I just won a scholarship

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2013 07:15 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I just won a scholarship
As some of you may know, I am currently majoring in anthropology with an emphasis on primate (including human) behavior and evolution. I originally majored in Chinese and art history before switching over to this. I originally dropped the Chinese because of funding issues, but, after picking up anthropology, I still kept the art history major as a backup. Well, it turns out this was a smart move because I was awarded a somewhat substantial art scholarship for having good grades. The art department chose 6 people to receive such scholarships. Five were studio art majors--i.e. those who work with paint, clay, and metal. I was the only art history major. I won't disclose the amount, but I'll just say it would be enough to cover most of my classes for a single semester (minus books and other fees). What's funny is that I had no idea that I was chosen. They apparently had an award ceremony and didn’t even think to invite me. I got an email the weekend after the event telling me that the “scholarship award packet” was waiting for me in the main office of the art building.

I’m a bit torn at the moment because I didn’t really intend on revisiting my art history major. This is more of an issue of time and cost than interest. Double majoring in art history and anthropology will only lengthen my time in school, as well as increase my debt (the army is only covering part of my tuition). But now it’s either return the money or jump back in. I feel returning it would disrespect the people who saw something special in me. But keeping it and not finishing my art history major would also disrespect them.

My primary expertise in art history is in religious art, specifically Buddhist and Hindu art. Although, I will say I have an intense interest in paleolithic art. Focusing on the latter would cross over into the archaeological realm, but I think I’m more interested in primates, though. Even if I decide to finish out my art history major, I’m still going to grad school for anthropology.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like ghostexorcist's post
15-05-2013, 11:37 AM
RE: I just won a scholarship
(15-05-2013 11:31 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  As some of you may know, I am currently majoring in anthropology with an emphasis on primate (including human) behavior and evolution. I originally majored in Chinese and art history before switching over to this. I originally dropped the Chinese because of funding issues, but, after picking up anthropology, I kept the art history major on the side just in case I ever wanted to return to it. Well, it turns out this was a smart move because I was awarded a somewhat substantial art scholarship for having good grades. The art department chose 6 people to receive such scholarships. Five were studio art majors--i.e. those who work with paint, clay, and metal. I was the only art history major. I won't disclose the amount, but I'll just say it would be enough to cover most of my classes for a single semester (minus books and other fees). What's funny is that I had no idea that I was chosen. They apparently had an award ceremony and didn’t even think to invite me. I got an email the weekend after the event telling me that the “scholarship award packet” was waiting for me in the main office of the art building.

I’m a bit torn at the moment because I didn’t really intend on revisiting my art history major. This is more of an issue of time and cost than interest. Double majoring in art history and anthropology will only lengthen my time in school, as well as increase my debt (the army is only covering part of my tuition). But now it’s either give the money back or jump back in. I feel returning it would disrespect the people who saw something special in me. But keeping it and not finishing my art history major would also disrespect them.

My primary expertise in art history is in religious art, specifically Buddhist and Hindu art. Although, I will say I have an intense interest in paleolithic art. Focusing on the latter would cross over into the archaeological realm, but I think I’m more interested in primates, though. Even if I decide to finish out my art history major, I’m still going to grad school for anthropology.

Returning the award would make it available for some other deserving person.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-05-2013, 11:40 AM
IMO, give it back. If you're worried about disrespecting them just remember, they didn't even invite you to your own reward ceremony... But I don't think it would disrespect them in the slightest anyway to turn it down. A sort of "thank you, I appreciate it, but no thank you" situation.
Not to mention that this is the time in your life where it's all about you you you, don't put yourself in more debt and take up more of your time trying to impress a bunch of people you will likely have nothing more to do with after university and whom have heaps and heaps of students pass through their doors anyway.

Turn it down, politely, and carry on with your plan.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I say take advantage of what you have been awarded and utilize it as best you can. I am sure other people would be more than willing to take the money, but that does not necessarily mean the department would actually redistribute it to anyone.

You want to go to grad school and you know what never looks bad? Scholarships won and projects related to your field that are interdisciplinary. You can sell you and your work as more than just anthropology-centered, you can present it as human-centered. As having a component of art to go along with it. Always up-sell yourself. When it comes to grad school, you are going to be competing for positions (paid if you are lucky) with other qualified applicants. What sets you apart in a positive way, will get you the position instead of your competition.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 12 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-05-2013, 12:15 PM
(15-05-2013 11:43 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I say take advantage of what you have been awarded and utilize it as best you can. I am sure other people would be more than willing to take the money, but that does not necessarily mean the department would actually redistribute it to anyone.

You want to go to grad school and you know what never looks bad? Scholarships won and projects related to your field that are interdisciplinary. You can sell you and your work as more than just anthropology-centered, you can present it as human-centered. As having a component of art to go along with it. Always up-sell yourself. When it comes to grad school, you are going to be competing for positions (paid if you are lucky) with other qualified applicants. What sets you apart in a positive way, will get you the position instead of your competition.

That is a nuanced and constructive reply. Kudos.Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I can indeed list the scholarship on my CV. I'm supposed to be talking with my archaeology professor about this sometime this week. I want to talk with the anthropology advisor too before he leaves for summer break. Paleoanthropology is a path open to me because I enjoy both bio and art.
15-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Either way you decide, from what I can gather you certainly are deserving!

Don't look at your education as a straight line, especially when something unexpected comes up...the surprise opportunity may just take you somewhere you didn't even think about before.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Congratulations! I'm hoping that they'll at least let you use the scholarship to get your liberal arts classes paid for. College is freakin' expensive---even if it's just a community college. I spent about $1000 of my own money to take classes at my local community college. The rest was paid for by the G.I. Bill.

(15-05-2013 11:31 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  As some of you may know, I am currently majoring in anthropology with an emphasis on primate (including human) behavior and evolution. I originally majored in Chinese and art history before switching over to this. I originally dropped the Chinese because of funding issues, but, after picking up anthropology, I kept the art history major on the side just in case I ever wanted to return to it. Well, it turns out this was a smart move because I was awarded a somewhat substantial art scholarship for having good grades. The art department chose 6 people to receive such scholarships. Five were studio art majors--i.e. those who work with paint, clay, and metal. I was the only art history major. I won't disclose the amount, but I'll just say it would be enough to cover most of my classes for a single semester (minus books and other fees). What's funny is that I had no idea that I was chosen. They apparently had an award ceremony and didn’t even think to invite me. I got an email the weekend after the event telling me that the “scholarship award packet” was waiting for me in the main office of the art building.

I’m a bit torn at the moment because I didn’t really intend on revisiting my art history major. This is more of an issue of time and cost than interest. Double majoring in art history and anthropology will only lengthen my time in school, as well as increase my debt (the army is only covering part of my tuition). But now it’s either give the money back or jump back in. I feel returning it would disrespect the people who saw something special in me. But keeping it and not finishing my art history major would also disrespect them.

17-05-2013, 10:26 AM
I just spoke with my anthropology advisor. He pretty much told me to keep the scholarship for my own purposes since there were no strings attached. I still have reservations about doing something like that, though. The good news is that I can finish off the anthropology major by the end of Spring 2014 and I will have military funding left over. The problem is I don't know if I have enough to cover the art history classes I have left. I'm going to contact one of my old art teachers, who is the art department advisor, about this.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
25-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I was just awarded another scholarship in the same amount as the last one. I'm still trying to figure out which department it was from.
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post