I just can't deal with religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 07:42 AM
RE: I just can't deal with religion
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.
My old preacher had a saying about not needing religion but a relationship with Jesus. Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..
But in my current situation I don't know which way to go.

Why does it cause such anxiety for you?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 09:19 AM
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..

The notion of "praying" is nonsensical. Prayer has been scientifically proven not to work.

Check out THIS site for all the evidence you need of this, and in particular note its conclusion.

And I sincerely hope you're able to eventually rationalise your thinking about religion in general, and overcome your anxiety disorder in particular. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-03-2016, 10:32 AM
(16-03-2016 07:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.
My old preacher had a saying about not needing religion but a relationship with Jesus. Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..
But in my current situation I don't know which way to go.

Why does it cause such anxiety for you?

you know. i cant tell you. every since i was little i was terrified of gods judgement. ive always had nightmares.
my 8th grade preacher tried to tell me i only got this way when a major event was coming up. and that made sense for a while because before graduation i did the same thing. but now it has gone to nearly an everyday occurrence.
16-03-2016, 10:35 AM
(16-03-2016 09:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..

The notion of "praying" is nonsensical. Prayer has been scientifically proven not to work.

Check out THIS site for all the evidence you need of this, and in particular note its conclusion.

And I sincerely hope you're able to eventually rationalise your thinking about religion in general, and overcome your anxiety disorder in particular. Smile

yeah that was interesting. the way i was brought up was "if the prayer doesnt work then you dont have faith"
this actually happened to a lady at my old church. she had cancer and we all gathered around her to pray. the next week shes talking about new complications and they were like.. did you have faith? they basically blamed the new complications on lack of faith and when things improved said she got her faith back.
16-03-2016, 12:12 PM
(16-03-2016 10:32 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 07:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why does it cause such anxiety for you?

you know. i cant tell you. every since i was little i was terrified of gods judgement. ive always had nightmares.
my 8th grade preacher tried to tell me i only got this way when a major event was coming up. and that made sense for a while because before graduation i did the same thing. but now it has gone to nearly an everyday occurrence.

It sounds like scrupulosity, a form of OCD.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-03-2016, 12:20 PM
(16-03-2016 10:32 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 07:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Why does it cause such anxiety for you?

Was there some traumatic childhood event that might have triggered it?

I'm primarily asking because I never understand seemingly irrational anxieties some people have. Like a friend who feels considerable anxiety when seeing very large objects, or a brother in-law who's anxiety gets triggered by every day clumsiness.

Where your parents very judgmental, where those judgments harsh? Is it because the idea of God's judgement bring to mind some other set of traumatic experiences that have been difficult for you to deal with?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
16-03-2016, 01:18 PM
(16-03-2016 12:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 10:32 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  you know. i cant tell you. every since i was little i was terrified of gods judgement. ive always had nightmares.

Was there some traumatic childhood event that might have triggered it?

I'm primarily asking because I never understand seemingly irrational anxieties some people have. Like a friend who feels considerable anxiety when seeing very large objects, or a brother in-law who's anxiety gets triggered by every day clumsiness.

Where your parents very judgmental, where those judgments harsh? Is it because the idea of God's judgement bring to mind some other set of traumatic experiences that have been difficult for you to deal with?

The only thing I can say is my mother and father fought my entire childhood. Coming home from school one day she was in a car going to jail. A few days later dropping her off. When they got divorced I suffered alone because I was the oldest (7) they were only concerned about the babies. My dad was hard on me (he raised us with his parents because he was a truck driver and was only home a day and a half a week) it seems now he just didn't know what to do and wanted to make sure we grew up ok. After that I witnessed all of my moms abusive boyfriends alcoholism and drugs. I was always being treated harsher than my other siblings always in trouble. I had an attitude problem growing up and instead of getting help to fix it I just got punished.
My dad dated one lady who was a super Christian who always was at ends with me. I was later blamed in a three page not from my dad about their separation.
That was my life when I was introduced to a church that preached judgement and the end.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
16-03-2016, 01:58 PM
(16-03-2016 01:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  The only thing I can say is my mother and father fought my entire childhood. Coming home from school one day she was in a car going to jail. A few days later dropping her off. When they got divorced I suffered alone because I was the oldest (7) they were only concerned about the babies. My dad was hard on me (he raised us with his parents because he was a truck driver and was only home a day and a half a week) it seems now he just didn't know what to do and wanted to make sure we grew up ok. After that I witnessed all of my moms abusive boyfriends alcoholism and drugs. I was always being treated harsher than my other siblings always in trouble. I had an attitude problem growing up and instead of getting help to fix it I just got punished.
My dad dated one lady who was a super Christian who always was at ends with me. I was later blamed in a three page not from my dad about their separation.
That was my life when I was introduced to a church that preached judgement and the end.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you think there's a connection between these experiences, and the anxiety that gets triggered by religious thoughts and dramatic changes? I would think there is. That these triggers just bring you back to those difficult and traumatic experiences of your childhood, that you just never completely healed from?

I wouldn't know where to begin to truly recover from that, or if just finding ways to avoid the triggers is the best solution either.

16-03-2016, 03:33 PM
(16-03-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 01:18 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  The only thing I can say is my mother and father fought my entire childhood. Coming home from school one day she was in a car going to jail. A few days later dropping her off. When they got divorced I suffered alone because I was the oldest (7) they were only concerned about the babies. My dad was hard on me (he raised us with his parents because he was a truck driver and was only home a day and a half a week) it seems now he just didn't know what to do and wanted to make sure we grew up ok. After that I witnessed all of my moms abusive boyfriends alcoholism and drugs. I was always being treated harsher than my other siblings always in trouble. I had an attitude problem growing up and instead of getting help to fix it I just got punished.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you think there's a connection between these experiences, and the anxiety that gets triggered by religious thoughts and dramatic changes? I would think there is. That these triggers just bring you back to those difficult and traumatic experiences of your childhood, that you just never completely healed from?

I wouldn't know where to begin to truly recover from that, or if just finding ways to avoid the triggers is the best solution either.

It's been suggested but unless it's a super deep issue that affects me from the dark.. These aren't things that I think about
16-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Hug

Wishing you all the very best.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post