I just don't understand how this is possible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2018, 08:30 AM
RE: I just don't understand how this is possible
I'd guess that your parents did it.
Because there son is a godless heathen.
I would have recoiled in horror while hissing like a vampire.
That would really set them off.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like BikerDude's post
26-01-2018, 06:29 PM
(25-01-2018 05:30 PM)Blaze75 Wrote:  I grew up in a very Religious Protestant household and a few years ago I just took a step back and said that this entire religion thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Ever since I've been Atheist and I have had little problem deny the existence of a god and all that. Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain.

This is what appeared on the front patio (It has since faded away):
[Image: FpFPjAx]

Now from what I understand this only happens if a object had been setting on the concrete for months or years, which was not the case as there was never a cross shaped object at that spot. I also know this is not a fake picture as I remember seeing the image on the concrete myself. So I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows how the heck this could be possible because it is nearly driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Don't feel bad; it's not just Protestants. Catholics are continually finding the image of the Blessed Virgin everywhere -- in grilled cheese sandwiches, tacos, pizzas, pee-stained walls in alleys, odd reflections is windows, etc. It's just the human brain attempting to make sense out of random data.

I once witnessed an entire lawn full of dandelions turn in to a writhing field of snakes. Of course, that might have been the acid . . . Consider

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
26-01-2018, 06:44 PM
(26-01-2018 12:02 AM)Blaze75 Wrote:  
(25-01-2018 07:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Fixed the image for you.

[Image: FpFPjAx.jpg]

I don't know why that happened because I wasn't there. There could be any number of reasons.

What it isn't is a particularly persuasive sign from The AllMighty. Seriously? He's the Creator of the universe and the best that He can manage is a vague image in the concrete or a cheese sandwich? That's a pretty sad little miracle. I'm not sure I'd want to worship something that I'm so tempted to laugh at.

And doesn't it strike you as peculiar that he uses the image of a brutal torture device to make his presence known?

"I don't know." is a perfectly good and honest answer.

Simple explanations include vandalism by neighbors who knew your family was extremely religious or a hoax by a family member. Give me a few minutes with a toothbrush and baking soda and I could make that image no problem.

Thanks for fixing the image, also I wouldn't put it past my mother doing this. At the time she was going through this very strange extremely religious episode, and she had also just found out I was atheist and she was probably just trying to convince me otherwise. But who knows as obviously, she will never tell me if she did it.

Well, there ya go. Idea Yes Smartass

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Welcome to our community.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't faked in some way, lying for jebus is a thing.

It happens a lot here with certain theist types who tell all sorts of unbelievable lies to try to convince us they know the true truth™.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-01-2018, 09:35 AM
(25-01-2018 05:30 PM)Blaze75 Wrote:  I grew up in a very Religious Protestant household and a few years ago I just took a step back and said that this entire religion thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Ever since I've been Atheist and I have had little problem deny the existence of a god and all that. Recently me and my parents get into an argument about religion and they pointed out this thing that happened out on our patio four years ago that they claim was a sign from god that I just can't explain.

This is what appeared on the front patio (It has since faded away):
[Image: FpFPjAx]

Now from what I understand this only happens if a object had been setting on the concrete for months or years, which was not the case as there was never a cross shaped object at that spot. I also know this is not a fake picture as I remember seeing the image on the concrete myself. So I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows how the heck this could be possible because it is nearly driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

It looks like something sat on the concrete for a while and left that image. I would look around the house for an object with that shape to see if it was weathered from being outside. There's your explanation, something with that shape sat for a while at that spot.

Looky here- a cross-shaped planter:

[Image: plant-frames.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
27-01-2018, 10:40 AM
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dream't of in your philosophy. Angel

Banksy

Dodgy Laughat

You are welcome. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-01-2018, 11:22 AM
When I was asking god for evidence many years ago, I asked him for a sign, any sign to help me keep believing.

I found a 6 leafed (leaved?) clover a few minutes later, I thought that was my sign.

Sometime later I realized that it was only a sign of Monsanto, as my father had seeded the field with genetically modified clover & alfalfa to increase the nutrient value of the hay. There were probably millions of 6 leafed, 5 leafed, 4 leafed clovers in that field.

You can only start looking at the improbable answers after you have already ruled out the more likely ones.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
27-01-2018, 06:39 PM
It's called Pareidolia. It's works the same way you see shapes in clouds. Or faces in strange places.

Cloudzilla
[Image: pareidolia-cloudzilla-l.jpg]

Stone faced
[Image: stonefaces6.jpg]

I would think that if a god, let alone Jesus wanted to reach out it would be in a much more miraculous way. Not a smudge on a side walk or burnt piece of toast. To me it seems very underwhelming. But it is pretty astounding that our brains can create connections to shapes like that.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Plato
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
27-01-2018, 07:05 PM
(27-01-2018 06:39 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It's called Pareidolia. It's works the same way you see shapes in clouds. Or faces in strange places.

Cloudzilla
[Image: pareidolia-cloudzilla-l.jpg]

Stone faced
[Image: stonefaces6.jpg]

I would think that if a god, let alone Jesus wanted to reach out it would be in a much more miraculous way. Not a smudge on a side walk or burnt piece of toast. To me it seems very underwhelming. But it is pretty astounding that our brains can create connections to shapes like that.

Cloudzilla is very cool! Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-01-2018, 03:49 AM
It sounds like most of the Lord's wondrous signs:

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aractus's post