I just need to vent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 09:48 PM
I just need to vent
I live in Mississippi. If you have seen the news recently, my state (as well as neighboring ones) have been decimated by tornadoes. I personally know people whose house was destroyed. It's a very sad situation for those affected, and I was very lucky to get through it unscathed.

However, as you might expect, at times like this - especially in the Bible Belt - the praise to Jesus/God is in overdrive now. It would be a douche bag move on my part to mock these expressions now when people truly are hurting. But, I can't let some of there statements go unchallenged. So, I came here to do that.

"God is good always." (From a person whose home was destroyed) - It seems to me if god were really good, he would have eliminated natural disasters from his grand design (or did Eve eating the apple cause them?)

"I'm convinced only one thing saved me/my wife/my kids/my parents: Jesus" - As of now 53 people were killed. What did Jesus have against them?

"I don't know how anyone can get through something like this without Jesus." - Probably the same way you can get through it without Zeus or Ra.

I hope I don't come across as unsympathetic. As I said, it could have been me. But GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like oneboredmartian's post
29-04-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: I just need to vent
Yes that can be rather annoying.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
29-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that man. Definantly glad you're safe! And don't worry about venting. I firmly believe a good vent is healthy Thumbsup

May be a bit off topic but I'm reminded of Joplin. I was fortunate enough to not be living there when it happened and even more fortunate that the friends I had were alright. But driving through that town. Damn, so damn depressing. And it did get annoying. Partly because EVERYONE kept talking about it, even months later (which, granted, seeing that some parts of the town/people are still recovering from it I can't say much but it's still annoying to have it everywhere after a while) and the religious people. In particular I remember that there was a giant wooden cross that remained standing after the tornado laid on the church it called home. That wooden cross was on pictures, t-shirts, everywhere. A sign from God! Joplin be blessed! Even though your God damn well destroyed a chunk of your town, destroyed your hospital and killed a decent amount of your population, praise Jesus!

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
29-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Between tornadoes, Katrina, and the Deep Horizon oil spoil, I don't get why God is so damn popular here.
[+] 6 users Like oneboredmartian's post
02-05-2014, 10:37 AM
There was a time when people had root cellars which provided safety during a tornado. It always amazes me how people can praise their god for being good amidst so much destruction and death. And these same people have no idea of how stupid they sound when they mention this. Many will say "thank god" because it's become a popular euphemism that has lost it's religious connotation.
02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
the give it up for jesus nuts always amuse me. Like that lady recently in the news that was wrongfully imprisoned for like 28 years....first thing she said was thank you jesus, I knew god would hear and answer my prayers...yes, it just took 28 years...Facepalm

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Martian, we are far more compassionate than the god of the bible.

I watched a video recently of a couple men who risked their lives to help a deer who fell through the ice, on a frozen lake, and couldn't get out. It took them a very long time, but they would not give up. Humans = 1 God = 0

No matter the outcome, god always gets the credit. It's creepy how they all say the same phrases, time after time too!

I live near Cleveland where those 3 girls were held prisoner for 10 years. I could not believe the people who gave god, not the girls, credit for them surviving and getting free. Where was this god while those sweet girls were being raped, beaten, and abused for 10 long years?

I think you have every right to be angry, but I understand you being careful what you say.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like CindysRain's post
03-05-2014, 04:54 AM
(02-05-2014 10:18 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Martian, we are far more compassionate than the god of the bible.

I watched a video recently of a couple men who risked their lives to help a deer who fell through the ice, on a frozen lake, and couldn't get out. It took them a very long time, but they would not give up. Humans = 1 God = 0

No matter the outcome, god always gets the credit. It's creepy how they all say the same phrases, time after time too!

I live near Cleveland where those 3 girls were held prisoner for 10 years. I could not believe the people who gave god, not the girls, credit for them surviving and getting free. Where was this god while those sweet girls were being raped, beaten, and abused for 10 long years?

I think you have every right to be angry, but I understand you being careful what you say.

That is another great example I use often; those three women tortured for 11 years...where was god, I am sure they uttered quite a few prayers daily..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
03-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Thread moved from the Personal Issues and Support section.

03-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Tell them they need to pray more.

Ask them what is so special about them that god spared them - what are they going to do to prove to the world that they are special?

Ask them what has happened to all the other special people who were spared by the grace of god in the tornadoes last year, and the years before - what's happened to them - have you heard anything from them that demonstrates that god did the right thing, or are they a burden on society, now???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool