I just need to vent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
RE: I just need to vent
(03-05-2014 08:47 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 04:52 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To begin with, it is commonly held that belief in God is little more than a coping mechanism homo sapiens possess by virtue of it facilitating and aiding in our survival as a species. It is said that such belief has helped homo sapiens endure and cope with hard circumstances and situations during the course of our evolution.

Kind of like how bears hibernate in the winter, a snake sheds its skin, or a caterpillar turning into a butterfly and various other aspects of evolution that all aid and facilitate in the survival of a species. It is said that beliefs in God when it comes to homo sapiens are no different. They aid homo sapiens in evolving, that is it.

Now, for all of those who see belief in God to be nothing more than a socio-biological mechanism that aids in our survival, please explain to me why you are so angry when you hear about this mechanism in action?

Do you all also rant and rave and vent about accounts of bears hibernating?

Or when you read about snakes shedding their skin or camels conserving vital resources in their humps, do you make a beeline to this forum to vent about such things?

After watching a show on animal planet, do you call your friends up and vent to them about the audacity of the blowfish when it puffs itself up to ward off predators?

Shocking

Rolleyes

Why is no one venting and angry about these things? Why is it that the only by-product of the evolutionary process that gets attention from atheists is the socio-biological coping mechanism of belief in God?

It seems that many of you should be angry at evolution and nature for what you see in cases like the one mentioned by the OP.

If I were an atheist and believed that belief in God was merely a coping mechanism essential to our survival as a species, I would be happy to see these people saying these things because it would be proof to me that our socio-biological processes were alive and well and helping us to cope and endure and survive.

I would be happy to see my fellow homo sapiens rallying together under one common bond and rising above their calamities and circumstances to survive and carry on their genes.

What do you all have against evolution?

Or maybe it is not evolution you have a problem with at all.......
I see you took Strawman 101. Nobody cares about people believing in an imaginary sky daddy either. It's what they do with that belief that creates the problem. I don't see anyone trying to pass laws against gay marriage based on bears hibernating. I don't see anyone knocking on my door to convince me that snakes shed skin. And I don't see buildings being blown up or woman being abused over anything to do with camels. In fact, I don't see YOU posting on the bear hibernation forum. Consider

Women are not to be abused?

Is this your opinion like saying pizza is not to be eaten because it is nasty?

Or are you saying that women are not to be abused is something that is true like 2+2 is 4?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 08:57 PM
(03-05-2014 08:26 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:16 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you had a spouse, would you think I had done something wrong if I seduced your spouse into having sex with me?

You don't seduce spouses. They aren't children. They choose willingly to give themselves to you or they don't.

If a man raped your child or a loved one of yours, would you think he had done something wrong?
03-05-2014, 08:58 PM
(03-05-2014 08:25 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:16 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you had a spouse, would you think I had done something wrong if I seduced your spouse into having sex with me?

You asked the wrong person that Laugh out load
Naw. If I had one she'd seduce you Tongue and it'd be cool! Shy
FYI, might want to grease your butthole, first [Image: smiley-laughing001.gif]

If a man raped your spouse, would think he had done something wrong?
03-05-2014, 09:04 PM
(03-05-2014 08:56 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:47 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I see you took Strawman 101. Nobody cares about people believing in an imaginary sky daddy either. It's what they do with that belief that creates the problem. I don't see anyone trying to pass laws against gay marriage based on bears hibernating. I don't see anyone knocking on my door to convince me that snakes shed skin. And I don't see buildings being blown up or woman being abused over anything to do with camels. In fact, I don't see YOU posting on the bear hibernation forum. Consider

Women are not to be abused?

Is this your opinion like saying pizza is not to be eaten because it is nasty?

Or are you saying that women are not to be abused is something that is true like 2+2 is 4?
Changing the subject again?

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
03-05-2014, 09:07 PM
(03-05-2014 08:57 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:26 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  You don't seduce spouses. They aren't children. They choose willingly to give themselves to you or they don't.

If a man raped your child or a loved one of yours, would you think he had done something wrong?

Of course, but you are going to have to elaborate on that. I suspect that you are of the opinion that morality comes from God. I am of the opinion that morality is subjective; build upon consensus, practical proscription, and empathy. If you are a member of NAMBLA maybe you object to the child rape for different reasons, or not at all. If you are poly-amorous, then adultery would be foreign to you. Any objectionable act or moral wrong doing has had been permitted in some culture in history under some contexts before, making morality far from rigid and certainly not divine.
03-05-2014, 09:08 PM
(03-05-2014 08:58 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 08:25 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  You asked the wrong person that Laugh out load
Naw. If I had one she'd seduce you Tongue and it'd be cool! Shy
FYI, might want to grease your butthole, first [Image: smiley-laughing001.gif]

If a man raped your spouse, would think he had done something wrong?

Most definitely! And since the bible condones rape, it's wrong too Shy
Probably why more rapes per capita take place in the bible belt than in other regions of the U.S. Wink

03-05-2014, 09:10 PM
(03-05-2014 09:07 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Of course,

Why?

You are just a man. Who died and made you God to determine what another person is right or wrong in doing. Who are you to say someone is wrong for doing something if they want to do it?

You sound like a meddlesome Christian always sticking their nose where it does not belong.
03-05-2014, 09:11 PM
(03-05-2014 09:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Most definitely!

Why?

Who died and made you God to decide what another person's actions are?

he wanted to rape and get pleasure. who are you to deny him his rights. He chooses how he wants to live and what is right for him and meaningful. how dare you judge him?
03-05-2014, 09:23 PM
(03-05-2014 09:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:07 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Of course,

Why?

You are just a man. Who died and made you God to determine what another person is right or wrong in doing. Who are you to say someone is wrong for doing something if they want to do it?

You sound like a meddlesome Christian always sticking their nose where it does not belong.

Your not making an argument, you are being deliberately inflammatory and provocative. I'm not angry, its just intellectually frustrating because I can't discern anything of value from that post.
03-05-2014, 09:30 PM
(03-05-2014 09:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 09:08 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Most definitely!

Why?

Who died and made you God to decide what another person's actions are?

he wanted to rape and get pleasure. who are you to deny him his rights. He chooses how he wants to live and what is right for him and meaningful. how dare you judge him?

If what you're doing causes someone to feel mental or physical pain, or actual damage of either type, you are wrong. No ifs, ands, or butts Wink

Everyone who's ever lived has died, duh Rolleyes None of them made me a deity, as those things, including whichever invisible sky daddy you happen to subscribe to, don't really exist anywhere except inside your deluded mind Shy

She wants and enjoys the experience; it's not rape. She doesn't; then it's rape. He wanted pleasure, she probably didn't, silly Rolleyes He has a right to do whatever he wants, right up until he causes mental and physical pain, and damage to someone else with rights of their own. Who are you to grant him the boon of his rights trumping hers? Smile

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post