I kinda wanna talk about my being a fatass.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2017, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 07:41 AM by JesseB.)
I kinda wanna talk about my being a fatass.
Recently I've done a lot of research and found some fascinating stuff about how the body processes food. About hormones involved in weight gain/loss ect.

I've gone through dozens of reports, and studies, and really listened to my doctors who never seem willing to elaborate on the things they mention (which frustrates me to no end. I'm a nerd and I need real tangible data to feel comfortable if nothing else). While I've gone through tons of information, I want to go over a few main points, and thankfully I have found 3 video's that cover those points reasonably well I think. They will be attached below.

I learned about the chemical process the body uses to burn fat (you literally breath out fat as CO2 so the air you breath out is... the exhaust from burning the fuel that is your food/fat, quite fascinating really). Another interesting thing I learned is, eating fat won't make you any more/less fat than eating anything else. All food you put in your body has to go through the exact same changes to be used by your body, including fat. I say this is interesting because we were all lied to about low fat diets, my parents always told me that any fat you eat goes straight to your belly, which simply isn't true. In fact it was the shift away from eating fats, replacing those fats in our diet with bread (mainly) and carbs that caused the obesity epidemic we see today. Low fat diets made us fat lol go figure, and there was never any evidence suggesting a low fat diet was good for people when they started pushing it, it's just.... grain is cheaper to make than cows.

The disappointing thing I've learned about weight loss is, there's no fucking short cut. You burn 1/3 the energy when you sleep and about 3x the energy when you exercise (rough averages from a limited number of samples). And in a day you prolly burn about 1 candy bar worth of weight just sitting at rest (not including the weight you take on from eating). So exercising that same amount of time you'll burn about 3 candy bars a day, that's so fucking slow.... (cry). So eat less exercise more really is the way to do it, unfortunately. It's a game of commitment and endurance. I'll be honest, I was kinda looking for a science based short cut since all the info out there is pseudoscience bullshit.

However there is another component involved in weight loss and that's hormones, specifically one hormone. Insulin. This one is very important to me as I am Diabetic, and I've learned some fascinating things about this hormone, it's effects on the body and the ideal kind of diet for someone like me (technically it's pretty much the ideal diet for anyone but if you're not insulin resistant/diabetic you can eat any diet without much fuss as long as it's not over eating). There's some stuff I knew about insulin and some stuff I didn't, for instance I knew that I am insulin resistant and prolly was for many years before I became diabetic, as a result my body naturally started producing more insulin on it's own to control blood sugar. Eventually it couldn't handle the load so now they give me drugs to make me produce MORE insulin than even that, and this process will continue till they burn out my fucking pancreas and then I'll have to take insulin injections..... Now here's the fucking kicker, yes insulin does get the sugar in your blood into the cells. and that is imperative as sugar in your blood is like having balls of razor blades tearing up your body from the inside. HOWEVER, insulin also controls your body's impulse for storing fat, AND your hunger triggers. You know that joke about eating Chinese food and being hungry an hour later? Yea.... insulin is the culprit. So increasing insulin triggers your body to attempt to store more of the food you eat as fat, and makes you uncontrollably hungry all the fucking time. This only makes you MORE insulin resistant over time... yea, nice little death-spiral here. I kinda already knew this to an extent, well when you eat so much your stomach is about to burst and your crying because you still feel like you're dying of hunger you kinda figure out something is wrong inside your body. However when you get to that point no one gives a fuck, they just say you lack self control.

It's like someone who's been doped up on roids and can't control their anger, or how the T shot can cause anger, or how a woman's monthly cycle can cause all sorts of emotional swings. My ex wife had.... a very rough cycle, I always felt so helpless and upset seeing her in so much pain, and generally terrified of how she might react if I said/did anything wrong during that time. It is FAR outside a persons ability to control and the urges are beyond overwhelming, but many skinny fucks are stupid and just assume fat people are lazy or lack self control. This of course sucks cause you can't win with them (my parents are a good example of this they hate fat people). And yet, lack of self control is possibly almost never the culprit here. None of us knew eating so much bread (cereal for breakfast anyone?) would cause almost half the population to become insulin resistant which in turn is the single greatest direct cause of obesity in this country.... well.... none of us normal fucks, I'd be willing to bet the farmers and CEO's in charge of pushing this poison down our throats all these years knew. Just like with tobacco.

The thing is you need fat to live, you need amino acids and proteins to live, you need some vitamins and minerals too to live. The one food you eat that you need absolutely 0 of is carbs. You could have a 0 carb diet your whole life and be perfectly healthy. And for someone like me, low carb or no carb is the ONLY way to be healthy. I wish I knew this 30 years ago, or someone told my mom this, she's been on an anti fat campaign my entire life and as a result caused the thing she hates more than anything (obesity).

