I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive
Sometimes I'll look at the odd scripture to see what podcasters or bloggers are referring to, etc., but that's about it. I don't want to be a quote miner; I want to be able to cite it intelligently.
And I know I should read the bible--really, I think I should--but I feel after 35 years (I'm 50 now) of having it shoved down my throat in a selective manner, and always HATING going to church in the first place, it's pretty repulsive to me.
Today I found myself looking at the issue of the end of the book of Mark being tacked on after the fact, and reading the account of Jesus' death and resurrection. I was stunned at how it made me feel, or rather, the feelings it recalled: I found myself feeling something like a reverent sorrow, like "that poor Jesus, so persecuted for us, and he took it all like a champ, and then the pain, and then having it all be worth it cuz he came back to life and triumphed..." It was like a powerful vacuum from the past, sucking me in. Of course, I wasn't buying any of it, but the FEELINGS....It's hard to describe. (Plus I still think Handel's Messiah is some of the most beautiful music out there, including "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth." I allow myself this, but still have a hard time listening to it. Mixed up, I know.)
Maybe this is why I don't read the bible more: this visceral reaction. How sick!!! My young Princeton-educated non-believing daughter accused me of of still believing on some level (we had a long-into-the-night discussion last xmas on my preoccupation with the harms and evil of religion). I don't think it's that I believe; I think it's this emotional conditioning.
Still, I'd like to be able to read the stupid thing without having this distasteful reaction. Ugh! Anyone else have this type of experience?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2012, 11:30 PM
RE: I know I should read the bible, but it's repulsive
May I suggest an easier way to read the bible?

Click on the thread 'An Atheist Critique of The Bible' by Buddy Christ as this is a much easier version to digest (and much more fun).

If not, then I suggest a 40 litre bucket by your side! Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
30-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Aren't you a little old for peer pressure? o.O

I've had peeps tell me you should watch the news or you should work out; I just don't talk to them peeps no morez. Bible's fucking nasty; I've had three copies, they all ended up in the trash. There's plenty of on-line resource from both sides on that particular work of fiction.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 06:42 AM
I decided to read it a wee while back. I did not enjoy it. Freakin' awful.

[Image: opforum1.png]
30-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I have trouble reading it too. The old testament is either boring with all the who begat whom stuff, or it is violent and ugly, it doesn't have much redeeming value at all. It's about an evil war god.

The new testament is better, it reads more like a fairy tale. It's just quite unbelievable in many places.

Anyway, I decided, why bother. It just annoys me.

Liking the music - there is nothing wrong with that. Like I said elsewhere - you don't have to throw out the baby with the bath water.

There are some churches with awesome architecture, awesome paintings and statues, and some of the music is great.

Churches, nobility and government had the funds to hire some extraordinary artists and architects. Their skill is not affected by who put bread on their table. So we have some wonderful old castles, churches and government buildings like old city halls.

If these things appeal to you, don't worry about it, just enjoy.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-04-2012, 07:29 AM
(29-04-2012 09:04 PM)socken Wrote:  Still, I'd like to be able to read the stupid thing without having this distasteful reaction. Ugh! Anyone else have this type of experience?
Sort of. I'm not necessarily disgusted by it. I just lack any sort of motivation to read it. I know I should probably have an idea of what the religion and its source material are all about if I'm going to make an argument against it. But I get the feeling that I'm going to interpret the message in a completely different way than someone who actually likes reading it and already agrees with the message. For one thing, I won't skip or dismiss the bad parts...
[+] 1 user Likes Michael D.'s post
30-04-2012, 08:21 AM
If you need an easier way to actually read the bible I suggest http://www.thomasandthebible.com/. His side commentary while not always the most riveting really helps to keep going as he reads it for you. It's much easier to feel a bit less offended by the Bible when the person reading it to you is also offended. Just a tip you might find helpful, since you seem interested in having read it. Buddy's thread is a wonderful abridgement of the bible, but if you want to know the actual passages it's not quite enough.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
30-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Why do you think you should read it? Why bother, if it makes you feel weird, and you don't like the feeling, don't read it. You had your reasons to distance yourself from it.
If you think you must, why not just keep going with the quotes that people give on forums or videos and just check them, and if the very section of the bible is of more interest to you, read that.
No one is holding a gun to you head and forces you to read it.

I tried to read it a few times. But I never made it past the first few pages. It is so unbelievably boring. And the things I check from quotes that I pick up every now and then are not better in any way.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Leela's post
30-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I seriously agree with Leela and others, I simply tried giving you a hint as far as tackling something if you want to. Remember that the average person who suggests you read the bible has not read it cover to cover. Almost every layman has the same type of understanding you do. A verse is mentioned and they read that particular one, or they open the book to a random page and read. Actually reading the book front to back is generally saved for bible schools.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
30-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Just read the damn thing. Like R rated movies provide any less shock factor.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post