I just read the L. Krauss book "A Universe from Nothing"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 08:21 AM
RE: I just read the L. Krauss book "A Universe from Nothing"
(I didn't know if I can edit my last reply so I just made a new one)

Here's a quote from Steven Weinberg on the nature of the uncertainty principle.

If the reader is mystified at what Heisenberg was doing, he or she is not alone. I have tried several times to read the paper that Heisenberg wrote on returning from Heligoland, and, although I think I understand quantum mechanics, I have never understood Heisenberg’s motivations for the mathematical steps in his paper. Theoretical physicists in their most successful work tend to play one of two roles: they are either sages or magicians … It is usually not difficult to understand the papers of sage-physicists, but the papers of magician-physicists are often incomprehensible. In that sense, Heisenberg’s 1925 paper was pure magic - Steven Weinberg

Anyways the book A Quantum Universe has an entire section dedicated to explaining the Uncertianty Principle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 08:42 AM
(19-03-2012 05:43 PM)JFReyes Wrote:  I decided to spawn a new thread as my old one I'm not an atheist but am fed up with the BS of organized religion kept being sidetracked by posters with personal feuds and nonsense not related to the original subject; bottom line I didn't get many suggestions.

Thanks @DLJ for recommending the book; it was a very good read. It refreshed my mind about stuff I've kept track of for a long time through news and articles, but had not seen in a single reference for a while.

I understand and agree with most of it except the part about the electron-positron pair arising out of empty space and being unmeasurable due to the Heisenberg principle - I think it's a cop out. Had the author expressed it was a gut feeling or a speculation I would have swallowed it hook, line and sinker (I think that's the expression :-) But no, he says it's fact. He knows a lot more about physics than me, but I'm not completely ignorant and I don't believe him because he doesn't provide credible evidence. And Heisenberg is not "gospel"...

To answer one of the previous posters who asked "But my biggest question, if you are thinking with a scientific mind, why do assume to fill the gaps rather than recognise them simply as gaps?" my answer is that though I consider many of them to be gaps, in general it makes me sleep well at night - I'm only human.

Another previous poster wrote "Beyond the sandwich nonsense, deism is a fine position as long as you understand it's a god of the gaps position without expecting others to believe it.". No problem, I don't expect anyone to believe anything I say in this regard.

Constructive remarks are welcome...

I agree that stating a theory as fact is not scientific at all. If he said it's as close to fact as we can get looking at the data, that's another thing.

Either way, I didn't do research into things until well after I was already an atheist. I didn't want to become one and didn't expect to become one,the idea that God was real just became false in my mind. I didn't even stop believing in an afterlife and the spiritual realm or anything else to do with religion (at the time), as I really didn't want to question anything, because I thought my belief in God would come back. After about 5 years of that, I no longer sought to return the idea to my head and started researching. I never really had a problem with religion and at the time would have considered myself still religious, just that I didn't believe in a god. It helped me a lot when I found out what the term for that was and was able to find like minded people.

If you want to research, don't ever expect to magically turn into an atheist. Either your mind will go that way or it won't. Oh, I would suggest Evid3nc3's videos. He's not done with the series, but they are interesting: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA...ature=plcp

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
20-03-2012, 09:28 AM
(20-03-2012 08:42 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  Oh, I would suggest Evid3nc3's videos. He's not done with the series, but they are interesting: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA...ature=plcp

Them's good vids. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user