I just can't deal with religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2016, 04:52 PM
I just can't deal with religion
My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.
My old preacher had a saying about not needing religion but a relationship with Jesus. Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..
But in my current situation I don't know which way to go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2016, 05:08 PM
RE: I just can't deal with religion
Hug

Best wishes to you.

Am sure some one with better insight will offer something more.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
15-03-2016, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2016 05:41 PM by carol.)
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.
My old preacher had a saying about not needing religion but a relationship with Jesus. Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..
First, I want to wish you the best and I hope that you can find a solution for the fear that you are feeling...here is a hug. Hug I hope that you can feel better soon...

I have heard of some people who have fear problems in general- that they get panic attacks sometimes. Could it be possible that the fear that you feel is not just about religion, but a panic attack instead, or an anxiety disorder? You may want to find out more about anxiety disorders, just to see if that may make sense to you. For some people, anxiety is a medical issue.

I am sending these links because you had said:

"When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it."

I thought that if you feel so frightened that you tremble and your heart races, could it be possible that you have an anxiety disorder? If you read up on it, it may make sense to you...or not...

Here is a link to Mayo clinic about panic attacks:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20020825

Here is one about anxiety:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20024562
[+] 3 users Like carol's post
15-03-2016, 05:16 PM
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.

Welcome.

Lots of people here went through a period of doubt.

It's like when you realize you have been fed a bunch of fairy tales by people you trusted, it's hard to take.

Prophesies have been made since biblical times over and over and none of them have come true. I wouldn't get worried about that....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Why "prophecy" specifically?

Most of those claims are horseshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
15-03-2016, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2016 06:25 PM by Jewelarcher.)
I don’t know that I can explain why prophecy. For some reason that’s my trigger. I don’t know if its because its written in a book claiming to know the future.. and it looks like its coming true.. I really don’t know. But if a prophecy LOOKS like its happening its over. At night I force myself to stay awake at the thought of it. Too scared to sleep. To scared, I cant function as a normal person anymore. And I do not know why.. but the answers athiests provide.. bring me comfort… until the next bad thing happens..
15-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Hug
15-03-2016, 07:11 PM
(15-03-2016 05:10 PM)carol Wrote:  
First, I want to wish you the best and I hope that you can find a solution for the fear that you are feeling...here is a hug. Hug I hope that you can feel better soon...

I have heard of some people who have fear problems in general- that they get panic attacks sometimes. Could it be possible that the fear that you feel is not just about religion, but a panic attack instead, or an anxiety disorder? You may want to find out more about anxiety disorders, just to see if that may make sense to you. For some people, anxiety is a medical issue.

I am sending these links because you had said:

"When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it."

I thought that if you feel so frightened that you tremble and your heart races, could it be possible that you have an anxiety disorder? If you read up on it, it may make sense to you...or not...

Here is a link to Mayo clinic about panic attacks:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20020825

Here is one about anxiety:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20024562

I read these and I have experienced this. At night when I lay down after having one of these spells my heart just gets out of control. But it is mostly triggered by religious stuff, that's what makes me wonder if I should give it up.
But then that Christian in me freaks out more if I consider it.
15-03-2016, 07:32 PM
I posted this in your Intro thread, I dunno if you got a chance to read it:

o sorry you're struggling. I am an ex-Christian myself. It is a struggle coming out of religion since you were brainwashed to believe a certain way. It's very hard to realign your thinking, but it can happen. It just takes time and educating yourself.

The end of times has been going on for a long time. They believed this way back in biblical times. The Bible actually has sections that are classified as apocalyptic literature because they believed the world was coming to an end very soon. Fast forward til now and some religious people still believe the world is coming to an end. After all of the prophecies and predictions by various religious folks, this obviously has yet to happen. That should tell you something right there. As far as any other prophecies, many were written in after the fact or were completely vague and were/are left open to interpretation. People will say the Bible predicts all kinds of things, which of course, it doesn't. Some people like to take passages out of their original context and twist them to fit current or past occurrences. This is a very common practice with the rapturists, which it sounds like your religious upbringing may have been a part of.

Get Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A historical and literary introduction. He's a biblical scholar and his book explains where all these ideas and stories came from. People wrote these stories. Not a god. I also recommend reading the Skeptics Annotated Bible by Steve Wells.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-03-2016, 07:32 PM
If you want to give us an example of a prophecy that is bothering you, we can help you work through it.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post