I just can't understand religion in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I just can't understand religion in America
The threads in this forum section really blow my mind. I'm from Ireland, and despite 85% of Irish people being catholic, it is nothing compared to the things I read here.

For example, who actually is a creationist is the 21st fucking century? If you said you were a creationist in Ireland you would be laughed at. Literally no one is a creationist here. Then I come on here and I see some people talking about how they met some creationist and had an argument with them. Okay, most people in America are not actually creationists, but to think that it is even a topic to be discussed baffles me.

Or people having to "come out" about their atheism. I mean, what? Why is this even an issue?

Or even small things like having a debate with a Christian about religion. I have never even heard a debate about religion. I look at the front of the newspaper each day and I see nothing about religion. The most I have ever heard about religion on the radio was when the new pope was chosen, and that was about it.

My school is a fairly religious school, but there are no issues at all. If you are an atheist, nobody gives a shit. Most schools have religion exams, but they are about knowledge of religions. My school doesn't even examine religion. I do have religion class, but it is only used for topics like alcohol, proper contraception, trips out of school to help homeless, etc. We do have mass once or twice a year for Ash Wednesday. However in the morning prayer group for lent nobody turned up. If we never had any religious things going on, nobody would complain, we are all just happy to miss a few classes for it. Even my religion teacher who studied theology in college, once said "some of you might be atheists and think I'm full of crap and that's fine".

So when I come on here and see people who have family members who don't like them because they are atheists, or complaining about some dumbass fundamentalist, I just can't understand it. I am of course assuming all of these cases are people in America. I wonder if it just seems worse than it is because all people who are oppressed by religion flock onto the forum.

Is it really as bad as it seems?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Magoo's post
22-03-2014, 06:30 PM
RE: I just can't understand religion in America
There's definitely a religious/ideological rift here in America, yes. I'll have to watch what I say a lot more now as an agnostic/atheist than I had to while being a Christian.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
22-03-2014, 06:35 PM
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Magoo Wrote:  The threads in this forum section really blow my mind. I'm from Ireland, and despite 85% of Irish people being catholic, it is nothing compared to the things I read here.

For example, who actually is a creationist is the 21st fucking century? If you said you were a creationist in Ireland you would be laughed at. Literally no one is a creationist here. Then I come on here and I see some people talking about how they met some creationist and had an argument with them. Okay, most people in America are not actually creationists, but to think that it is even a topic to be discussed baffles me.

Or people having to "come out" about their atheism. I mean, what? Why is this even an issue?

Or even small things like having a debate with a Christian about religion. I have never even heard a debate about religion. I look at the front of the newspaper each day and I see nothing about religion. The most I have ever heard about religion on the radio was when the new pope was chosen, and that was about it.

My school is a fairly religious school, but there are no issues at all. If you are an atheist, nobody gives a shit. Most schools have religion exams, but they are about knowledge of religions. My school doesn't even examine religion. I do have religion class, but it is only used for topics like alcohol, proper contraception, trips out of school to help homeless, etc. We do have mass once or twice a year for Ash Wednesday. However in the morning prayer group for lent nobody turned up. If we never had any religious things going on, nobody would complain, we are all just happy to miss a few classes for it. Even my religion teacher who studied theology in college, once said "some of you might be atheists and think I'm full of crap and that's fine".

So when I come on here and see people who have family members who don't like them because they are atheists, or complaining about some dumbass fundamentalist, I just can't understand it. I am of course assuming all of these cases are people in America. I wonder if it just seems worse than it is because all people who are oppressed by religion flock onto the forum.

In order to get beligion in the US you have to know about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fundamentals
It's a key. Bart Ehrman says that "if only the public in the pews knew what was being taught in the academic centers, they would not believe it". (Intro to "Jesus Interrupted"). The main source most Americans have (for anything) is Hollywood.
Just like science, (the US is like 32nd in the world with respect to public science knowledge), almost no one actually knows much about religion, its origins, and
mythological origins. They go to "Bible College" where they teach NOTHING except bullshit literal Fundamentalism.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-03-2014, 06:36 PM
And it's not just religion in America...it's different in different regions. I grew up Catholic in a very Catholic area of the midwest. Boy did moving to the deep south show me some shocking things with regard to religion...it's a whole other world there.

