I just need to vent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 08:00 PM
RE: I just need to vent
(03-05-2014 07:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:48 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  The belief that sex outside marriage is wrong comes to mind Shy
[Image: 120530.jpg]

[Image: popper.jpg]

Satisfied? Tongue

Since science has no stock at all in determining what is "right" or "wrong", you will have to do better.

You seem to know, so I'll ask: What is "wrong"?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 08:07 PM
(03-05-2014 08:00 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Since science has no stock at all in determining what is "right" or "wrong", you will have to do better.

You seem to know, so I'll ask: What is "wrong"?

Sex outside of the bounds of a heterosexual marriage is wrong.

That is an example.

What is wrong is anything that is a violation or a deviation from the moral commandments given to men by God.

Not honoring one's parents is wrong for example. Lusting after a woman or man in one's heart is wrong.

Failing to honor God is wrong.

Worshiping idols is wrong.

I can list more if you like.

Not loving one's neighbor as one's self is wrong.

Discriminating against someone with evil intentions is wrong...etc. etc.
03-05-2014, 08:13 PM
(03-05-2014 08:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:00 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  You seem to know, so I'll ask: What is "wrong"?

Sex outside of the bounds of a heterosexual marriage is wrong.

That is an example.

What is wrong is anything that is a violation or a deviation from the moral commandments given to men by God.

Not honoring one's parents is wrong for example. Lusting after a woman or man in one's heart is wrong.

Failing to honor God is wrong.

Worshiping idols is wrong.

I can list more if you like.

Not loving one's neighbor as one's self is wrong.

Discriminating against someone with evil intentions is wrong...etc. etc.

You're wrong Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
03-05-2014, 08:16 PM
(03-05-2014 08:13 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  You're wrong Drinking Beverage

If you had a spouse, would you think I had done something wrong if I seduced your spouse into having sex with me?
03-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Sorry, but over here "vent" is a euphemism for "fart"...

Excuse me while I chuckle immaturely.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
(03-05-2014 06:59 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 06:18 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  Except that it doesn't. Period.

It does not help YOU cope. But it helps millions cope, survive and reproduce.

(03-05-2014 06:18 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  People survive "acts of god" through either their own physical or mental strengths or through the assistance of. social mechanisms, which actually can be bolstered by religion but do not require it. Belief itself has no practical outcome.

Once again this applies to you and those who deny God. Belief in God has helped millions cope, survive and reproduce.

This does not mean God exists. It means that belief in God has helped millions cope, survive and reproduce.

And since this is a simple fact the same way that camels utilize their humps to conserve water in order to survive and reproduce, criticizing the homo sapien for believing in God in order to cope and not criticizing the camel for what it does is inconsistent.

You are comparing theology to evolutionary adaptation. The analogy breaks down after a point. The camel evolved the hump to store water, true. Camels are born with a hump on their back, but people are not born with faith in god. Camel's cannot change their physical characteristic, they cannot remove their hump if it suits them, but people can either invest or divest in God as it pleases them.

Also, you are going to need to justify the claim that religion has aided people in surviving and reproducing. Given religions stance on sex and its perpencity for holy wars and inquisitions, you could successfully argue that religion has impeded man in both aspects.

Also, the evolutionary analogy you are making is a double edged sword. If people "evolved' to believe, they could over the course of time evolve not to believe. Indeed given how much more we know about our world then peoples who lived only a few hundred years ago, it would seem that religions role in peoples lives is analogous to to the tails and horns our most distant genetic ancestors had.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
03-05-2014, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 08:36 PM by TheGulegon.)
(03-05-2014 08:16 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

If you had a spouse, would you think I had done something wrong if I seduced your spouse into having sex with me?

You asked the wrong person that Laugh out load
Naw. If I had one she'd seduce you Tongue and it'd be cool! Shy
FYI, might want to grease your butthole, first [Image: smiley-laughing001.gif]

03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
(03-05-2014 08:16 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

You don't seduce spouses. They aren't children. They choose willingly to give themselves to you or they don't.
03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
(03-05-2014 05:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  For the homo sapiens in question, their belief in God helps them cope and survive. Period.

Provide evidence of that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
(03-05-2014 04:52 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To begin with, it is commonly held that belief in God is little more than a coping mechanism homo sapiens possess by virtue of it facilitating and aiding in our survival as a species. It is said that such belief has helped homo sapiens endure and cope with hard circumstances and situations during the course of our evolution.

Kind of like how bears hibernate in the winter, a snake sheds its skin, or a caterpillar turning into a butterfly and various other aspects of evolution that all aid and facilitate in the survival of a species. It is said that beliefs in God when it comes to homo sapiens are no different. They aid homo sapiens in evolving, that is it.

Now, for all of those who see belief in God to be nothing more than a socio-biological mechanism that aids in our survival, please explain to me why you are so angry when you hear about this mechanism in action?

Do you all also rant and rave and vent about accounts of bears hibernating?

Or when you read about snakes shedding their skin or camels conserving vital resources in their humps, do you make a beeline to this forum to vent about such things?

After watching a show on animal planet, do you call your friends up and vent to them about the audacity of the blowfish when it puffs itself up to ward off predators?

Shocking

Rolleyes

Why is no one venting and angry about these things? Why is it that the only by-product of the evolutionary process that gets attention from atheists is the socio-biological coping mechanism of belief in God?

It seems that many of you should be angry at evolution and nature for what you see in cases like the one mentioned by the OP.

If I were an atheist and believed that belief in God was merely a coping mechanism essential to our survival as a species, I would be happy to see these people saying these things because it would be proof to me that our socio-biological processes were alive and well and helping us to cope and endure and survive.

I would be happy to see my fellow homo sapiens rallying together under one common bond and rising above their calamities and circumstances to survive and carry on their genes.

What do you all have against evolution?

Or maybe it is not evolution you have a problem with at all.......
I see you took Strawman 101. Nobody cares about people believing in an imaginary sky daddy either. It's what they do with that belief that creates the problem. I don't see anyone trying to pass laws against gay marriage based on bears hibernating. I don't see anyone knocking on my door to convince me that snakes shed skin. And I don't see buildings being blown up or woman being abused over anything to do with camels. In fact, I don't see YOU posting on the bear hibernation forum. Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post