I just can't deal with religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2016, 03:56 PM
RE: I just can't deal with religion
(16-03-2016 03:33 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  It's been suggested but unless it's a super deep issue that affects me from the dark.. These aren't things that I think about

hum...i'm sorry to pry you with my questions, but it kind of relates to something involving a friend mine, that I've been trying to understand better.

At this point in your life, when memories of your experiences when you were younger arise, are the corresponding feelings similar to when thinking of God's judgment, prophecies, pending major events, etc..? Is their a similarity in what emotions get evoked in you when something reminds you of those childhood experiences, and when you think of these other things?

Or would you say something along the lines that you've dealt with those aspects of your early life long enough, that they've lost their sting?

I don't have a comparable anxiety of my own, so I'm kind of at loss as to really getting it. I would think they're connected to some set of earlier experiences that explain them, but perhaps this has more to do with my tendency to draw these connections, than what's true. I guess the connections are easier to draw and validate when it comes to anger, but I don't know if this sort of anxiety works the same.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 04:50 PM
(16-03-2016 03:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 03:33 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  It's been suggested but unless it's a super deep issue that affects me from the dark.. These aren't things that I think about

hum...i'm sorry to pry you with my questions, but it kind of relates to something involving a friend mine, that I've been trying to understand better.

At this point in your life, when memories of your experiences when you were younger arise, are the corresponding feelings similar to when thinking of God's judgment, prophecies, pending major events, etc..? Is their a similarity in what emotions get evoked in you when something reminds you of those childhood experiences, and when you think of these other things?

Or would you say something along the lines that you've dealt with those aspects of your early life long enough, that they've lost their sting?

I don't have a comparable anxiety of my own, so I'm kind of at loss as to really getting it. I would think they're connected to some set of earlier experiences that explain them, but perhaps this has more to do with my tendency to draw these connections, than what's true. I guess the connections are easier to draw and validate when it comes to anger, but I don't know if this sort of anxiety works the same.

Up until someone asks me about my childhood I don’t even think of it. So I do not really think those experiences have any relation. Now I have no feelings about those events either.
The only thing I can say about the prophecy is.. when someone on facebook mentions “the bible is fulfilling its word” I get shaken. If someone posts something that looks like a prophecy.. I get shaken. For some reason its only when related to the bible that I get upset. I love this world and the people in it. I know a lot who aren’t saved and I don’t want them to go to hell. I don’t want this stuff to happen when im away from my family.. like while im at work or school. I have only heard horror stories about the end times. How even though you are saved, if your works don’t add up you are cast into the shadows of heaven. Nothing has a happy ending for anyone then.
I don't know if that's the right answer
16-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Jewelarcher,

Try browsing through the following threads here on TTA. We've got some good discussions here that I hope will help put the bible into perspective for you and get rid of some of that fear.

Here are a few good ones to get you started.

how to use the bible against itself

Mark Fulton vs Q..."Was Paul a Charlatan" (This one is for viewing only. Don't post in this thread.)

was [mary] asked to come get Jesus for being mad

You can also browse around through the Atheism and Theism forum. Jump right in and make comments and ask questions. Smile
16-03-2016, 06:13 PM
(16-03-2016 05:37 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Jewelarcher,

Try browsing through the following threads here on TTA. We've got some good discussions here that I hope will help put the bible into perspective for you and get rid of some of that fear.

Here are a few good ones to get you started.

how to use the bible against itself

Mark Fulton vs Q..."Was Paul a Charlatan" (This one is for viewing only. Don't post in this thread.)

was [mary] asked to come get Jesus for being mad

You can also browse around through the Atheism and Theism forum. Jump right in and make comments and ask questions. Smile

Thank you for the time you take to respond to all of this. And I'm looking at some now!
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
16-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Here's a Resource Thread by goodwithoutgod.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-03-2016, 08:07 PM
(16-03-2016 07:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's a Resource Thread by goodwithoutgod.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

Thank you! I really appreciate everyone time! Y'all are so helpful
[+] 2 users Like Jewelarcher's post
17-03-2016, 07:27 AM
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.
My old preacher had a saying about not needing religion but a relationship with Jesus. Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..
But in my current situation I don't know which way to go.

[Image: 03a32e3a8766df5d08bf08ed167c8eee.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
17-03-2016, 07:42 AM
(17-03-2016 07:27 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(15-03-2016 04:52 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  My poor brain is having a hard time. I don't know if I believe or not. But the minute something looks like prophecy the fear hits. When I say it gives me anxiety it's no joke. I don't eat, sleep, rationalize things.. Nothing. I go into full panic, I can't breathe I tremble uncontrollably. My heart races.. I can't handle it. When I find hope in science and facts something biblical knocks me down. I just do not know what to do.
My old preacher had a saying about not needing religion but a relationship with Jesus. Guys I have prayed over my anxiety and it doesn't work and I'm told it's a lack of faith..
But in my current situation I don't know which way to go.

[Image: 03a32e3a8766df5d08bf08ed167c8eee.jpg]

Well, yeah. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.