I am still amazed by the things some people believe.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
22-03-2014, 06:43 PM
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Magoo Wrote:  The threads in this forum section really blow my mind. I'm from Ireland, and despite 85% of Irish people being catholic, it is nothing compared to the things I read here.

It's not bad in the cities, but if you live in a rural area, especially in the "Bible Belt", you'll be treated like you're some kind of evil demon for being atheist.

I would like to move to Ireland in the near future, it's just hard to find work. I have a lot of friends there and really do miss it. Sad

Tóg go bog é Smile

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Bucky Ball Wrote:They go to "Bible College" where they teach NOTHING except bullshit literal Fundamentalism.

This is exactly what I was wondering. How are such things even legal? Absolutely insane.
[+] 2 users Like Magoo's post
22-03-2014, 06:58 PM
(22-03-2014 06:53 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
Bucky Ball Wrote:They go to "Bible College" where they teach NOTHING except bullshit literal Fundamentalism.

This is exactly what I was wondering. How are such things even legal? Absolutely insane.

They skirt the law by not being accredited.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-03-2014, 07:00 PM
(22-03-2014 06:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And it's not just religion in America...it's different in different regions. I grew up Catholic in a very Catholic area of the midwest. Boy did moving to the deep south show me some shocking things with regard to religion...it's a whole other world there.

What is the difference between the south and everywhere else? All I hear is they were pro-slavery way back during the civil war.
22-03-2014, 07:10 PM
(22-03-2014 07:00 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And it's not just religion in America...it's different in different regions. I grew up Catholic in a very Catholic area of the midwest. Boy did moving to the deep south show me some shocking things with regard to religion...it's a whole other world there.

What is the difference between the south and everywhere else? All I hear is they were pro-slavery way back during the civil war.

The south in America is very religion centered. Lots of churches, lots of offshoots of those churches, lots of 'praise god' talk and prayer over everything. It's where you tend to find the ones that speak in tongues and handle snakes. Church is hours long on Sunday as well as on Wednesdays. The south is the place of tent revivals and traveling preachers - hellfire and brimstone.

So very different from the pomp of the Catholic mass that I grew up with.

It's hard to explain. I think it was mentioned earlier but it's often more rural and historically less educated. I know that it was a culture shock for me as church and religion really wasn't that big a deal where I grew up, even with being a Catholic school kid. I was even more surprised that there was a mission to save my soul because I was raised Catholic. Some sects looked at Catholics as being as bad as Satanists...who knew?

It was surprising to me that a normal greeting upon meeting someone included them asking what church you belonged to...that's how important it is.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
22-03-2014, 07:43 PM
(22-03-2014 07:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 07:00 PM)Magoo Wrote:  What is the difference between the south and everywhere else? All I hear is they were pro-slavery way back during the civil war.

The south in America is very religion centered. Lots of churches, lots of offshoots of those churches, lots of 'praise god' talk and prayer over everything. It's where you tend to find the ones that speak in tongues and handle snakes. Church is hours long on Sunday as well as on Wednesdays. The south is the place of tent revivals and traveling preachers - hellfire and brimstone.

So very different from the pomp of the Catholic mass that I grew up with.

It's hard to explain. I think it was mentioned earlier but it's often more rural and historically less educated. I know that it was a culture shock for me as church and religion really wasn't that big a deal where I grew up, even with being a Catholic school kid. I was even more surprised that there was a mission to save my soul because I was raised Catholic. Some sects looked at Catholics as being as bad as Satanists...who knew?

It was surprising to me that a normal greeting upon meeting someone included them asking what church you belonged to...that's how important it is.

The US is batshit crazy when it comes to religion! Really off their rocker! They don't just believe quietly like Europeans, but they mention it every other sentence, constantly praise the lord and have the weirdest cults pass as religion.

Couldn't be any crazier!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man