I just need to vent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 04:57 PM by Jeremy E Walker.)
RE: I just need to vent
(02-05-2014 10:18 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  Martian, we are far more compassionate than the god of the bible.

I watched a video recently of a couple men who risked their lives to help a deer who fell through the ice, on a frozen lake, and couldn't get out. It took them a very long time, but they would not give up. Humans = 1 God = 0

No matter the outcome, god always gets the credit. It's creepy how they all say the same phrases, time after time too!

I live near Cleveland where those 3 girls were held prisoner for 10 years. I could not believe the people who gave god, not the girls, credit for them surviving and getting free. Where was this god while those sweet girls were being raped, beaten, and abused for 10 long years?

I think you have every right to be angry, but I understand you being careful what you say.

Your reply pretty much sums up the sentiment of those here so as a Christian I would like to address it.

To begin with, it is commonly held that belief in God is little more than a coping mechanism homo sapiens possess by virtue of it facilitating and aiding in our survival as a species. It is said that such belief has helped homo sapiens endure and cope with hard circumstances and situations during the course of our evolution.

Kind of like how bears hibernate in the winter, a snake sheds its skin, or a caterpillar turning into a butterfly and various other aspects of evolution that all aid and facilitate in the survival of a species. It is said that beliefs in God when it comes to homo sapiens are no different. They aid homo sapiens in evolving, that is it.

Now, for all of those who see belief in God to be nothing more than a socio-biological mechanism that aids in our survival, please explain to me why you are so angry when you hear about this mechanism in action?

Do you all also rant and rave and vent about accounts of bears hibernating?

Or when you read about snakes shedding their skin or camels conserving vital resources in their humps, do you make a beeline to this forum to vent about such things?

After watching a show on animal planet, do you call your friends up and vent to them about the audacity of the blowfish when it puffs itself up to ward off predators?

Shocking

Rolleyes

Why is no one venting and angry about these things? Why is it that the only by-product of the evolutionary process that gets attention from atheists is the socio-biological coping mechanism of belief in God?

It seems that many of you should be angry at evolution and nature for what you see in cases like the one mentioned by the OP.

If I were an atheist and believed that belief in God was merely a coping mechanism essential to our survival as a species, I would be happy to see these people saying these things because it would be proof to me that our socio-biological processes were alive and well and helping us to cope and endure and survive.

I would be happy to see my fellow homo sapiens rallying together under one common bond and rising above their calamities and circumstances to survive and carry on their genes.

What do you all have against evolution?

Or maybe it is not evolution you have a problem with at all.......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 04:52 PM
(03-05-2014 04:13 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's no harder than reading about Sisyphus or Achilles. It's myth - why would it be hard?

It seems it would be hard for the person I addressed the reply to based on the things said person wrote in their post.

I was not addressing what I said to you.

This is a forum. I get to comment. Don't like it? Leave.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 04:54 PM
(03-05-2014 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 04:13 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  It seems it would be hard for the person I addressed the reply to based on the things said person wrote in their post.

I was not addressing what I said to you.

This is a forum. I get to comment. Don't like it? Leave.

I enjoy it very much. So I will not be leaving anytime soon.

I just said that what I stated was not addressed to you. Drinking Beverage
03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
(03-05-2014 04:52 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Your reply pretty much sums up the sentiment of those here so as a Christian I would like to address it.

To begin with, it is commonly held that belief in God is little more than a coping mechanism homo sapiens possess by virtue of it facilitating and aiding in our survival as a species. It is said that such belief has helped homo sapiens endure and cope with hard circumstances and situations during the course of our evolution.

No, it isn't. It is commonly thought by evolutionary biologists that belief in gods, spirits, demons, etc. is a misfiring of brain functions that do aid in survival, like pattern recognition, intentionality, and others.
Quote:What do you all have against evolution?

You are the one who has introduced evolution - no one here has a problem with it.

03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
(03-05-2014 05:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it isn't. It is commonly thought by evolutionary biologists that belief in gods, spirits, demons, etc. is a misfiring of brain functions that do aid in survival, like pattern recognition, intentionality, and others.

Well, these beliefs aid in survival. They help us as a species to survive. And have been selected on this basis of usefulness.

