. I feel all warm and fuzzy when he is saying the same thing I just did, but they listen to him. It's almost hilarious, but I don't laugh as not to give the game away. They can be really blind sometimes.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
07-03-2012, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 07:25 PM by hollowpointm16.)
(07-03-2012 07:14 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  That good news... But, you made it seem as if it was a big deal. That was the problem. The best way to do it, in my honest opinion, is tell everyone but your family. Let the word spread and make it to where it has to end up getting to them. When they ask, just shrug it off, as yeah I am. And don't make a big deal about it. But hey, that's just me.

Yea, trust me, this isn't something my parents would ever let me just shrug off.
(07-03-2012 07:15 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(07-03-2012 07:03 PM)hollowpointm16 Wrote:  Thanks everyone Smile

I thought my father was more down to Earth until I told him I was an atheist. My mother took it better than he did. He started in with something about me insulting him and did what he could to hurt me (at least it seemed), but it wasn't what he said, but that he was seemingly trying to hurt me with his words that really hurt. We are OK now, but there are things they won't talk about anymore. It's sad. Good thing they don't know my brother is an atheist yet. I feel all warm and fuzzy when he is saying the same thing I just did, but they listen to him. It's almost hilarious, but I don't laugh as not to give the game away. They can be really blind sometimes.
Yea well I was surprised it went over as well as it did with my mother. Really shocked. Im sure my dad will have more to say on it, but im really hoping he just doesn't come over and do it tonight. I understand the sibling thing, I am the middle child and my older sister is a children's minister, so I was the first one caught with a beer, or cussing or anything like that. I was grounded for half of my time in high school. My younger brother did the same thing and they either blamed me or gave him a slap on the wrist.
07-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Sounds like you AND your mom handled it well. I admire your approach, and think that being gentle and appreciative of the hurt she feels is the mature way to go about it. Good for you!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks, I was worried I brought it up too soon, I left a couple hints here and there, but I didn't like lying to her.