The worst part of all of this, if your poor the only food you can afford is essentially poison, try eating a low carb diet on a budget of less than 100 dollars a month. Good luck.

These are my findings, it's damn near impossible to find anything even remotely reliable (or that meets the rigorous standards used in science) regarding to food and diet. Seems like 99% of the information out there is obvious bullshit yet people still buy into it. So I thought I'd share here and get other peoples thoughts and opinions. Clearly biology is complicated and I've tried to boil it down as best I could, hopefully I didn't bastardize anything too much in doing so.

Sources

This last one contains calculations regarding measuring weight loss through what you breath out your face.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like JesseB's post
01-07-2017, 07:50 AM
RE: I kinda wanna talk about my being a fatass.
Also sugar... I forgot to mention sugar... sugar is bad. I mean a reasonable amount of sugar from eating a healthy portion of fruits is totally fine, but stuffing sugar into every fucking food is just wrong. I have heard they put so much sugar in a single can of soda your body responds to it like poison, so to keep you from throwing up coke every time you drink it they put chemicals in to keep you from throwing up, which is why my mom always gave me soda when I had the flu, people figured out a long time ago drinking soda reduced the urge to throw up.... now you know why.... good times eh?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
01-07-2017, 08:14 AM
I consider the avoidance of added sweeteners (sugar, honey, corn syrup, agave nectar, etc., it's nutritionally all the same crap) to be one of the most significant changes a person can make to lose weight and keep it off, diabetic or not. I have some sort of dessert maybe once every week or two, and usually preceding an intense workout so I can at least capitalize on the increased protein absorbtion properties of ensuing insulin rush, but I don't believe for a second that it isn't setting me back overall, even if just a little. In my day to day life I generally treat it like poison. No soda, I drink my coffee black, no "I deserve this because of my workout." No matter how someone tries to convince themselves otherwise, the fact is every time you put refined fructose in your body you are moving further away from any fitness or weight loss related goals. Even if one chooses not to reduce carbohydrates in general, sweeteners are not a good source by any of the numerous dietary protocols regardless of what differences they might have.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
01-07-2017, 08:22 AM
I think it's about moderation and creating a balance in your life. And finding an exercise or sport you enjoy doing. Above all though, IMO, it's about honoring yourself where you're at and loving yourself as is. Then it's much easier to make changes when you're not beating yourself up for not looking a certain way.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-07-2017, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 08:46 AM by JesseB.)
(01-07-2017 08:14 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I consider the avoidance of added sweeteners (sugar, honey, corn syrup, agave nectar, etc., it's nutritionally all the same crap) to be one of the most significant changes a person can make to lose weight and keep it off, diabetic or not. I have some sort of dessert maybe once every week or two, and usually preceding an intense workout so I can at least capitalize on the increased protein absorbtion properties of ensuing insulin rush, but I don't believe for a second that it isn't setting me back overall, even if just a little. In my day to day life I generally treat it like poison. No soda, I drink my coffee black, no "I deserve this because of my workout." No matter how someone tries to convince themselves otherwise, the fact is every time you put refined fructose in your body you are moving further away from any fitness or weight loss related goals. Even if one chooses not to reduce carbohydrates in general, sweeteners are not a good source by any of the numerous dietary protocols regardless of what differences they might have.

While I generally agree with you here, my thing isn't so much just about weight loss. Controlling carbs is the single best way to control both blood sugar and insulin levels and to a diabetic that's a matter of life and death. Also, sugars are carbs, I should point that out so controlling sweetener is included in controlling carbs. Frankly if a diabetic person manages to control their sugar levels and insulin levels they will by default loose weight all the way down to becoming healthy again. It is a very different thing than a normal person just wanting to loose weight. I apologize if I wasn't clear on this. And I've heard estimates that close to half the US population is insulin resistant already, anyone insulin resistant is really in the same boat as someone Diabetic only, if they can fix it now they can avoid the devastation that diabetes brings.

@Jenny bee, same to your comment too ^ I don't know how much ya'll know about diabetes but blood sugar and insulin is what's killing me, not weight or um... not liking my weight. This isn't about looking pretty, this is about not dying. Even skinny I don't think I'd look pretty so that's not a goal of mine at all anyway.

Edit^ my closest childhood friend Ben, if he's still alive (he kinda stopped talking to everyone to spend what time he has left with his family) Is (or already has) dying/died from Diabetes. Now unlike me he was never insulin resistant. He had "childhood" diabetes aka type 1, that's an entirely different beast, where as my body produces insulin (in fact more so than yours does cause it has to) his body produces NO insulin and hasn't since he was a kid. It's not the same as type 2 which is what I have.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
01-07-2017, 08:39 AM
I agree, added sugar, any processed sugars, is bad. And I have read that sugar substitutes trick the body to react the same.

