Poll: What do you think the object was?
Something you know (please explain)
Impossible to tell, due to vague description.
Could be anything, there's a plenty of things in the sky like that.
Extraterrestrials.
These choices are a fallacy of false dichotomy.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
I just saw a UFO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 10:21 AM
RE: I just saw a UFO
(29-08-2012 10:12 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  What about my incident? I verified with a witness, but no video. Ive never had other hallucinations and I'm not particularly into UFO culture or anything. Hmmm? Seriously, I don't know what to think about this and I realize it's a bit of a hearsay story.

It is hearsay, by definition.

However, you believe you saw something unusual.
You may well have seen something unusual.
What you saw, you cannot explain.

Now, if we stop there, it's all good.

We can hypothesize about what, if anything, you saw, but we have to question whether or not it was unusual or just unfamiliar to you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 10:46 AM
(29-08-2012 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  Now, if we stop there, it's all good.

Ohhhh! I pick up what you're saying! If I inquire a little more then green goblins will reign upon us, terrorizing our homes, killing first borns and demanding slavery of all. Eventually doom will overshadow our futures and there would be no hope for humankind.

So, don't stir the pot.

You're such a quack, Chas! That would never happen.
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 10:54 AM
(29-08-2012 10:46 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  Now, if we stop there, it's all good.

Ohhhh! I pick up what you're saying! If I inquire a little more then green goblins will reign upon us, terrorizing our homes, killing first borns and demanding slavery of all. Eventually doom will overshadow our futures and there would be no hope for humankind.

So, don't stir the pot.

You're such a quack, Chas! That would never happen.

No, not what I'm saying.
It's fine to inquire, to wonder, to hypothesize.
It's not fine to decide that it must be green goblins who will kidnap our children and perform experiments on them. Because they're grey. Nyaa, nyaa, nurny, nurny.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-08-2012, 11:20 AM
(29-08-2012 07:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Eyewitness testimony absent physical evidence just isn't worth much. The human mind is too easily fooled.

And believing something happened doesn't mean that it did happen.
Yes, eyewitness testimony isn't much to others. But I won't keep silent, the testimonies statistically add up maybe a thousand similar eyewitness testimonies might raise your eyebrow a little Smile

And just for the record, I don't believe because I don't even know what to believe unless I see it first. That's how I choose from the huge amount of beliefs out there.

(29-08-2012 06:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Hallucinations, for example, cannot be captured by a camera. If you were to provide us with a video, we would be able to exclude most influences caused by a distortion of your view. Next time you should carry a camera with you. Until then, your report is merely based on anecdotal evidence and possibly influenced by different factors.
Yeah, I see your point. Even shitty video is better than no video at all.

Just a while ago I saw a perfectly normal airplane in the sky, it had a typical pointy shape and had a short tail of condensated vapor, quickly dissolving. How do I know I didn't hallucinate it? Aren't hallucinations just side effects of some serious pathologic condition? So far, I never saw anything without a reason behind it. After all, I never hallucinated a green traffic light or a pretty face in a mirror Smile

OTOH, I'll have to record a normal airplane too, to see how does it look on my camera, if it's even visible at all. It's actually my first cell phone with a camera. I found it less than a year ago lying on the ground in a city, just like that, with almost no data inside, no hint to whom it might belong. (thanks Santa!) It has a 5 megapixel camera, last time I checked it wasn't a bad parameter.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user