Poll: What do you think the object was?
Something you know (please explain)
Impossible to tell, due to vague description.
Could be anything, there's a plenty of things in the sky like that.
Extraterrestrials.
These choices are a fallacy of false dichotomy.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
I just saw a UFO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 02:16 PM
I just saw a UFO
Yep, I did. I was on the comp and then I heard my mom calling. She sleeps on the roof on this summer night under the starry sky. Her hobby is astronomy and she likes to watch all the familiar constellations.

But there was an object that didn't fit. It was a white light,
- large as Venus
- twice as bright as Arcturus (which is one of the brighter stars on the sky) or any other star.
- It moved slowly at constant pace, much slower than a satellite.
- It came from the west, from the sunset. It went straight next to Arcturus and then across the sky far beyond the other side of zenith.

At this point it got obscured by the roof, so she called me to look out of my roof window. I looked out and my sight was immediately fixed on that large and bright white star. Then I wasn't sure, did it move? I watched some more and yes, it slowly moved. After a while it actually speeded up!
As it speeded up, its brightness decreased and the pathway/speedup ratio seemed to curve a little, like maneuvering upwards in the atmosphere.
Eventually it darkened so much that just a barely brighter dot was visible against the sky and then it disappeared.

My mom wasn't sure if it was anything unusual, she saw it going at a constant rate, but I saw it speed up, gradually mute down the brightness and disappear. It looked pretty cool. It didn't disappear anywhere near horizon, far from it, close to me. The sky was clear.
There were two airplanes at the sky also, flying together. But they looked quite different, you know, the blinking colourful lights. That was a strong steady white light. It was much slower than a satellite. And I don't know what it was, no known explanation fits.
What does a rational person do in such a situation?

Well, that would be my fourth UFO sighting this year, but the first one at night. I must say, they look more impressive at night. What I saw thrice before in the day was just a silvery cigar-shaped object and faster than a jet plane, leaving no smoke trail. I know you know what I'm thinking. Don't worry, I don't believe in little grey or green men or reptilians. There's no way aliens could get to us through the light speed barrier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2012, 02:19 PM
RE: I just saw a UFO
[Image: Chinese-Lantern-Festival.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Red Celt's post
19-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh, you fucking did not. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-08-2012, 02:27 PM
(19-08-2012 02:20 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh, you fucking did not. Dodgy

If it is unidentified, flying... and an object, I'd argue that he did. Yes

The whole is-it-extraterrestrial is a different matter for debate. No
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
19-08-2012, 02:28 PM
I saw it too.

NASA is tracking it.

Last known location: somewhere near Bethlehem.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
19-08-2012, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 02:36 PM by Luminon.)
(19-08-2012 02:19 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  [Image: Chinese-Lantern-Festival.jpg]
Yep, people release these lanterns here on New Year celebrations if they want to save on fireworks. They're red or yellowish. What I saw was just like a star, completely white and without flickering, only brighter. And it sped up in the end. Weird. Theoretically it could be a lantern with a strong white LED light inside, but that wouldn't fly, no hot air. It wouldn't speed up and go out gradually.

(19-08-2012 02:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I saw it too.

NASA is tracking it.

Last known location: somewhere near Bethlehem.

Drinking Beverage
Took me a while to get it, but LOL Big Grin Thumbsup
19-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Planes don't always leave smoke trails.

Perception of speed and trajectory are easily distorted, especially when the blood begins to pump a teeny bit more quickly. And lights at night can help to distort perception even more than during the day.

Especially if it was a clear night, a local weather station may have released a weather balloon - they are often highly reflective and they are weighted with equipment. This can act as ballast which can cause the path of the balloon to appear as if it is deliberately being maneuver, while it is actually being carried by the upper wind streams.

But - whatever you saw WAS unidentified - by you, anyway. So, no need to completely discount your sighting, but reporting it to the local airport guys or military guys might be an interesting experience. Keep a log Lumi, and have fun with it. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
19-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Like this?

Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-08-2012, 03:08 PM
(19-08-2012 02:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Planes don't always leave smoke trails.
Yes, I know that. However during the last day sighting, the object was closely followed by two jet airplanes one behind the other who both did leave smoke trails and the object didn't. Also the object was a bit faster and outran them both. It was a wonderful opportunity to compare them. Subjectively, they seemed at the same altitude.

(19-08-2012 02:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Perception of speed and trajectory are easily distorted, especially when the blood begins to pump a teeny bit more quickly. And lights at night can help to distort perception even more than during the day.

Especially if it was a clear night, a local weather station may have released a weather balloon - they are often highly reflective and they are weighted with equipment. This can act as ballast which can cause the path of the balloon to appear as if it is deliberately being maneuver, while it is actually being carried by the upper wind streams.
I don't know anything about local weather stations, never heard of one or saw anything that belonged to them. But let's say it was a balloon. Could it fly slowly and regularly in a straight line and about the same altitude? What if eventually something that weighed it down got torn off and the balloon flew upwards? Then it hit some wind stream and speeded forward and up. Also it had some light source that went out gradually for some unfathomable technical reason. That might do the same effect, theoretically.

(19-08-2012 02:39 PM)kim Wrote:  But - whatever you saw WAS unidentified - by you, anyway. So, no need to completely discount your sighting, but reporting it to the local airport guys or military guys might be an interesting experience. Keep a log Lumi, and have fun with it. Thumbsup
You say there are people to which I can report such things? Why didn't I think of this before?
OK, there is a small civil airport about 50 km in western direction. There is a meteorologic crew in a big city north of the airport that might know something.
All right, it was at something before 22:00 and it flew from the west.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
19-08-2012, 03:19 PM
(19-08-2012 02:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Like this?

Drinking Beverage
Yes, but this one seems at much lower altitude. That's why it looks about twice as big and due to the bad video quality can't be compared to other stars.

Also, on Youtube there are many videos of different UFOs, more impressive than that. Glowing UFOs that change shape and color and even fly around or up and down. I haven't seen these yet. They only started appearing in last couple of years or so.