Thing is, once you get your sugar cravings filled from fresh fruit for some time, you won't even like the taste of sugar additives.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-07-2017, 08:42 AM
(01-07-2017 08:36 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:14 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I consider the avoidance of added sweeteners (sugar, honey, corn syrup, agave nectar, etc., it's nutritionally all the same crap) to be one of the most significant changes a person can make to lose weight and keep it off, diabetic or not. I have some sort of dessert maybe once every week or two, and usually preceding an intense workout so I can at least capitalize on the increased protein absorbtion properties of ensuing insulin rush, but I don't believe for a second that it isn't setting me back overall, even if just a little. In my day to day life I generally treat it like poison. No soda, I drink my coffee black, no "I deserve this because of my workout." No matter how someone tries to convince themselves otherwise, the fact is every time you put refined fructose in your body you are moving further away from any fitness or weight loss related goals. Even if one chooses not to reduce carbohydrates in general, sweeteners are not a good source by any of the numerous dietary protocols regardless of what differences they might have.

While I generally agree with you here, my thing isn't so much just about weight loss. Controlling carbs is the single best way to control both blood sugar and insulin levels and to a diabetic that's a matter of life and death. Literally. Frankly if a diabetic person manages to control their sugar levels and insulin levels they will by default loose weight all the way down to becoming healthy again. It is a very different thing than a normal person just wanting to loose weight. I apologize if I wasn't clear on this. And I've heard estimates that close to half the US population is insulin resistant already, anyone insulin resistant is really in the same boat as someone Diabetic only, if they can fix it now they can avoid the devastation that diabetes brings.

@Jenny bee, same to your comment too ^ I don't know how much ya'll know about diabetes but blood sugar and insulin is what's killing me, not weight or um... not liking my weight. This isn't about looking pretty, this is about not dying. Even skinny I don't think I'd look pretty so that's not a goal of mine at all anyway.

Edit^ my closest childhood friend Ben, if he's still alive (he kinda stopped talking to everyone to spend what time he has left with his family) Is (or already has) dying from Diabetes.

If you go low/no carb, you will have to do something about fiber.

In the short run you will be fine most likely, in the long run it will mess with your digestive system. Make sure you have fiber. You can always take physillium husk caps with lots of water if you can't use enough veggies to guarantee proper fiber content.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-07-2017, 08:43 AM
(01-07-2017 07:36 AM)JesseB Wrote:  You could have a 0 carb diet your whole life and be perfectly healthy. And for someone like me, low carb or no carb is the ONLY way to be healthy.

The five points diet of the second video didn't say to avoid carbs except for grains, potatoes, and sugar (time 12:40). You can still eat fruits and vegetables, and typically whole foods with plenty of fiber digest slowly enough that you can avoid the sugar spikes which plague dieters and diabetics. Refined and other carbs which digest too quickly are the real enemies.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
01-07-2017, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 08:52 AM by JesseB.)
(01-07-2017 08:43 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 07:36 AM)JesseB Wrote:  You could have a 0 carb diet your whole life and be perfectly healthy. And for someone like me, low carb or no carb is the ONLY way to be healthy.

The five points diet of the second video didn't say to avoid carbs except for grains, potatoes, and sugar (time 12:40). You can still eat fruits and vegetables, and typically whole foods with plenty of fiber digest slowly enough that you can avoid the sugar spikes which plague dieters and diabetics. Refined and other carbs which digest too quickly are the real enemies.

Correct, she did not advocate a NO carb diet, she advocated a LOW carb diet, which is good too. Her diet is easier I think to maintain and prolly better all around cause while you don't NEED carbs as long as it's not too much carbs are ok to have (my dr said I can have basically 1 slice of bread a day and be ok, for example). Also a high fiber diet slows down how quickly your body absorbs sugars and carbs reducing the immediate impact of those foods on your blood sugar (something my Dr told me), if you can eat I think it was 40-60 fibers a day it can go a LONG way to evening out blood sugar. However carbs spike insulin, low/no carb diets are teh ONLY way to control insulin and blood sugar through diet alone. And since all medications SPIKE insulin, the no/low carb diet options are the ONLY way to both control blood sugar and prevent the eventual onset of type 1 diabetes (type 2 becomes type 1 when your pancreas gets so tired from all the extra work that it quits completely making insulin at which point things will go downhill fast).

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
01-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Also, I should confess... I didn't sleep last night... I saw a giant ass spider in my bed and was like NOPE.... so I'm a bit tired, apologies if I'm not explaining my position as well as I can (no joke that damn spider was like 4 inches big)

Big Grin