I just can't understand religion in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: I just can't understand religion in America
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Magoo Wrote:  The threads in this forum section really blow my mind. I'm from Ireland, and despite 85% of Irish people being catholic, it is nothing compared to the things I read here.

For example, who actually is a creationist is the 21st fucking century? If you said you were a creationist in Ireland you would be laughed at. Literally no one is a creationist here. Then I come on here and I see some people talking about how they met some creationist and had an argument with them. Okay, most people in America are not actually creationists, but to think that it is even a topic to be discussed baffles me.

Or people having to "come out" about their atheism. I mean, what? Why is this even an issue?

Or even small things like having a debate with a Christian about religion. I have never even heard a debate about religion. I look at the front of the newspaper each day and I see nothing about religion. The most I have ever heard about religion on the radio was when the new pope was chosen, and that was about it.

My school is a fairly religious school, but there are no issues at all. If you are an atheist, nobody gives a shit. Most schools have religion exams, but they are about knowledge of religions. My school doesn't even examine religion. I do have religion class, but it is only used for topics like alcohol, proper contraception, trips out of school to help homeless, etc. We do have mass once or twice a year for Ash Wednesday. However in the morning prayer group for lent nobody turned up. If we never had any religious things going on, nobody would complain, we are all just happy to miss a few classes for it. Even my religion teacher who studied theology in college, once said "some of you might be atheists and think I'm full of crap and that's fine".

So when I come on here and see people who have family members who don't like them because they are atheists, or complaining about some dumbass fundamentalist, I just can't understand it. I am of course assuming all of these cases are people in America. I wonder if it just seems worse than it is because all people who are oppressed by religion flock onto the forum.

Is it really as bad as it seems?

Am I the only one who read this and thought, "What about the Protestant-Catholic Troubles that ended in the late '90s but still causes problems?"

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
23-03-2014, 05:37 AM
(22-03-2014 08:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:17 PM)Magoo Wrote:  The threads in this forum section really blow my mind. I'm from Ireland, and despite 85% of Irish people being catholic, it is nothing compared to the things I read here.

For example, who actually is a creationist is the 21st fucking century? If you said you were a creationist in Ireland you would be laughed at. Literally no one is a creationist here. Then I come on here and I see some people talking about how they met some creationist and had an argument with them. Okay, most people in America are not actually creationists, but to think that it is even a topic to be discussed baffles me.

Or people having to "come out" about their atheism. I mean, what? Why is this even an issue?

Or even small things like having a debate with a Christian about religion. I have never even heard a debate about religion. I look at the front of the newspaper each day and I see nothing about religion. The most I have ever heard about religion on the radio was when the new pope was chosen, and that was about it.

My school is a fairly religious school, but there are no issues at all. If you are an atheist, nobody gives a shit. Most schools have religion exams, but they are about knowledge of religions. My school doesn't even examine religion. I do have religion class, but it is only used for topics like alcohol, proper contraception, trips out of school to help homeless, etc. We do have mass once or twice a year for Ash Wednesday. However in the morning prayer group for lent nobody turned up. If we never had any religious things going on, nobody would complain, we are all just happy to miss a few classes for it. Even my religion teacher who studied theology in college, once said "some of you might be atheists and think I'm full of crap and that's fine".

So when I come on here and see people who have family members who don't like them because they are atheists, or complaining about some dumbass fundamentalist, I just can't understand it. I am of course assuming all of these cases are people in America. I wonder if it just seems worse than it is because all people who are oppressed by religion flock onto the forum.

Is it really as bad as it seems?

Am I the only one who read this and thought, "What about the Protestant-Catholic Troubles that ended in the late '90s but still causes problems?"

That is different. That was in the north of Ireland which is part of the uk. It was more than just a religious thing. Irish nationalists, almost always catholic, who wanted to join a united ireland, fought against the Protestant unionists who wanted to stay with the uk. It wasn't just a random fight between the two because they didn't like each other.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Magoo's post
23-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Well, lets put it this way;

The county I live in, in west central Florida is 773.15 sq.miles, or 2,002.4 KM, and has 225 churches, mainly Protestant, but we have all including the JW kingdom hall.