But I do not see atheists here angry when they hear of how camels can conserve vital resources in their humps when going for days without a source of water.

I want someone to explain this to me.
03-05-2014, 05:09 PM
(03-05-2014 05:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it isn't. It is commonly thought by evolutionary biologists that belief in gods, spirits, demons, etc. is a misfiring of brain functions that do aid in survival, like pattern recognition, intentionality, and others.

Well, these beliefs aid in survival. They help us as a species to survive. And have been selected on this basis of usefulness.

But I do not see atheists here angry when they hear of how camels can conserve vital resources in their humps when going for days without a source of water.

I just explained it, but you didn't understand it.

We have cognitive skills that aid in survival - religion and belief in gods are not among those skills.

They are the result of those otherwise useful skills resulting in false positive firings, e.g. seeing patterns in clouds or storms, seeing intentionality in earthquakes.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2014, 05:15 PM
(03-05-2014 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Well, these beliefs aid in survival. They help us as a species to survive. And have been selected on this basis of usefulness.

I just explained it, but you didn't understand it.

We have cognitive skills that aid in survival - religion and belief in gods are not among those skills.

They are the result of those otherwise useful skills resulting in false positive firings, e.g. seeing patterns in clouds or storms, seeing intentionality in earthquakes.

Belief in God either aids in our survival or it does not. You have stated it indeed does. How this is so is moot to my question.

I asked why do atheists not get mad when they hear of a camel conserving vital resources in their humps, but get mad when they hear of homo sapiens believing in God, both of which are simply accounts of a species using what it has to help it survive.
03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
(03-05-2014 05:15 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  I just explained it, but you didn't understand it.

Belief in God either aids in our survival or it does not. You have stated it indeed does. How this is so is moot to my question.

I asked why do atheists not get mad when they hear of a camel conserving vital resources in their humps, but get mad when they hear of homo sapiens believing in God, both of which are simply accounts of a species using what it has to help it survive.

No, you really just don't get it. It didn't aid in our survival, the traits that DID aid in our survival were centered around pattern detection and interpreting intentions in external sources. Those tendencies helped us in surviving the hostile environment we developed in. The SPECIFIC belief about gods which came about BECAUSE of these traits of ours DID NOT directly benefit our survival. Not everything that derived from those useful traits was in itself useful, but the traits I mentioned WERE useful as A WHOLE. Some of the products that were created though as a result of those traits, however, were misfires as Chas said.

And considering how much difficulty you are having understanding this simple concept, I've already lost interest in dialoguing with you.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
03-05-2014, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 05:56 PM by Jeremy E Walker.)
(03-05-2014 05:23 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 05:15 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Belief in God either aids in our survival or it does not. You have stated it indeed does. How this is so is moot to my question.

No, you really just don't get it. It didn't aid in our survival, the traits that DID aid in our survival were centered around pattern detection and interpreting intentions in external sources. Those tendencies helped us in surviving the hostile environment we developed in. The SPECIFIC belief about gods which came about BECAUSE of these traits of ours DID NOT directly benefit our survival. Not everything that derived from those useful traits was in itself useful, but the traits I mentioned WERE useful as A WHOLE. Some of the products that were created though as a result of those traits, however, were misfires as Chas said.

And considering how much difficulty you are having understanding this simple concept, I've already lost interest in dialoguing with you.

Nice, and even if I agreed, your point is moot.

For the homo sapiens in question, their belief in God helps them cope and survive. Period.

Now, since this is so, explain to me why you or any other homo sapien here who is angry at these people can be angry at them for utilizing something that helps them to survive and reproduce when you do not get angry at the camel for utilizing something that helps it survive and reproduce.

Why the disparity?

Homo sapiens exist to reproduce and pass on their genes. Period. By virtue of the natural processes acting on matter in this universe, reality is what it is. Whatever we are, we owe to this one fact:

By virtue of the natural processes acting on matter, we have come to think we know that we exist to survive and reproduce. We adapt, we change, we survive, we reproduce.

The end.

Now tell me, how you, a homo sapien can look at another homo sapien and be angry at them for living and reproducing in accordance with their physiological makeup determined solely by the evolutionary processes at work in this universe.