I just need to vent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 08:36 AM
RE: I just need to vent
(04-05-2014 08:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Oh really you dumb fuck? You pick your words more carefully? Or do you really mean that you just try to hide your bigotry and intolerance behind your Bible so you don't have to take credit for being an asshole?

I believe you value the short time you have here on this earth. I believe you believe that it is all you have and that when your time has come, it will all end.

I believe you cherish every moment as best as you know how by doing what you love to do. If you find meaning in your life by speaking to people you disagree with in the manner that you do, I will not try to persuade you to do otherwise. I believe you possess the capacity to choose how you spend your time and respect that choice. I disagree with many of your views but nevertheless respect you as a person.

This is what it means to be tolerant essentially.

You have an issue with Christianity. This is evident. I know you will deal with this in your own way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 08:37 AM
(04-05-2014 08:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 07:18 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...
Many who think like you see the word as synonymous with "acceptance", but it simply is not.

I know no one who uses that incorrect interpretation.

Please provide references or shall we just put that one down as a man of straw.

One thing I am very careful about is making sure that I do not assume that I know the beliefs, traditions, understanding or knowledge of those with whom I converse.

I am curious as to why you do not afford us the same courtesy.

Perhaps you are buying into the worldview-fallacy?

Is a protective mechanism? Projection perhaps? What do you think?

Consider

Evolution Kills uses it.
04-05-2014, 08:58 AM
(04-05-2014 08:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...
Evolution Kills uses it.

You referred to 'many'. Please clarify.

Thanks.

04-05-2014, 10:20 AM
(03-05-2014 05:15 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  I just explained it, but you didn't understand it.

We have cognitive skills that aid in survival - religion and belief in gods are not among those skills.

They are the result of those otherwise useful skills resulting in false positive firings, e.g. seeing patterns in clouds or storms, seeing intentionality in earthquakes.

Belief in God either aids in our survival or it does not. You have stated it indeed does. How this is so is moot to my question.

I asked why do atheists not get mad when they hear of a camel conserving vital resources in their humps, but get mad when they hear of homo sapiens believing in God, both of which are simply accounts of a species using what it has to help it survive.

I haven't read through the whole thread so someone may have replied to your question. One of the main reasons atheists get angry about belief in god is because those who don't believe in this "coping mechanism" have been torchered, jailed and murdered in the name of god or denied other freedoms. Yes in the past it probably has aided in survival because no one knew any better, but science has far surpassed religion in making life longer and healthier. Technology has saved many, many millions of lives over the past century and made life bearable to a far greater extent than religion ever could.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-05-2014, 11:11 AM
The amount of ad hominem on this forum and the sheer arrogance and superiority complex in some of these posts is deplorable. At worst, Jeremy has been guilty of implying negative qualities to atheist in a general way, and some of his arguments are very poorly formed, but beyond that he has been very even and respectful in all of his responses. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't give you license to insult them or call them an idiot. After all, what would this forum be without apologists to discuss with? Just a big, pro atheist circle jerk that's what.

This is the thinking atheist web forum. Emphasis on thinking. When you insult someone you have effectively turned of your brain, and you have made it exceptionally difficult for the person being insulted to consider any of your arguments. This doesn't apply to everybody here, but to all whom it does apply; grow up. Seriously. This is ridiculous.

Ok, back on topic then. Jeremy, in another posts I made the point that theist often selective interpret the bible. For example, the condemnation of homosexuals is part of the christian ideology, but parts about beating slaves and killing adulterers is not. Can you explain that? Also, just because I am curious, where else other than Leviticus does the bible mention homosexuality?
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
04-05-2014, 12:11 PM
(04-05-2014 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I haven't read through the whole thread so someone may have replied to your question. One of the main reasons atheists get angry about belief in god is because those who don't believe in this "coping mechanism" have been torchered, jailed and murdered in the name of god or denied other freedoms.
Like the black Americans, atheists construct a culture of rebellion, instead of a culture of trust and autonomy.

