I just don't understand how this is possible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2018, 05:30 PM
I just don't understand how this is possible
I grew up in a very Religious Protestant household and a few years ago I just took a step back and said that this entire religion thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Ever since I've been Atheist and I have had little problem deny the existence of a god and all that. Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain.

This is what appeared on the front patio (It has since faded away):
[Image: FpFPjAx]

Now from what I understand this only happens if a object had been setting on the concrete for months or years, which was not the case as there was never a cross shaped object at that spot. I also know this is not a fake picture as I remember seeing the image on the concrete myself. So I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows how the heck this could be possible because it is nearly driving me crazy trying to figure it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Blaze75's post
25-01-2018, 07:07 PM
RE: I just don't understand how this is possible
(25-01-2018 05:30 PM)Blaze75 Wrote:  Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain.

Fixed the image for you.

[Image: FpFPjAx.jpg]

I don't know why that happened because I wasn't there. There could be any number of reasons.

What it isn't is a particularly persuasive sign from The AllMighty. Seriously? He's the Creator of the universe and the best that He can manage is a vague image in the concrete or a cheese sandwich? That's a pretty sad little miracle. I'm not sure I'd want to worship something that I'm so tempted to laugh at.

And doesn't it strike you as peculiar that he uses the image of a brutal torture device to make his presence known?

Quote:So I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows how the heck this could be possible because it is nearly driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

"I don't know." is a perfectly good and honest answer.

Simple explanations include vandalism by neighbours who knew your family was extremely religious or a hoax by a family member. Give me a few minutes with a toothbrush and baking soda and I could make that image no problem.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 13 users Like Paleophyte's post
25-01-2018, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2018 11:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-01-2018 05:30 PM)Blaze75 Wrote:  I grew up in a very Religious Protestant household and a few years ago I just took a step back and said that this entire religion thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Ever since I've been Atheist and I have had little problem deny the existence of a god and all that. Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain.

Now from what I understand this only happens if a object had been setting on the concrete for months or years, which was not the case as there was never a cross shaped object at that spot. I also know this is not a fake picture as I remember seeing the image on the concrete myself. So I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows how the heck this could be possible because it is nearly driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

It's tawooo. It's all tawooo.

This IS possible cuz it's easier to do a Patio Miracle™ than save 1,000,000 babies from dying of thirst and starvation last year. It's the JLEMP.
Jesus Least Effective Miracle Principle.
Do the least effective miracle possible to get them to buy the shit, and let it go at that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-01-2018, 07:20 PM
I'd expect any number of things could be spilled and discolor the surface like that. It looks like something leaked from one or more items that were sitting there even briefly.

If the best sign the creator of the universe can do is create a vague, stylized cross image on a random patio that then fades away then he should go back to appearing on toast. As miracles go, it's pretty pathetic and I think there's more pareidolia than portent involved.

At best you have something that you don't have an explanation for. Jumping to "god" is no better than assuming an alien ship must have landed there. Even a practical joke is a more likely explanation since we have evidence that practical jokes occur.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-01-2018, 07:55 PM

First, crucifixion was a common practice back in Jesus' day, so really it could be any number of the many people the Romans crucified who left that cross on your patio. Why give all the credit to Jesus? Wink Obviously, I'm teasing you here, but also pointing out that Jesus wasn't really all that unique for the goings on of the time. Neither were his miracles. Miracles were plentiful during that time period--it was kind of the thing to do. Jesus just won out in terms of being a religious figurehead.

Now back to your cross. Any number of things could have left that imagery and created the appearance of a cross. And as others have mentioned, vandalism-always a possibility. Or maybe even someone in your family or a neighbor playing a joke. Also, items can create a cross-like appearance and they don't need to be sitting out there for years to do it.

Because we are pattern makers via evolution, it's not that hard to see an object and identify it as a, b, or c. The problem with pattern making is that a, b, or c are not always the right answer as our brains often misinterpret things. So really, the cross that you saw could very well be two objects laid in such a way that only gave the *appearance* of a cross. For example, what if there were two bricks with junk on them, placed in such a way haphazardly that gave the appearance of a cross when moved. Your brain then registers that as a cross, when in reality it's just the haphazard placement of bricks that made a print and it had nothing to do with an actual cross.

Also which makes more logical sense to you in terms of the possibility of the creation of the "cross": An invisible magical sky genie was doing chalk drawings on your patio to show you he exists OR your brain made an incorrect pattern left by two random objects, it was a joke played by a family member, vandalism, so on and so forth...
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
25-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Hi I am new here also so nice to meet you all.

This COULD be caused by differing materials placed in the liquid concrete to make this happen or something placed in it later. Changes in humidity and temperature may make this happen or that pattern appear.
25-01-2018, 09:08 PM
(25-01-2018 05:30 PM)Blaze75 Wrote:  Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain...

You don't need to "explain" it to yourself—or your parents. I could reproduce that image in about 15 seconds with a bit of wood, or a paper template, plus a spray-can of cooking oil.

And remember that something that's not immediately explicable or obvious does not = God.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
25-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Just because a person can't (doesn't) understand how something is possible doesn't mean that the answer is god.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
26-01-2018, 12:02 AM
(25-01-2018 07:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(25-01-2018 05:30 PM)Blaze75 Wrote:  Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain.

Fixed the image for you.

I don't know why that happened because I wasn't there. There could be any number of reasons.

What it isn't is a particularly persuasive sign from The AllMighty. Seriously? He's the Creator of the universe and the best that He can manage is a vague image in the concrete or a cheese sandwich? That's a pretty sad little miracle. I'm not sure I'd want to worship something that I'm so tempted to laugh at.

And doesn't it strike you as peculiar that he uses the image of a brutal torture device to make his presence known?

Quote:So I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows how the heck this could be possible because it is nearly driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Simple explanations include vandalism by neighbors who knew your family was extremely religious or a hoax by a family member. Give me a few minutes with a toothbrush and baking soda and I could make that image no problem.

Thanks for fixing the image, also I wouldn't put it past my mother doing this. At the time she was going through this very strange extremely religious episode, and she had also just found out I was atheist and she was probably just trying to convince me otherwise. But who knows as obviously, she will never tell me if she did it.
[+] 5 users Like Blaze75's post
26-01-2018, 12:09 AM
(26-01-2018 12:02 AM)Blaze75 Wrote:  
(25-01-2018 07:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Fixed the image for you.

Simple explanations include vandalism by neighbors who knew your family was extremely religious or a hoax by a family member. Give me a few minutes with a toothbrush and baking soda and I could make that image no problem.

Thanks for fixing the image, also I wouldn't put it past my mother doing this. At the time she was going through this very strange extremely religious episode, and she had also just found out I was atheist and she was probably just trying to convince me otherwise. But who knows as obviously, she will never tell me if she did it.

Right and that is another problem with those who market Jesus. Subterfuge, sophistry, specious logic, and con games.