I just had a Religious Experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 12:49 PM
I just had a Religious Experience
Heya,

I had what one might almost label a religious experience that I though some might appreciate hearing - especially anyone from a Pentecostal or similar background.

So last night I was watching TV, The Strain, and it had this old classic song - Misty Blue. For some reason it stirred some emotion in me, but as I was watching with others I suppressed it at the time.

Well this morning, I looked up the song on you tube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMONGMDEerI , and just listened to it on some good can headphones. I allowed the emotions to go as they wished and I swear I was a hair from speaking in tongues! The intensity was every bit as strong and wonderful as anything I remember experiencing in my many years in Pentecost.

I mention it as at least for me, and maybe others, speaking in tongues was something that I used to believe "proved" God (and why I stayed in as long as I did despite questioning during my teen years) and so to have the experience in a completely non religious setting was kind of neat. Perhaps it is a personal and practical example of what I've read about when analyzing what Speaking in Tongues really is - that is typically (at least at the beginning) occurs in an extremely emotional charged setting.

Or maybe I 'm just nutz, hopefully a bit more rational then I used to be, but still nutz! Drooling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jayc's post
30-09-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: I just had a Religious Experience
I also get an intense experience whenever I hear ZZ Top's "Velcro Fly". For some odd reason I get an erection stiff enough to play the bass line of the song with.....

It's almost religious though.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-10-2015, 04:59 AM
No argument from me. I'd say the experience is now better as most of my religious or even just life experinces had a sizable element of fear . Nice now to just enjoy the moment...
09-10-2015, 05:12 AM
I'm from a Pentecostal background and yeah, when I began speaking in tongues it was an emotionally contrived experience while listening to emotional gospel music.

Emotions of course pass and your left with this manifestation of speaking in tongues. You can take a dump while speaking in tongues, you can say fucking goddammit! - and then speak in tongues, you can doubt the veracity of the bible and speak in tongues, you can doubt the existence of god and still speak in tongues, you can turn your back on all of this false nonsense and walk into one of these churches and still speak in tongues.

There's absolutely nothing to it and I've personally experienced, just like you, what a sham the whole thing is.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-10-2015, 05:36 AM
It's just the music. Music has the ability to bring one to tears of joy.

There is evidence for music too. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
09-10-2015, 05:58 AM
The only good thing to ever come out of religion is the music. --- George Carlin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-10-2015, 05:59 AM
You "proved" chemical context. It's one thing for a bunch of atheists say it's chemicals in the brain, the individual coming to self-realization is better.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-10-2015, 09:22 AM
I, like The Inquisition, am also from a Pentecostal background. I emerged out of that cult scared and scarred. Even though that was 13 years ago, I continued in Christianity up until completely deconverting about a year ago. I highlight that background because it makes what I'm about to say that much more prominent. I can still, to this day, can speak in tongues and have an emotionally induced drug-like experience. You are correct in that it is an emotionally charged experience. In the church I grew up in if someone experienced a similar experience of the HG "outside of god" the back story was that in Eternity past satan had stolen certain powers from god so that he could use those tools to deceive people on earth. Having a "hair raising" "drug like" state of being that wasn't centered on god was simply satan deceiving you. Ummmm...ya. No. Dodgy

The following link provides some interesting info on the connection to the brain:

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/brain.html

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 4 users Like Tonechaser77's post
09-10-2015, 09:28 AM
(09-10-2015 05:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The only good thing to ever come out of religion is the music. --- George Carlin

And the architecture ...

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post
09-10-2015, 09:46 AM
(09-10-2015 09:22 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I, like The Inquisition, am also from a Pentecostal background. I emerged out of that cult scared and scarred. Even though that was 13 years ago, I continued in Christianity up until completely deconverting about a year ago. I highlight that background because it makes what I'm about to say that much more prominent. I can still, to this day, can speak in tongues and have an emotionally induced drug-like experience. You are correct in that it is an emotionally charged experience. In the church I grew up in if someone experienced a similar experience of the HG "outside of god" the back story was that in Eternity past satan had stolen certain powers from god so that he could use those tools to deceive people on earth. Having a "hair raising" "drug like" state of being that wasn't centered on god was simply satan deceiving you. Ummmm...ya. No. Dodgy

The following link provides some interesting info on the connection to the brain:

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/brain.html

Interesting, indeed. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the link!