These places are mainly huge buildings with even bigger parking lots than the Walmart store, sundays they will have the cars spilling out onto the roadways due to overflow crowds.

Police sit in the roads directing traffic when services get out at most churches.

Fuckers cant drive either.......guess they just got to much of the fuckin holy spirit. Unsure

And this place isnt bad compared to a lot of the southern states. Confused

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
23-03-2014, 06:59 AM
The hellfire and brimstone described earlier in the south is one thing, but the modern Christian in America follows one of many these guys who have thousands of followers
[Image: olsteen-auditorium-screen-slide.jpg]

Heard a news report that someone stole the weekend offering at Joel Osteen, it was $600,000.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-03-2014, 07:46 AM
(23-03-2014 06:59 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  The hellfire and brimstone described earlier in the south is one thing, but the modern Christian in America follows one of many these guys who have thousands of followers
[Image: olsteen-auditorium-screen-slide.jpg]

Heard a news report that someone stole the weekend offering at Joel Osteen, it was $600,000.

Yep, posted it about a week ago.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...MegaChurch

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
23-03-2014, 07:49 AM
That photo is a weekly service, not a special event.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-03-2014, 07:54 AM
(23-03-2014 07:49 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  That photo is a weekly service, not a special event.

Which is why they had 600K sitting around from the collections of just one weekend... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
23-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Here's the deal Magoo.

You have to keep in mind that after Virginia, the US colonies (and by extension the country) were established by the weirdo religious freaks of Europe who had to deal with oppression in their own countries that was so bad they were driven out.

So this has been a BIG deal since the inception of the country. Starting with the Puritans, one group after another has come to the US looking for the freedom to practice their religion free of persecution (and also to persecute those who don't agree with their religion.)

It was such a big deal to them they wrote "Congress shall make no law" establishing a religion right there in the 1st Amendment of the Constitution! So it was a biggie.

As you can imagine, these weirdoes had kids that they indoctrinated with their weirdo ideas and it just continued on and on through the history of the colonies/country.

This land was so filled with weird religious types that by the early 17th c. we had a Great Awakening to spin off a bunch of weird religious sects just because we could. Jonathan Edwards (a preacher from that period) even had a famous sermon called "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." As you can imagine, that really packed them in. The Baptist Church (these are the ones who eventually became the Evangelicals) really took off during this period.

And if that wasn't enough, there was a 2nd Great Awakening in the early 1800's that brought us the Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists and Shakers (yes, they shook--and were celibate!)

The Mormons believe that if you leave the church you are keeping your family from being a Forever Family in heaven and so this explains why some wouldn't talk to their family if they became atheist. My point is that in America, Religion has always been a big deal and if you reject the religion of your family, people take it as a personal affront.

By the way, the first 2 Great Awakenings weren't enough. We've been having them ever since and the last one gave rise to the TV Evangelist movement we see culminating with Joel Osteen.

Yes, you're right, the Southerners were big supporters of slavery right up until the Civil War. In fact, it was the reason for the Civil War as the entire economy of the South (or at least the personal economies of the leaders in the individual state legislatures) was dependent on cash crops.

Because the South had arable farmland and crappy ports, cities were not established, the South remained rural and there were no cutting edge scholarly types in those small Southern cities. We all know cities are where the good ideas are established and fester.

If your Catholic school is actually teaching appropriate birth control in RELIGION class it is teaching something that is completely at odds with what the Vatican has established as Catholic doctrine. I find it very surprising that the priest in charge of the school or the bishop of your diocese is allowing that! Wow!
23-03-2014, 08:01 AM
(23-03-2014 06:50 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Well, lets put it this way;

The county I live in, in west central Florida is 773.15 sq.miles, or 2,002.4 KM, and has 225 churches, mainly Protestant, but we have all including the JW kingdom hall.

These places are mainly huge buildings with even bigger parking lots than the Walmart store, sundays they will have the cars spilling out onto the roadways due to overflow crowds.

Police sit in the roads directing traffic when services get out at most churches.

Fuckers cant drive either.......guess they just got to much of the fuckin holy spirit. Unsure

And this place isnt bad compared to a lot of the southern states. Confused

Pinellas?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2014, 08:15 AM
(23-03-2014 08:01 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Pinellas?

Citrus Sadcryface

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.