(04-05-2014 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yes in the past it probably has aided in survival because no one knew any better, but science has far surpassed religion in making life longer and healthier. Technology has saved many, many millions of lives over the past century and made life bearable to a far greater extent than religion ever could.
That is true, but you still need trust and cooperation to organize community; and religions still have that, and atheists, and blacks, remain dependent, because they trust their perceived oppressors more than they trust each other; and that creates an inconsistency in reasoning and leads to anger and discontent.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
04-05-2014, 12:21 PM
To the OP: Yes I understand your frustration. It's perfectly normal. It's the exact same frustration that is experienced when a friend keeps getting beaten up by their spouse and they say "But I know he/she loves me". God keeps using them as a punching bag and they keep singing his praises. The trick in this case is that you can't advise against this spouse. Yeah, I'd need to vent too.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
04-05-2014, 12:26 PM
(04-05-2014 08:36 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 08:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Oh really you dumb fuck? You pick your words more carefully? Or do you really mean that you just try to hide your bigotry and intolerance behind your Bible so you don't have to take credit for being an asshole?

I believe you value the short time you have here on this earth. I believe you believe that it is all you have and that when your time has come, it will all end.

I believe you cherish every moment as best as you know how by doing what you love to do. If you find meaning in your life by speaking to people you disagree with in the manner that you do, I will not try to persuade you to do otherwise. I believe you possess the capacity to choose how you spend your time and respect that choice. I disagree with many of your views but nevertheless respect you as a person.

This is what it means to be tolerant essentially.

You have an issue with Christianity. This is evident. I know you will deal with this in your own way.

Ashley Williams Wrote:Why is it whenever someone says "with all due respect", they really mean "kiss my ass"?

I am tolerant, you just don't seem to get it. I can tolerate a lot; but 'tolerance' is not a blank check to allow racists, bigots, homophobes, facists, and religious zealots to get away with whatever they wanted under the guise of egalitarianism and equality. I can respect your right to hold your own opinion, and that is in no way violated when I criticise it and call it a bunch of patriarchal mythological bullshit. You are entitled to be an ignorant fuck, and I'll tolerate your ignorance so long as it doesn't interfere with others; but extending you tolerance does not mean that I will stop calling out bullshit when I see it. Tolerance does not exempt your backwards bronze age world view from being criticized.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-05-2014, 12:26 PM
(04-05-2014 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 08:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ...
Evolution Kills uses it.

You referred to 'many'. Please clarify.

Thanks.

Every atheist I have heard speak of the issue on television has spoken of tolerance in such a way as to see it as being synonymous with acceptance. Agnostics as well. In fact I will even say most of the atheists I have spoken with in the past several years about the issue have seen tolerance as synonynous with acceptance. Out of the roughly two hundred I have spoken with, roughly two thirds have spoken of tolerance as being synonymous with acceptance and those are just the ones I have dialogued with online.
04-05-2014, 12:32 PM
(04-05-2014 10:20 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:15 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Belief in God either aids in our survival or it does not. You have stated it indeed does. How this is so is moot to my question.

I asked why do atheists not get mad when they hear of a camel conserving vital resources in their humps, but get mad when they hear of homo sapiens believing in God, both of which are simply accounts of a species using what it has to help it survive.

I haven't read through the whole thread so someone may have replied to your question. One of the main reasons atheists get angry about belief in god is because those who don't believe in this "coping mechanism" have been torchered, jailed and murdered in the name of god or denied other freedoms. Yes in the past it probably has aided in survival because no one knew any better, but science has far surpassed religion in making life longer and healthier. Technology has saved many, many millions of lives over the past century and made life bearable to a far greater extent than religion ever could.

So what people have been killed for not believing in God (speaking as one who adheres to naturalism). If you are consistent you must see this as nothing more than creatures acting according to the dictates of their genes. The homo sapien species contains humans who do certain things because they are what they are by virtue of their physiological makeup. You do not get angry when lions destroy the carcass of a zebra do you?