I just came out to my mother.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-03-2012, 08:00 AM
RE: I just came out to my mother.
That's good to hear that your mother accepted you for who you are.

When I came out to my mother I remember her saying that I was stupid for not believing in a god. But I expected as much from her. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
When i told my mom i didnt believe in god, she got mad and asked me what god did to me to make me not believe. HUH!!!
09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I must be one of the lucky ones. My dad was from a strict Irish Catholic background and had religion forced on him in one form or another most days. While he still maintains a belief system of sorts, he vowed never to pressure his kids on the point of religion. My moms upbringing wasn't religious at all, so she was not bothered either way so just supported my dads viewpoint.

I am constantly questioning myself now about how I raise my own kids.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
09-03-2012, 10:44 AM
(09-03-2012 02:14 AM)Egor Wrote:  And thank you. But you said, "Sin doesn't exist for me." Methinks you just answered my question.

As a Veridican, I only read The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ. And throughout it, Jesus confirms that we do in fact sin. Could it be that you are an atheist (and this is a rhetorical question) because as soon as you give up a belief in God, the concept of sin just goes poof? Could it be a deep-seated need for perfection? That's why I'm a theist. That's why I'm a Veridican and not a Christian.

Or perhaps, as Hannibal Lector would say, your pathology is a thousand times more savage. Could it be you have to get rid of the notion of sin at all costs?

So many young people are becoming atheists these days. What's going to happen when they discover they can morally do anything they want? What's going to happen when they put that into practice? We already had the sexual revolution. What's next?

That's an interesting point. I don't agree with it but it's a way I've never thought about it before. No-one can know what happens in their sub-concious so I can't say it's impossible but I do strongly disagree with it. I do however act in accordance with some moral code, by which I mean what I personally think is right and wrong as opposed to what someone else thinks. I think it shows a higher level of morality to act morally because you think it is right as opposed to you have been told to.

I also find the Bible to be of dubious morality to say the least. It may have some good passages but also condones slavery, genocide, human sacrifice, rape and more. I think the only way to get morality from the Bible is to pick and choose passages but when people do that they are using their own moral compass to do so. This means that the morality is actually coming from within, it just appears to come from the Bible.

To be honest I think more Atheists will make to world a better place. The UK is pretty secular anyway but I think the US could benefit from a more secular approach. To me more Atheists means a society where laws are based on reason not bronze age musing, a society that drives scientific advancement to improve everyone's lives, a society where the divides of religion no longer exist. I guess our views of a secular world are pretty different.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
09-03-2012, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 11:46 PM by hollowpointm16.)
(08-03-2012 11:45 AM)Egor Wrote:  Well, that's what they get for raising you, caring for you, protecting you, sending you to school, buying your clothes, and trying to show you the way to God. They get failure thrown in their faces. They probably really like the utterly meaningless tattoo you got inscribed on your body as well.

So, I take it you hate your parents for some reason? You must. Otherwise you could have just kept your opinions to yourself, graduated, got a job, moved out, and lived your life any way you pleased. But you had to strike your mother right in her heart--for some reason.

Let me be the first to give you a big round of applause! What a great son you are!
yea, my tattoo is covering up a religious tattoo, nothing as meaningless as that.
And I don't know about your parent's but mine would actually rather me not lie to them on a constant basis.

(08-03-2012 12:04 PM)freedom Wrote:  Dear Hollow point, I admire you for being kind and respectful towards your Mother. If I can add some insight. When you told your Mother she probably thought about the "unpardonable sin" Read Matthew 12: 31-32. Mark 3:29, Luke 12:10. As an atheist I know you don't believe what the bible says but your Mother does and the words of the bible are ingrained in her heart. And now she is envisioning eternity without you. this has to be very painful for her. On this site there is a site called contradictions of the bible. These verses are there. I encourage you to study these verses to see if they truly contradict each other. Remember though, taking verses out of context can construe the meanings. And verse reveals verse. Do this out of respect for your Mother's beliefs. Once you understand why your Mother is sad to hear that you are an atheist then you can go on in your own beliefs. Because I believe that everyone chooses their own path in life.

I was a christian for 25 years, I know why she is upset, I put it to her as kindly as I could.
(08-03-2012 05:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  Let me ask you a question: What are you doing in the atheist forum if it's already decided who will believe and who will not? And just so you know, I'm new to that theological concept, and I'm not at all sure we are looking at it correctly. In my mind, I keep going back and forth regarding it.

Look, this kid is a teen. He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. If he's an atheist, I assure you it hasn't come from a lifetime spent contemplating the deep issues of God and religion as they relate to life in the real world. A teenage atheist is just someone following the pack. That's what teens do; they follow the pack, one pack or another. This kid just got into an atheist pack somehow. I would imagine he's gay since he titles his post "I just came out to my mother."

Gay teens always rebel against religion because religion preaches against being gay. They don't know enough to realize Jesus never said a thing about it. So they go with the atheist crowd. They haven't lived long enough to realize being gay has almost no effect on a religious life.

Besides, no one is religious in their teens and twenties. They're too involved with looking for sex and hopefully marriage (of some sort). Religion gets in the way. God knows that. So this teen coming out to his mother is ridiculous. And it's probably ridiculous that she gets all emotional about it. If I were his dad, I'd say, fine, but you're still going to church with us and you better keep your eyes open, and shut up about atheism at the dinner table.

And I'd leave it at that.
Im in the forum to talk to other people who have highly religious families that they can no longer fully share their lives with comfortably, I had doubt for 5 years, finaly dropped foolishly believing in something with no proof.

Im 25, not a teen, you would know that if you clicked my profile, but I forgot, you are religious, so you don't look for real information. Again spent 25 years as a christian, and 5 years of that was spent looking for things to defend my religion. Follows a pack? I know only 2 other atheists, and they didn't come out to me till I admitted on facebook that I was atheist. Im not gay either.

I also don't live with my parents but if It would make them feel better id go to church with them once or twice a year. I find christianity much more interesting now that I know its a myth.

You are just like every other religious person, accepting answers about something with no idea what you are talking about.
(09-03-2012 02:44 AM)Leela Wrote:  congratulations about your coming out. I know I am a bit late but who cares.
Great step and it sounds you handled it just fine Smile
Good luck with your dad.
Don't let anybody give you bad feelings about it. Most certainly it is better to not know some things than claim knowledge that is unproven or believe without questioning.

cheers

Thanks, no worries on posting late, Ive been working late the last couple of days Tongue
(09-03-2012 07:18 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I'm glad it went well Hollowpoint. I can understand the idea of making it no big deal, but probably for your life it has been a big deal. I myself when forcing the fact that I was female out, went to school. Then after they had to accept it happened I talked to them. It kinda made it easier for me that they saw it first, since they could no longer act like it wasn't true.

I use the word force because I was abrupt. I don't have an atheism story because I as a child demanded we not go to church and won. Had my family never known that I was a girl I would've moved out, probably before 18 and never spoke to them again. I have already cut off my dad's entire family due to this lying thing. It is definitely not a bad thing to let your family know who you are. Congratulations for allowing your mother to remain an important if sometimes awkward part of your life.

How many days are you waiting to tell your dad? If you wait a while he'll have formed an opinion from mom's talk with him, just as a warning. I had the ability to discuss with both it can sometimes make things easier. Did you ask your mom to let you tell him? I'm just mentioning because if he's been coached any this will be harder the second time around. Your mom will probably be on your side for you being happy, but that doesnt mean she'll handle it just like you want it.

Warning you ahead of time because the second go at it is always a bit worse than expected. Had my dad not been the first to tell his mother about me I might still see his family. Remember that they'll cry and regret for now as they are learning who you are, but soon enough they'll take pride in the fact that you're a happy child. As long as you better yourself your parents will be happy for you.
Yea my dad knows, I ate dinner with them last night, he didn't really say much about it. I explained a few bullet points but he was rather chill with it.
[+] 3 users Like hollowpointm16's post