I just dont understand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Sad I just dont understand
I dont understand why bad things happen to good people. I know life is random but it bothers me that bad things happen. There was a kid being hit at the store just for wanting candy and it makes me feel bad even though i dont know the kid. Then theres kids that are abused and then theres people who lose others to death then theres others that get cancer and die. But then there is people who are rude and live life as lairs and abusers and nothing happens. I just dont understand. I wish i could take those pains away from people and give it to the evil people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ducky_Van_Octi's post
11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
RE: I just dont understand
The older you get the more you will see the injustice. Life is unfair. All you can do is be good to the people you touch. Make it a point to show love to everyone. Live as if it is your last day. Then think what would people say about me now I am gone. If you have been kind to everyone and forgave people for stupid things, you have it down right. I try to do that every day. DON'T GOSSIP!!
11-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi Ducky. I think NEOhioAtheist has it right in part. He has correctly identified, I think, that your thread title is imprecise... you actually do understand but you perceive and abhor injustice. However, I disagree that ALL you can do is be good to the people you touch... that is the LEAST we should do.

You wish to take those pains away from people and give it to the evil people. Can your wish come true? I think so... in part. Here's how...
Change the culture!
Culture (rules, morality, ethics, zeitgeist, whatever) like everything else, evolves slowly over time.
Taking pain away: Well, this is the essence of Buddhism so this idea has been around since the fat dude sat under his tree 2,500 years ago. It has been modified (evolved) through the years to ideas of Utilitarianism (Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill) and Consequentialism (Sam Harris includes himself here) so we have the twin focus on minimum pain for all and maximum pleasure. This gets us into difficult areas concerning "the greater good" and indeed the more general problems of ethics in that we behave differently in different holistic scenarios (holistic in the sense of holism) i.e. would I kill to ensure my genes are passed on, no, would I kill to defend my family, yes, would I kill for my religion, no, would I kill for my football team, no, would I kill for my country, um, maybe, would I kill for my ideals and values, urm, perhaps if threatened. Similarly, would I die for etc etc..

Giving it to evil people: You are wishing for a form of natural justice which sadly does not exist. But you don't need to look far to find societies that have attempted to create their own justice systems. There are wishful-thinking Xians with their invention of "For your sins you will burn in hell" or the imperfect secular version of crime and punishment.
The Xian proposition works (for believers) as a deterrent in that it imposes morality through authority, from a divine being (or rather, it does not work if you consider the millennium of slaughter in the name of their god(s)). The secular version works also as a deterrent but has the added quality that it can be modified through consensus.

This may seem like I am saying that we should call the police each time we see a child being cuffed for asking for sweets. I'm not. But there are degrees of abuse and no doubt we would all have different but similar views of the threshold i.e. if I see a child getting punched (I hope my sense of justice would override my risk assessment (regarding possible harm to myself and/or any of my loved ones who might be with me) to cause me to intervene.

So in short, for your wish to come true you need to get involved and take a stand which is more than the "golden rule" view of doing unto others etc.

That stand can be passive (voting) active/passive (starting this thread on this website to raise awareness; or calling the police so they can be active) or active (campaigning against injustice).

For some there is a mix e.g. Jessica Ahlquist (16 year old, Rhode Island, prayer mural) who started by simply supporting another lady's complaint and speaking at a meeting. When she did that she did not expect to become a lauded speaker at the forthcoming Reason Rally, I'll bet.

Choose your battles, assess your risks and stick to your values. Let your values be influenced by future knowledge and wisdom.

The purpose of life is to pass on your DNA (Darwin)
The meaning of life is the experience of living (Frank Herbert)
The value of life is the legacy we leave behind (DLJ)

Cheers
DLJ
11-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I see what you are saying. I am planning to.be a social worker for the warefare of children. I know if i want to make a change i need to be involed.
[+] 1 user Likes Ducky_Van_Octi's post
11-02-2012, 11:32 PM
(11-02-2012 11:20 PM)Ducky_Van_Octi Wrote:  I see what you are saying. I am planning to.be a social worker for the warefare of children. I know if i want to make a change i need to be involed.

I think you have the right attributes. Good luck on your journey
Cheers
DLJ